-   -   terminal prompts (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/653744-terminal-prompts.html)

Frank McCormick 04-07-2012 07:55 PM

terminal prompts

I have run into a problem in Mepis but have been unable to get an
answer yet from that community group. The distro is based on Debian
Squeeze so I thought someone here night have the answer. Normally I run
Debian Sid...Mepis is just an experiment

The distro runs fine but slow under KDE, but after I Installed Icewm, I
notice when I load an exterm, the prompt I get is "%" not the usual one
setup in .bashrc.

I have to actually run bash to get the normal prompt. It also affects
the time it takes Midnight Commander to load, UNLESS I add the "-u" parm
to the command line so it doesn't have shell facilities.

Can someone explain what's going on ?
--
Cheers
Frank

Archive: 4F809BC8.7080700@videotron.ca">http://lists.debian.org/4F809BC8.7080700@videotron.ca

Tom H 04-07-2012 08:29 PM

terminal prompts

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

> *I have run into a problem in Mepis but have been unable to get an answer
> yet from that community group. The distro is based on Debian Squeeze so I
> thought someone here night have the answer. Normally I run Debian
> Sid...Mepis is just an experiment
>
> The distro runs fine but slow under KDE, but after I Installed Icewm, I
> notice when I load an exterm, the prompt I get is "%" not the usual one
> setup in .bashrc.
>
> I have to actually run bash to get the normal prompt. It also affects the
> time it takes Midnight Commander to load, UNLESS I add the "-u" parm to the
> command line so it doesn't have shell facilities.
>
> Can someone explain what's going on ?

What;s your shell? tcsh?

Frank McCormick 04-07-2012 08:37 PM

terminal prompts

�I have run into a problem in Mepis but have been unable to get an answer
yet from that community group. The distro is based on Debian Squeeze so I
thought someone here night have the answer. Normally I run Debian
Sid...Mepis is just an experiment

The distro runs fine but slow under KDE, but after I Installed Icewm, I
notice when I load an exterm, the prompt I get is "%" not the usual one
setup in .bashrc.

I have to actually run bash to get the normal prompt. It also affects the
time it takes Midnight Commander to load, UNLESS I add the "-u" parm to the
command line so it doesn't have shell facilities.

Can someone explain what's going on ?

What;s your shell? tcsh?

I **thought** it was DASH (the apparent default in Squeeze) so I ran
dpkg-reconfigure dash and picked Bash as the default. But maybe it
wasn't ? How do I find out for sure ?

--
Cheers
Frank

Archive: 4F80A58C.1010505@videotron.ca">http://lists.debian.org/4F80A58C.1010505@videotron.ca

Paul Saunders 04-08-2012 09:49 AM

terminal prompts

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 16:37:32 -0400
Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

> On 04/07/2012 04:29 PM, Tom H wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Frank McCormick
> > <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

[cut]

> >> The distro runs fine but slow under KDE, but after I Installed
> >> Icewm, I notice when I load an exterm, the prompt I get is "%" not
> >> the usual one setup in .bashrc.

[cut]

> >> Can someone explain what's going on ?
> >
> > What;s your shell? tcsh?
> >
> I **thought** it was DASH (the apparent default in Squeeze) so I
> ran dpkg-reconfigure dash and picked Bash as the default. But maybe
> it wasn't ? How do I find out for sure ?

dpkg-reconfiguring dash will only update which shell is used to provide
the /bin/sh link. This may or may not be the shell that users get when
they open a terminal.

To see what shell you're currently using, try running "chsh" (as
yourself). That will tell you what your current login shell is. To
change it, enter the full path to the executable, or to keep it, just
press enter.

HTH

--
Paul Saunders

Frank McCormick 04-08-2012 12:51 PM

terminal prompts

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Frank McCormick
The distro runs fine but slow under KDE, but after I Installed
Icewm, I notice when I load an exterm, the prompt I get is "%" not
the usual one setup in .bashrc.

[cut]

Can someone explain what's going on ?

What;s your shell? tcsh?

I **thought** it was DASH (the apparent default in Squeeze) so I
ran dpkg-reconfigure dash and picked Bash as the default. But maybe
it wasn't ? How do I find out for sure ?

dpkg-reconfiguring dash will only update which shell is used to provide
the /bin/sh link. This may or may not be the shell that users get when
they open a terminal.

Ah..that explains that !

To see what shell you're currently using, try running "chsh" (as
yourself). That will tell you what your current login shell is. To
change it, enter the full path to the executable, or to keep it, just
press enter.

I am in another distro right now (Debian Sid, my favorite) but I will
do that when I boot into Mepis.

Thanks Paul

--

Cheers
Frank

Archive: 4F8189CD.5030009@videotron.ca">http://lists.debian.org/4F8189CD.5030009@videotron.ca

Tom H 04-08-2012 01:57 PM

terminal prompts

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:
> On 04/07/2012 04:29 PM, Tom H wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca>
>> wrote:
>>>

>>> �I have run into a problem in Mepis but have been unable to get an answer
>>> yet from that community group. The distro is based on Debian Squeeze so I
>>> thought someone here night have the answer. Normally I run Debian
>>> Sid...Mepis is just an experiment
>>>
>>> The distro runs fine but slow under KDE, but after I Installed Icewm, I
>>> notice when I load an exterm, the prompt I get is "%" not the usual one
>>> setup in .bashrc.
>>>
>>> I have to actually run bash to get the normal prompt. It also affects the
>>> time it takes Midnight Commander to load, UNLESS I add the "-u" parm to
>>> the
>>> command line so it doesn't have shell facilities.
>>>
>>> Can someone explain what's going on ?
>>
>> What;s your shell? tcsh?
>
> *I **thought** it was DASH (the apparent default in Squeeze) so I ran
> dpkg-reconfigure dash and picked Bash as the default. But maybe it wasn't ?
> *How do I find out for sure ?

"/bin/dash" is just linked to, by default, to "/bin/sh".

Run "echo $SHELL" to find out what shell you're running after logging in.