Old 04-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Dr Beco

Default Double quotes, single quotes

Dear deb users,
I can't seem to find the correct combination of quotes to run this command:
$vi +"r ! find . -name 'error*' -printf '%f
'" themain.c

Is there a way to achieve this (using bash)?
Thanks!Beco
--
Dr. Beco
A.I. research, Cognitive Scientist and Philosopher

Linux Counter #201942

Old 04-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Bob Proulx

Dr Beco wrote:
> I can't seem to find the correct combination of quotes to run this command:
>
> $vi +"r ! find . -name 'error*' -printf '%f
'" themain.c

> Is there a way to achieve this (using bash)?

The problem you are hitting is that vim is expanding the % itself and
isn't passing it to bash nor on to find. It isn't related to quoting.
It is related to vi's percent expansion. Use something other than
percent to avoid the problem. In vi the '%' is replaced by the
current filename. That is traditional vi behavior.

For 'find' you can use the default -print case by not specifying anything.

vim +"r ! find . -name 'error*'" themain.c

Bob