Old 04-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Frank McCormick

Default Grub-install problems was terminal prompts

On 08/04/12 08:51 AM, Frank McCormick wrote:

On 08/04/12 05:49 AM, Paul Saunders wrote:

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 16:37:32 -0400
Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

On 04/07/2012 04:29 PM, Tom H wrote:

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Frank McCormick
<debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

[cut]

The distro runs fine but slow under KDE, but after I Installed
Icewm, I notice when I load an exterm, the prompt I get is "%" not
the usual one setup in .bashrc.

[cut]

Can someone explain what's going on ?

What;s your shell? tcsh?

I **thought** it was DASH (the apparent default in Squeeze) so I
ran dpkg-reconfigure dash and picked Bash as the default. But maybe
it wasn't ? How do I find out for sure ?

dpkg-reconfiguring dash will only update which shell is used to provide
the /bin/sh link. This may or may not be the shell that users get when
they open a terminal.

Ah..that explains that !

To see what shell you're currently using, try running "chsh" (as
yourself). That will tell you what your current login shell is. To
change it, enter the full path to the executable, or to keep it, just
press enter.

That worked...but I caused another problem.
I still didn't like Mepis, so I booted into Debian Sid and
forgetting Grub had been last installed by Mepis, formatted the
partition. Well you know what happened. Next time I booted I ended up at
the Grub rescue prompt! No problem I thought, I'll just load up my
SystemRescue CD and fix it. No way! I mounted sda2, and tried to ChRoot
into it. I couldn't...I kept getting an error message "unable to run
/bin/zsh" To make a very long story short, I tried several other live
cd's but none were of any help, until I got to the Ubuntu LXDE live
install. I picked the rescue mode, told it to install grub on /dev/sda2
and it did. An update Grub fixed the cfg file and we're back in
business. I still don't understand why SystemRescue could not allow me
to chroot ??

The moral of the story: keep several live cd's on hand, and think BEFORE
you decide to wipe out a distro on another partition. Linux forces me to
keep on learning.

--
Cheers
Frank

Archive: 4F81B1ED.8050009@videotron.ca">http://lists.debian.org/4F81B1ED.8050009@videotron.ca

Old 04-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Indulekha

In linux.debian.user, Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:
> I mounted sda2, and tried to ChRoot into it. I couldn't...I
> kept getting an error message "unable to run /bin/zsh"

Perhaps because it's /usr/bin/zsh?

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 04-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Frank McCormick

I mounted sda2, and tried to ChRoot into it. I couldn't...I
kept getting an error message "unable to run /bin/zsh"

Perhaps because it's /usr/bin/zsh?

I don't know...I didn't master the SystemRescue disk I don't know
why it would be in /usr/bin....Bash is in /bin

--
Cheers
Frank

Archive: 4F81BFA3.4030000@videotron.ca">http://lists.debian.org/4F81BFA3.4030000@videotron.ca

Old 04-09-2012, 08:44 PM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

That worked...but I caused another problem.
I still didn't like Mepis, so I booted into Debian Sid and forgetting
Grub had been last installed by Mepis, formatted the partition. Well you
know what happened. Next time I booted I ended up at the Grub rescue
prompt! No problem I thought, I'll just load up my SystemRescue CD and
fix it. No way! I mounted sda2, and tried to ChRoot into it. I
couldn't...I kept getting an error message "unable to run /bin/zsh" To
make a very long story short, I tried several other live cd's but none
were of any help, until I got to the Ubuntu LXDE live install. I picked
the rescue mode, told it to install grub on /dev/sda2 and it did. An
update Grub fixed the cfg file and we're back in business. I still don't
understand why SystemRescue could not allow me to chroot ??

You don't have sysrescuecd default shell (zsh) installed on the target
system. When chrooting you need to call /bin/bash or dash or whatever
shell is installed on the target system.

HIH

Archive: 4F834A1E.4020705@googlemail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F834A1E.4020705@googlemail.com

Old 04-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Frank McCormick

[...]

Well that makes sense, but it's strange that the default shell on the
system would be ZSH. Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be BASH or
even DASH ? Anyway. now I know

--
Cheers
Frank