-   -   aptitude safe-upgrade stops with a timeout. (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/654216-aptitude-safe-upgrade-stops-timeout.html)

Hendrik Boom 04-09-2012 04:52 PM

aptitude safe-upgrade stops with a timeout.

I just did a routine

aptitude safe-upgrade

from the root command-line on an 1386 Debian testing system. Here are
the past few lines in its output. Is this anything to worry about? Or
just an unimportant problem that will fix itself in some future upgrade?

setting up tassksel-data
setting up tasksel
Processing triggers for mane ...
Processing triggers for python-support ...
Error: Timeout was reached

Current status: 328 updates [-159]
notlookedfor:~ #

"notlookedfor" is the machine name, part of the root shell prompt.

-- hendrik

Guo Yixuan 05-15-2012 01:20 PM

aptitude safe-upgrade stops with a timeout.

from the root command-line on an 1386 Debian testing system. Here are
the past few lines in its output. Is this anything to worry about? Or
just an unimportant problem that will fix itself in some future upgrade?

setting up tassksel-data
setting up tasksel
Processing triggers for mane ...
Processing triggers for python-support ...
Error: Timeout was reached

Current status: 328 updates [-159]
notlookedfor:~ #

"notlookedfor" is the machine name, part of the root shell prompt.

-- hendrik

Hi,

I also get warnings like this recently. It starts about two weeks ago,
and a internet search doesn't turn up many useful results on this
problem, only with some similar report for ubuntu.

Searching "Timeout was reached" in aptitude's source code doesn't have
any results either... maybe its a bug in something that aptitude depends
on (such as apt or dpkg).

Regards,

Guo Yixuan

Archive: 4FB25833.2010603@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FB25833.2010603@gmail.com

songbird 05-15-2012 02:49 PM

Guo Yixuan wrote:
>Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> I just did a routine
>>
>> aptitude safe-upgrade
>>
>> from the root command-line on an 1386 Debian testing system. Here are
>> the past few lines in its output. Is this anything to worry about? Or
>> just an unimportant problem that will fix itself in some future upgrade?
>>
>> setting up tassksel-data
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

if this is not a typo on your part then
this could be a problem elsewhere:

"tassksel-data" is not a package, but "tasksel-data" is...

>> setting up tasksel
>> Processing triggers for mane ...
>> Processing triggers for python-support ...
>> Error: Timeout was reached
>>
>> Current status: 328 updates [-159]
>> notlookedfor:~ #
>>
>> "notlookedfor" is the machine name, part of the root shell prompt.
>>
>> -- hendrik
>
> Hi,
>
> I also get warnings like this recently. It starts about two weeks ago,
> and a internet search doesn't turn up many useful results on this
> problem, only with some similar report for ubuntu.
>
> Searching "Timeout was reached" in aptitude's source code doesn't have
> any results either... maybe its a bug in something that aptitude depends
> on (such as apt or dpkg).

songbird

Chris Bannister 05-16-2012 04:08 AM

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:49:40AM -0400, songbird wrote:
> Guo Yixuan wrote:
>
> if this is not a typo on your part then
> this could be a problem elsewhere:
>
> "tassksel-data" is not a package, but "tasksel-data" is...
>
> > Searching "Timeout was reached" in aptitude's source code doesn't have
> > any results either... maybe its a bug in something that aptitude depends
> > on (such as apt or dpkg).

It would be interesting to see what "apt-get -f install" says.

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

Dominique Brazziel 08-08-2012 12:33 PM

aptitude safe-upgrade stops with a timeout.

It may be due to dbus request for packagekit. From 'apt-config dump |
grep 'DPkg::Post-Invoke':

<* snip *>
DPkg::Post-Invoke:: "/usr/bin/test
-e /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.PackageKit.service
&& /usr/bin/test -S /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket && /usr/bin/gdbus
call --system --dest org.freedesktop.PackageKit
--object-path /org/freedesktop/PackageKit --timeout 1 --method
org.freedesktop.PackageKit.StateHasChanged cache-update
> /dev/null; /bin/echo > /dev/null";
<*snip*>

Also, there a a few timeout conditions in packagekit itself
from looking at the code. I'll see if I can reliably
recreate this error (which has been popping up on one
off aptitude installs for me) and experiment
with raising the timeout value. Things get hectic
toward the end of a package install what with localepurge
and tracker running, so that I'd call that one second
timeout pretty optimistic.