Old 04-07-2012, 11:41 PM
Gary Roach

Default ATA/IDE hard drive problem

I have an older computer that is still completely serviceable that I am
switching over to Linux from win2k. The system has had a glitch for a
long time in that it fails to boot the first time I try. The reason is
that it can't find the WD600BB, 60 GB hard drive. A second try usually
fixed the problem. It has an Intel D865PERL mother board, a P4 2.4 GHZ
processor and 512 MB DDR 400 ram. I just upgraded the BIOS to the latest
version.

If the BOIS ATA/IDE Configuration is set to Extended, the bios finds my
CDROM drive but not the hard drive. If the configuration is set to
Legacy the bios finds the hard drive but not my CDROM drive. The hard
drive is on IDE -1 as master (or stand alone, makes no difference) and
the CDROM is on IDE-2 as master. Swapping cables didn't help. The two
units are mounted too far apart to make one master and the other slave
on the same IDE port.

I've run out of ideas. Anyone else have any?

Gary R

Archive: 4F80D094.3050601@verizon.net">http://lists.debian.org/4F80D094.3050601@verizon.net

Old 04-08-2012, 02:55 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 08/04/12 09:41, Gary Roach wrote:
> I have an older computer that is still completely serviceable that I am
> switching over to Linux from win2k. The system has had a glitch for a
> long time in that it fails to boot the first time I try. The reason is
> that it can't find the WD600BB, 60 GB hard drive. A second try usually
> fixed the problem. It has an Intel D865PERL mother board, a P4 2.4 GHZ
> processor and 512 MB DDR 400 ram. I just upgraded the BIOS to the latest
> version.
>
> If the BOIS ATA/IDE Configuration is set to Extended, the bios finds my
> CDROM drive but not the hard drive. If the configuration is set to
> Legacy the bios finds the hard drive but not my CDROM drive.

Strange. What was the BIOS setting for the hard drive when you installed?

> The hard
> drive is on IDE -1 as master (or stand alone, makes no difference) and
> the CDROM is on IDE-2 as master.

That makes sense, and it's how I would configure it.

<snipped>

> I've run out of ideas. Anyone else have any?

Yes - but lets see how your drive is setup first.

Please post the output of:-

# parted -l

or if you don't have parted installed:-

# fdisk -l