Old 04-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Andre Majorel

Default debmirror: saving old release before clean-up

One of the releases I'm debmirror-ing (Lenny) has disappeared
from the mirror I'm mirroring off. Before I remove that release
from the debmirror command line, I'd like to save those packages
somewhere.

First thought is to generate a list of file names from
dists/lenny/*/binary-i386/Packages.gz and pipe that into cpio
-pdl /somewhere/else but maybe there's an easier way ?

Thanks in advance.

--
André Majorel <http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
Thousands of verified email addresses available from bugs.debian.org.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:48 AM
Bob Proulx

Andre Majorel wrote:
> One of the releases I'm debmirror-ing (Lenny) has disappeared
> from the mirror I'm mirroring off. Before I remove that release
> from the debmirror command line, I'd like to save those packages
> somewhere.

I am in exactly the same situation. I have some special cases that
need special handling. A little disk space now speeds things up
later.

> First thought is to generate a list of file names from
> dists/lenny/*/binary-i386/Packages.gz and pipe that into cpio
> -pdl /somewhere/else but maybe there's an easier way ?

In my case I simply set up a separate mirror for Lenny and pointed the
upstream source to my local mirror. Then ran the mirror script to
pull the packages from the existing local mirror into the new lenny
mirror. The packages transfer very quickly since it is all local
copying.

Then after that mirror was done then I updated the lenny,squeeze
mirror to be squeeze only which automatically freed up the disk space
consumed by the lenny packages. This temporarily requires twice the
amount of space of the packages from Lenny. But it is only temporary.

This worked out well since the packages for lenny (oldstable) are in a
usuable form in a mirrored repository location. Plus it uses exactly
the same mirror tools as I was already using.

If you were inclined then after transfering your packages locally you
could point to archive.debian.org afterward and have the mirror script
verify that it is up to date. But there is no need for any type of
regular updates since there are no more updates now or in the future
for Lenny now that it has been archived.

Bob

Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Andre Majorel

On 2012-04-10 20:48 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> In my case I simply set up a separate mirror for Lenny and pointed the
> upstream source to my local mirror. Then ran the mirror script to
> pull the packages from the existing local mirror into the new lenny
> mirror. The packages transfer very quickly since it is all local
> copying.
>
> Then after that mirror was done then I updated the lenny,squeeze
> mirror to be squeeze only which automatically freed up the disk space
> consumed by the lenny packages. This temporarily requires twice the
> amount of space of the packages from Lenny. But it is only temporary.

Sneaky. I'll look if I can hack debmirror to avoid the copy.
Thanks.

--
André Majorel <http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
bugs.debian.org - serving the spamming community for more than a decade.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:00 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Jo, 12 apr 12, 22:31:16, Andre Majorel wrote:

> Sneaky. I'll look if I can hack debmirror to avoid the copy.
> Thanks.

hardlinks? (assuming it's the same filesystem)

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 04-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Bob Proulx

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> Andre Majorel wrote:
> > Sneaky. I'll look if I can hack debmirror to avoid the copy.
> > Thanks.
>
> hardlinks? (assuming it's the same filesystem)

On my system with local disks I think it took less than an hour to
copy the Lenny 48G of source and binaries for i386 and amd64
architectures. I doubt it is worthwhile to try to hack the scripts to
avoid it just to save an hour of time. Easier to just copy it and be
done with it.

Bob