Old 04-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Gary Roach

Default What files to backup

I have three standard Debian Squeeze systems and am setting up Backuppc
to backup to an extra hard drive I have on one of the systems. I plan on
backing up the following directories:

/etc
/home
/var/www (An Apache server resides on one of the systems)
Is there anything else that should be included.

Gary R.

Archive: 4F84CB56.9040705@verizon.net">http://lists.debian.org/4F84CB56.9040705@verizon.net

Old 04-11-2012, 12:26 AM
"Mat Enders"

If you have mysql installed then also /var/lib/mysql

Sorry about the top post but BlackBerry only does top posting
Mat Enders from my BlackBerry®

Old 04-11-2012, 12:29 AM
Walter Hurry

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 17:07:50 -0700, Gary Roach wrote:

> I have three standard Debian Squeeze systems and am setting up Backuppc
> to backup to an extra hard drive I have on one of the systems. I plan on
> backing up the following directories:
> /etc /home /var/www (An Apache server resides on one of the
> systems)
> Is there anything else that should be included.

It depends.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:14 AM
Brad Alexander

What I do for my mysql boxes is that I wrote a script to do a
mysqldump, since I don't think that restoring /var/lib/mysql will work
cleanly.

You can then do a pre-command to dump the db before the backup:

$Conf{DumpPreUserCmd} = '$sshPath -q -x $host sudo /usr/local/sbin/dbdump';

--b

Old 04-11-2012, 03:11 AM
Bob Proulx

Brad Alexander wrote:
> Mat Enders wrote:
> > Is there anything else that should be included.

I find /var/backups to contain very useful information such as the
names and versions of all packages that are installed which is useful
to a recovery. Here is a minimum list for me.

/etc
/home
/usr/local
/var/backups
/var/mail
/var/spool/cron

If you use /srv then it would have local data too.

> What I do for my mysql boxes is that I wrote a script to do a
> mysqldump, since I don't think that restoring /var/lib/mysql will work
> cleanly.

Yes. For an example I do this in /etc/cron.d/local-mysql:

30 3 * * * root umask 077 ; mysqldump --defaults-file=/etc/mysql/debian.cnf --all-databases | gzip > /var/backups/mysql.dump ; savelog -q -d -l -C /var/backups/mysql.dump

That dumps a copy of the data and uses savelog to make datestamped
files so that it backs up nicely. For example from a system here:

-rw------- 1 root root 11755247 2012-04-04 03:30 mysql.dump.20120404033012
-rw------- 1 root root 11755247 2012-04-05 03:30 mysql.dump.20120405033030
-rw------- 1 root root 11755248 2012-04-06 03:30 mysql.dump.20120406033012
-rw------- 1 root root 11755248 2012-04-07 03:30 mysql.dump.20120407033013
-rw------- 1 root root 11755247 2012-04-08 03:30 mysql.dump.20120408033016
-rw------- 1 root root 11755247 2012-04-09 03:30 mysql.dump.20120409033016
-rw------- 1 root root 11755248 2012-04-10 03:30 mysql.dump.20120410033013

> You can then do a pre-command to dump the db before the backup:
> $Conf{DumpPreUserCmd} = '$sshPath -q -x $host sudo /usr/local/sbin/dbdump';

Since I do the db dump daily by cron I simply backup the daily dumped
file. But certainly running the dump in the DumpPreUserCmd script
would cause the backup to have the latest copy of the db as possible.
A good way to do it.

Bob

Old 04-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Rob Owens

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 09:11:55PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Brad Alexander wrote:
> > Mat Enders wrote:
> > > Is there anything else that should be included.
>
> I find /var/backups to contain very useful information such as the
> names and versions of all packages that are installed which is useful
> to a recovery. Here is a minimum list for me.
>
> /etc
> /home
> /usr/local
> /var/backups
> /var/mail
> /var/spool/cron
>
> If you use /srv then it would have local data too.

And maybe /opt as well.

-rob

Old 04-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Rob Owens

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 08:12:05AM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 09:11:55PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Brad Alexander wrote:
> >
> > I find /var/backups to contain very useful information such as the
> > names and versions of all packages that are installed which is useful
> > to a recovery. Here is a minimum list for me.
> >
> > /etc
> > /home
> > /usr/local
> > /var/backups
> > /var/mail
> > /var/spool/cron
> >
> > If you use /srv then it would have local data too.
> >
> And maybe /opt as well.

Oh, and I also exclude /home/$USER/tmp. I tell users to put
large-but-unimportant files there, so they will not clog up my backups
(especially the offsite over-the-internet backups). I don't think most
of my users respect that rule, but I do and it keeps several hundred
gigabytes of unimportant video clips and rips out of my backup drive.

-Rob

Old 04-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Julien Groselle

Hi,
I use this line to backup my entire computer :rsync -avhHPS --exclude={dev,sys,proc,mnt,tmp,media} / <dest>/`date +%Y-%m-%d-%T`/

Nothing is forget except the "exclude" rep.
--*JG

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120412121205.GA30565@aurora.owens.net

Old 04-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Andreas Weber

> Is there anything else that should be included.

If you want to quickly reinstall after ... whatever, then save your
installed packages before applying the file copy:

dpkg --get-selections | grep -v 'deinstall$' >
'/home/example/installed_packages.txt'

HTH, ändu