FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Jon Dowland
 
Default Manually verifying PGP/MIME signature with GPG

On 09/04/12 17:54, Camaleón wrote:
> Look at "man gpg", there must be also an option here for verifiying the
> signature.

On the one hand, I think the energy and enthusiasm to which you bring to
helping people on -user is admirable. On the other, sometimes your
replies are information-free, or even misleading. If you don't know,
please refrain from guessing!
 
Old 04-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Manually verifying PGP/MIME signature with GPG

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 10:00:44 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:

> On 09/04/12 17:54, Camaleón wrote:
>> Look at "man gpg", there must be also an option here for verifiying the
>> signature.
>
> On the one hand, I think the energy and enthusiasm to which you bring to
> helping people on -user is admirable.

Your welcome.

> On the other, sometimes your replies are information-free, or even
> misleading.

Misleading what, exactly?

Both "gpg" and "smime" can verify signatures, that's what Mutt and other
e-mail clients do use. The fact that this mailing list does not provide
an archive to get the raw messages with attachments does not change the
above.

Anyway, I get the posts through a nntp news server (Gmane), I don't know -
because I've not tried- if the header information provided would be
enough to be able to verify the signature manually.

> If you don't know, please refrain from guessing!

Refrain yourself from reading :-/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: jm1gv7$csk$5@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/jm1gv7$csk$5@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 04-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Jon Dowland
 
Default Manually verifying PGP/MIME signature with GPG

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 02:43:51PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> > If you don't know, please refrain from guessing!
>
> Refrain yourself from reading :-/

I'm not at significant risk of being (unintentionally) misled by you: newbies
are.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120410145319.GA15551@debian">http://lists.debian.org/20120410145319.GA15551@debian
 
Old 04-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Manually verifying PGP/MIME signature with GPG

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 15:53:19 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 02:43:51PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> > If you don't know, please refrain from guessing!
>>
>> Refrain yourself from reading :-/
>
> I'm not at significant risk of being (unintentionally) misled by you:
> newbies are.

If you're so worried, apply for a newbie-sitter job.

Still, you failed to reply what was "misleading". Sigh.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: jm1ip9$ivm$2@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/jm1ip9$ivm$2@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 04-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Jon Dowland
 
Default Manually verifying PGP/MIME signature with GPG

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 03:14:49PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> If you're so worried, apply for a newbie-sitter job.

What exactly is that?

> Still, you failed to reply what was "misleading". Sigh.

Indeed, I haven't taken the time to go back and pick out the ones
that caught my attention in particular. If you'd really value me
to do so, I can do, either privately or in a new thread.

Taking things too personally aside, do you have a problem with the
actual advice I offered (don't reply on subjects you don't know
anything about?)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120410152205.GB15551@debian">http://lists.debian.org/20120410152205.GB15551@debian
 
Old 04-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Manually verifying PGP/MIME signature with GPG

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 16:22:05 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 03:14:49PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> If you're so worried, apply for a newbie-sitter job.
>
> What exactly is that?

It was a pun meaning "a person who cares about newbies".

>> Still, you failed to reply what was "misleading". Sigh.
>
> Indeed, I haven't taken the time to go back and pick out the ones that
> caught my attention in particular. If you'd really value me to do so, I
> can do, either privately or in a new thread.

So first you said I'm fooling and "perverting" newbie's mind and now you
want to go private... bad move.

> Taking things too personally aside, do you have a problem with the
> actual advice I offered (don't reply on subjects you don't know anything
> about?)

What problem could I have? Everybody can have their opinion and express
it. I do also have mine and thus encourage you to avoid reading my posts
given that you seem to find them offensive.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: jm1kpk$v2l$2@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/jm1kpk$v2l$2@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 04-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Jon Dowland
 
Default Manually verifying PGP/MIME signature with GPG

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 03:49:08PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> What problem could I have? Everybody can have their opinion and express
> it. I do also have mine and thus encourage you to avoid reading my posts
> given that you seem to find them offensive.

I don't, and never said that, but I can see the law of diminishing returns
taking effect here so perhaps I'll take your advice.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120410155215.GC15551@debian">http://lists.debian.org/20120410155215.GC15551@debian
 
Old 04-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Manually verifying PGP/MIME signature with GPG

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 16:52:15 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 03:49:08PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> What problem could I have? Everybody can have their opinion and express
>> it. I do also have mine and thus encourage you to avoid reading my
>> posts given that you seem to find them offensive.
>
> I don't, and never said that, but I can see the law of diminishing
> returns taking effect here so perhaps I'll take your advice.

And you can start doing it when you want... don't delay!

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: jm1l6m$v2l$3@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/jm1l6m$v2l$3@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 04-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Manually verifying PGP/MIME signature with GPG

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 14:43:51 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

> Anyway, I get the posts through a nntp news server (Gmane), I don't know
> - because I've not tried- if the header information provided would be
> enough to be able to verify the signature manually.

Mmm, I tried this yesterday and it seems to be working fine from
Thunderbird + Enigmail with no additional tweaks: signatures (both
"inline" and "detached") are verified correctly.

If Enigmail can parse and verify the signed posts I see no reason for gpg
cannot do the same.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: jm45s4$3l4$7@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/jm45s4$3l4$7@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 04-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Chris Bannister
 
Default Manually verifying PGP/MIME signature with GPG

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 03:53:19PM +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 02:43:51PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> > > If you don't know, please refrain from guessing!
> >
> > Refrain yourself from reading :-/
>
> I'm not at significant risk of being (unintentionally) misled by you: newbies
> are.
+1

--
"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet."
-- Napoleon Bonaparte


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120414153308.GJ28159@tal">http://lists.debian.org/20120414153308.GJ28159@tal
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:20 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org