Old 04-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Jon Dowland

Default Unstable: Gimp requires dbus and gconf2 now? fail.

On 10/04/12 10:58, Dirk wrote:
> dbus and gconf2 are just as shit and will be replaced too.

Last I heard dbus was going strong - even looking at offloading work to
the kernel (harnessing existing kernel messaging systems e.g. netlink)
to improve performance.

I grudgingly use GIMP but wish I didn't have to. Dependencies on DBUS
and gconf2 are the least of its problems (if you consider those problems
at all). "MyPaint", which has been packaged, looks like a possibly
replacement.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 09:58:17 +0000, Dirk wrote:

(...)

> I am sick and tired of having to see his bullshit daemons...

All of the above sounded a bit rude >:-/

> Luckily I am using unstable can warn everyone who cares about this
> shitstorm.

Can you point to that hard requirement? Just curious in knowing what's
coming...

I ask because in Wheezy marking "dbus" or "gconf2" to be deleted do not
seem to require GIMP to be removed so it may come from a secondary level
of suggested/recommended package and thus can be avoided.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-11-2012, 06:10 AM
Kelly Clowers

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 02:58, Dirk <yqlsxepzrclk@mailinator.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> can we please stay clear of all cancers Havoc Pennington has done?

That seems unnecessarily rude.

> HAL was shit and got replaced.

It was better than what came before it <shrug>.

> dbus and gconf2 are just as shit and will be replaced too.

Gconf was good for it's time. Even now it isn't horrible, we just have
something better.

dbus is very good as IPC mechanisms go. From everything I know, much
nicer than corba or com/dcom (though those also do more). Better than
dcop, which heavily inspired it I believe.

> I am sick and tired of having to see his bullshit daemons...

Again, seems unnecessarily rude

> Luckily I am using unstable can warn everyone who cares about this
> shitstorm.

Actually I do not see anywhere where gimp even depends on gconf.
And I haven't seen any shitstorms about gconf or dbus, unless this
thread qualifies...

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 04-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Miles Bader

Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> writes:
> I grudgingly use GIMP but wish I didn't have to. Dependencies on
> DBUS and gconf2 are the least of its problems (if you consider those
> problems at all). "MyPaint", which has been packaged, looks like a
> possibly replacement.

Hmm, if having almost no functionality at all is acceptable.....

[Gimp may have its weirdnesses, but it does a _lot_ of stuff.]

-miles

--
Happiness, n. An agreeable sensation arising from contemplating the misery of
another.