-   -   Bonded network: "No route to host" between slaves (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/654320-bonded-network-no-route-host-between-slaves.html)

Bob Proulx 04-09-2012 09:52 PM

Seyyed Mohtadin Hashemi wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Is there some reason that you are choosing not to use a switch that
> > you haven't told us about?
>
> I have no reason other than I'm trying different network configurations to
> learn how to do different things. I already have established a network
> config using a switch that did all the things i described earlier, i wanted
> to see is it was possible to make it work only using NICs.

Learning is good! I am fully supportive of gaining experience with
different configurations.

In this case a configuration which might be more generally useful
would be a router configuration. Instead of bridging (or bonding)
different network cards together something which I often need to do is
to set up a route between them. (Windows calls this Internet
Sharing.) If you were trying different configurations for the
purposes of learning then I would definitely queue up a router
configuration.

My favorite helper for this is Shorewall. It builds the iptables
rules from simpler rules. I like it. Others like other tools. Still
others like writing everything in small detail themselves. For
something that I think is useful to work through I would look through
this documentation and work through the examples there.

http://www.shorewall.net/two-interface.htm

Bob

Seyyed Mohtadin Hashemi 04-10-2012 09:24 AM

Bonded network: "No route to host" between slaves

Seyyed Mohtadin Hashemi wrote:

> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Is there some reason that you are choosing not to use a switch that

> > you haven't told us about?

> I have no reason other than I'm trying different network configurations to

> learn how to do different things. I already have established a network

> config using a switch that did all the things i described earlier, i wanted
> to see is it was possible to make it work only using NICs.

Learning is good! I am fully supportive of gaining experience with
different configurations.

In this case a configuration which might be more generally useful
would be a router configuration. Instead of bridging (or bonding)

different network cards together something which I often need to do is

to set up a route between them. (Windows calls this Internet
Sharing.) If you were trying different configurations for the

purposes of learning then I would definitely queue up a router

configuration.

My favorite helper for this is Shorewall. It builds the iptables
rules from simpler rules. I like it. Others like other tools. Still

others like writing everything in small detail themselves. For

something that I think is useful to work through I would look through
this documentation and work through the examples there.

Thanks, i'll make sure to do some experiments during this or the next week.*

http://www.shorewall.net/two-interface.htm

Bob

As for the original problem, the bridge config you suggested works. I tested the connection speed and integrity by transferring a 1gb file several times between the different computers, this is the results i got:

For bonded network:desktop 1 --> server: *399Mbitdesktop 2 --> server: *387Mbitdesktop 1 --> desktop 2: Host unreachable
For bridged network:

desktop 1 --> server: *834Mbitdesktop 2 --> server: *832Mbitdesktop 1 --> desktop 2: *390Mbit
have a nice day.

Andrei POPESCU 04-12-2012 09:43 AM

On Lu, 09 apr 12, 15:52:30, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Learning is good! I am fully supportive of gaining experience with
> different configurations.
>
> In this case a configuration which might be more generally useful
> would be a router configuration. Instead of bridging (or bonding)
> different network cards together something which I often need to do is
> to set up a route between them. (Windows calls this Internet
> Sharing.) If you were trying different configurations for the
> purposes of learning then I would definitely queue up a router
> configuration.

+1

> My favorite helper for this is Shorewall. It builds the iptables
> rules from simpler rules. I like it. Others like other tools. Still
> others like writing everything in small detail themselves. For
> something that I think is useful to work through I would look through
> this documentation and work through the examples there.
>
> http://www.shorewall.net/two-interface.htm

+1

For extra points use the bridge interface for the "lan" side :)

Kind regards,
Andrei