FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-11-2012, 08:57 AM
David Goodenough
 
Default Linux TV tuner

On Tuesday 10 Apr 2012, Sian Mountbatten wrote:
> I have decided to get a USB TV tuner so that I can use it with my
> sid(uction) box. I am in the UK. Will I need a TV licence?
It dependsa. The tuner does not need a licence, the premises does.
So if there is already a TV there you are fine, but if this is the
only TV then yes, you do need a licence.

David


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201204110957.10919.david.goodenough@btconnect.com" >http://lists.debian.org/201204110957.10919.david.goodenough@btconnect.com
 
Old 04-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Sian Mountbatten
 
Default Linux TV tuner

On 11/04/12 10:20, David Goodenough wrote:

On Tuesday 10 Apr 2012, Sian Mountbatten wrote:

I have decided to get a USB TV tuner so that I can use it with my
sid(uction) box. I am in the UK. Will I need a TV licence?

It dependsa. The tuner does not need a licence, the premises does.
So if there is already a TV there you are fine, but if this is the
only TV then yes, you do need a licence.

David



Thanx. I've now paid for a colour licence. So I'm covered.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: jm3m7m$j88$1@speranza.aioe.org">http://lists.debian.org/jm3m7m$j88$1@speranza.aioe.org
 
Old 04-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Arnt Karlsen
 
Default Linux TV tuner

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 07:49:04 +0100, Dom wrote in message
<4F852960.5040606@rpdom.net>:

> On 11/04/12 07:09, Alan Chandler wrote:
> > On 10/04/12 22:24, Lisi wrote:
> >> On Tuesday 10 April 2012 21:50:44 Sian Mountbatten wrote:
> >>> I have decided to get a USB TV tuner so that I can use it with my
> >>> sid(uction) box. I am in the UK. Will I need a TV licence?
> >> I think so. But I also believe that you can get round it by
> >> watching iPlayer
> >> etc. over the internet. IANL of course!
> > Unfortunately you can't. You still need a TV licence to watch via
> > iPlayer. It says so on the BBC web site.
> >
>
> It is true that you need a TV licence to watch programmes that are
> currently being broadcast ("as the programmes are being broadcast,
> simulcast or otherwise made available by the BBC on television").
>
> However, programmes that were are not being broadcast at the time may
> be watched, in the UK only, without a TV licence, for as long as they
> are available on iplayer. The BBC would like to close this loophole.
>

..what happens if e.g. Sian creates her own TV broadcasts,
e.g. by putting a camera and a TV transmitter aboard a R/C
model aircraft, FPV style, but specifically to show common
TV watchers her own version of e.g. life in the communities
around Mount Battenberg?

--
..med vennlig hilsen = with Kind Regards from Arnt Karlsen
...with a number of polar bear hunters in his ancestry...
Scenarios always come in sets of three:
best case, worst case, and just in case.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120411184845.733ee367@nb6.lan">http://lists.debian.org/20120411184845.733ee367@nb6.lan
 
Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Lisi
 
Default Linux TV tuner

On Wednesday 11 April 2012 17:48:45 Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> ..what happens if e.g. Sian creates her own TV broadcasts,
> e.g. by putting a camera and a TV transmitter aboard a R/C
> model aircraft, FPV style, but specifically to show common
> TV watchers her own version of e.g. life in the communities
> around Mount Battenberg? *

If she hasn't got a TV she doesn't need a TV licence, if she has she does.

But she would almost certainly need a licence to broadcast. The airwaves are
jealously guarded.

What would be wrong, from her point of view, with Youtube, or her own website?
Why broadcast?

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201204121022.41425.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201204121022.41425.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Paul Lewis
 
Default Linux TV tuner

On 12/04/12 10:22:41, Lisi wrote:

> Why broadcast?
>

Which leads me to ask the question. Is putting stuff on an internet
server and inviting people to view it, broadcasting?

And if you do that in addition to broadcasting, are you entitled to
charge a licence fee to those people who just use a PC for the web and
don't own a conventional TV to access your previously broadcast
material?

My feeling is, No and No.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1334222973.4173.1@kingston">http://lists.debian.org/1334222973.4173.1@kingston
 
Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Andrei POPESCU
 
Default Linux TV tuner

On Jo, 12 apr 12, 10:29:33, Paul Lewis wrote:
> On 12/04/12 10:22:41, Lisi wrote:
>
> > Why broadcast?
> >
>
> Which leads me to ask the question. Is putting stuff on an internet
> server and inviting people to view it, broadcasting?

The internet is (still) a free(dom) medium, you are entitled to
distribute stuff within the ToS agreed with your ISP and your local
laws.

> And if you do that in addition to broadcasting, are you entitled to
> charge a licence fee to those people who just use a PC for the web and
> don't own a conventional TV to access your previously broadcast
> material?

You may charge whatever you want for stuff you distribute assuming you
have the legal right to do so (e.g. you own the copyright).

Kind regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Arnt Karlsen
 
Default Linux TV tuner

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 13:20:53 +0300, Andrei wrote in message
<20120412102053.GF4455@sid.nuvreauspam>:

> On Jo, 12 apr 12, 10:29:33, Paul Lewis wrote:
> > On 12/04/12 10:22:41, Lisi wrote:
> >
> > > Why broadcast?
> > >
> >
> > Which leads me to ask the question. Is putting stuff on an internet
> > server and inviting people to view it, broadcasting?
>
> The internet is (still) a free(dom) medium, you are entitled to
> distribute stuff within the ToS agreed with your ISP and your local
> laws.
>
> > And if you do that in addition to broadcasting, are you entitled to
> > charge a licence fee to those people who just use a PC for the web
> > and don't own a conventional TV to access your previously broadcast
> > material?
>
> You may charge whatever you want for stuff you distribute assuming
> you have the legal right to do so (e.g. you own the copyright).
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

..and I understand the civilized countries has legislation protecting
the competition among copyright owners to encourage cheap publishment
of content for the benefit of the tax paying consumer and voter? ;o)

--
..med vennlig hilsen = with Kind Regards from Arnt Karlsen
...with a number of polar bear hunters in his ancestry...
Scenarios always come in sets of three:
best case, worst case, and just in case.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120412221754.4bafba28@nb6.lan">http://lists.debian.org/20120412221754.4bafba28@nb6.lan
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:20 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org