Old 04-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Claudius Hubig

Default bash: halt: command not found

Hello J.,

"J. Bakshi" <bakshi12@gmail.com> wrote:
> I checked and the is no more /sbin/shutdown :-(

Did you remove sysvinit? This happens, for example, when you install
upstart, as it conflicts sysvinit.

To reinstall sysvinit, try

# apt-get install --reinstall sysvinit

This will also fix it if your local installation is somehow broken.
However, if this is the case, you should check your
filesystems/hardware ASAP.

Best regards,

Claudius
--
This life is yours. Some of it was given to you; the rest, you made yourself.
Please use GPG: ECB0C2C7 4A4C4046 446ADF86 C08112E5 D72CDBA4

Old 04-08-2012, 01:50 PM
"J. Bakshi"

On Sun, 8 Apr 2012 15:34:10 +0200
Claudius Hubig <debian_1204@chubig.net> wrote:

> Hello J.,
>
> "J. Bakshi" <bakshi12@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I checked and the is no more /sbin/shutdown :-(
>
> Did you remove sysvinit? This happens, for example, when you install
> upstart, as it conflicts sysvinit.
>
> To reinstall sysvinit, try
>
> # apt-get install --reinstall sysvinit

Hello Claudius,

You are the hero. It has fixed my box :-)
Many many thanks.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Brian

On Sun 08 Apr 2012 at 15:34:10 +0200, Claudius Hubig wrote:

> "J. Bakshi" <bakshi12@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I checked and the is no more /sbin/shutdown :-(
>
> Did you remove sysvinit? This happens, for example, when you install
> upstart, as it conflicts sysvinit.

Acccording to

http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/i386/upstart/filelist

the package has /sbin/shutdown.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Claudius Hubig

Hello Brian,

Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun 08 Apr 2012 at 15:34:10 +0200, Claudius Hubig wrote:
>
> > "J. Bakshi" <bakshi12@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I checked and the is no more /sbin/shutdown :-(
> >
> > Did you remove sysvinit? This happens, for example, when you install
> > upstart, as it conflicts sysvinit.
>
> Acccording to
>
> http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/i386/upstart/filelist
>
> the package has /sbin/shutdown.

Trying to install upstart but failing to unpack the package might
still result in a missing /sbin/shutdown, as sysvinit probably has to
be removed first.

This could, for example, happen because of a power outage. However,
my mentioning of upstart was merely acting as an example of why
sysvinit could have been removed – of course, other reasons
why /sbin/shutdown are missing might still apply and be more
probable, too.

Best regards,

Claudius
--
Not everything worth doing is worth doing well.