Old 04-07-2012, 03:47 PM
lina

Default Something about google search

Hi,

For the top line in google page

Search Images Maps Play YouTube News Gmail Documents Calendar More

Is it possible to delete the Play and Calendar, and bring something
hidden in More up there?

Googled for a while and still don't know how to set those things.

Thanks ahead for your suggestions,

Best regards,

Old 04-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Camaleˇn

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 23:47:29 +0800, lina wrote:

> For the top line in google page
>
> Search Images Maps Play YouTube News Gmail Documents Calendar More
>
> Is it possible to delete the Play and Calendar, and bring something
> hidden in More up there?
>
> Googled for a while and still don't know how to set those things.

It seems there are extensions╣ for Firefox and Chrome providing such
functionality but, is it worth it?

╣http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/easily-enable-customize-google-tool-bar/
▓http://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/19417/how-do-i-change-the-sort-order-of-items-in-googles-top-navigation-bar

Greetings,

--
Camaleˇn

Old 04-07-2012, 04:14 PM
lina

On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 12:02 AM, Camaleˇn <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 23:47:29 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> For the top line in google page
>>
>> Search Images Maps Play YouTube News Gmail Documents Calendar More
>>
>> Is it possible to delete the Play and Calendar, and bring something
>> hidden in More up there?
>>
>> Googled for a while and still don't know how to set those things.
>
> It seems there are extensions╣ for Firefox and Chrome providing such
> functionality but, is it worth it?

I finished reading the two links you provided.

I don't know it's worth or not. But I am a bit reluctant to install Chrome.

I guess I will stick to the More now (another way I googled many days
ago is bookmark it. )

Thanks,

Best wishes,

Old 04-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Miles Fidelman

lina wrote:

Hi,

For the top line in google page

Search Images Maps Play YouTube News Gmail Documents Calendar More

Is it possible to delete the Play and Calendar, and bring something
hidden in More up there?

Googled for a while and still don't know how to set those things.

I expect you could use Greasemonkey to do that - Firefox extension that
let's you do lots of stuff to incoming web pages. Or, maybe you could
write a little bit of code that lives on a proxy.

//
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greasemonkey>

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

Archive: 4F806EA3.6060102@meetinghouse.net">http://lists.debian.org/4F806EA3.6060102@meetinghouse.net

Old 04-08-2012, 12:54 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 08/04/12 01:47, lina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For the top line in google page
>
> Search Images Maps Play YouTube News Gmail Documents Calendar More
>
> Is it possible to delete the Play and Calendar, and bring something
> hidden in More up there?

Yes. Though I can't see how that might be related to Debian ;-)

There are a number of ways to do that - but wouldn't it be simpler to
just put a shortcut or shortcuts to the links you want into your
toolbar? The Google search page structure and scripts *will* change.

> Googled for a while and still don't know how to set those things.

Looking at the source code might have proven instructive ;-p

It's not a "settable" setting as such (if that gibberish makes sense).
The element you're referring to is div#gbx3 which is a long list of
links ending in "Even More". Until you click on "More..." part of that
list is hidden.

So to change that so that some of the initial visible part of the list
is hidden and replaced by the part of the hidden list you need to change
the applied styles and dynamically rewrite the page.

Possible. I'd probably just download the page and re-write it.
But you 'could' change the actual live page - I'd probably use Adblock
(to hide some elements) and Greasemonkey (to rewrite elements), but I
only spent a minute looking at the code and it's possible it could be
achieved with a bookmarklet (javascript snippet) or a custom CSS that
you apply to the search page.

> Thanks ahead for your suggestions,
>
> Best regards,

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-

Old 04-08-2012, 06:00 AM
lina

Thanks for all.

1] I installed the greasymonkey.

2] I download the Add Links to Google Bar form
http://userscripts.org/scripts/review/115780

3] : I don't know how to set the mail.google.com to the host of
www.google.com, changed (document.location.host == "www.google.com"
not work)

~/.mozilla/firefox/fs7z3prz.default/gm_scripts/Add_Links_to_Google_Bar$
more 115780.user.js

// ==UserScript==
// @name Add Links to Google Bar
// @version 1.0
// @namespace http://nitinjain.info
// @description Adds new links to the Google Bar
// @license GPL v2
// @include https://*.google.com/*
// @include http://*.google.com/*
// @include http://*.google.com.*

// ==/UserScript==
var docment=null;
if (document.location.host == "mail.google.com")
docment = document.getElementById('canvas_frame').contentDoc ument;
else
docment = document;
var googlebar = docment.getElementById('gbz').getElementsByClassNa me('gbtc')[0]
;
var newLinks =[];

// Add your links here..
//newLinks.push({name: 'Facebook', href: 'http://www.facebook.com'});
//newLinks.push({name: 'Yahoo', href: 'http://www.yahoo.com'});
//newLinks.push({name: 'Bing', href: 'http://www.bing.com'});

newLinks.push({name: 'Scholar', href: 'http://scholar.google.com.sg/schhp?hl=en
'})

// Finish your custom links..

for (var i = 0; i < newLinks.length; i++) {
var newli = document.createElement('li');
newli.setAttribute('class', 'gbt');
googlebar.appendChild(newli);
var newlink = document.createElement('a');
newlink.setAttribute('href', newLinks[i].href);
newlink.setAttribute('class', 'gbzt');
newli.appendChild(newlink);
var span1 = document.createElement('span');
span1.setAttribute('class', 'gbtb2');
newlink.appendChild(span1);
var textlink = document.createElement('span');
textlink.setAttribute('class', 'gbts');
textlink.innerHTML = newLinks[i].name;
newlink.appendChild(textlink);

}

Thanks again,

Best regards,

Old 04-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 08/04/12 16:00, lina wrote:
> Thanks for all.
>
> 1] I installed the greasymonkey.

Pretty sure it's greasEmonkey - but maybe that's the problem. ;-p

> 2] I download the Add Links to Google Bar form
> http://userscripts.org/scripts/review/115780
>
> 3] : I don't know how to set the mail.google.com to the host of
> www.google.com, changed (document.location.host == "www.google.com"
> not work)

Huh? Why are you trying to change that?

<snipped>
If you want to modify the example links (to Bing, Fffacebook etc) or add
a custom one - the section to modify is between the "Add your links
here" and "Finish your custom links.." comments. (obscure huh?)

> // Add your links here.. //newLinks.push({name: 'Facebook', href:
> 'http://www.facebook.com'}); //newLinks.push({name: 'Yahoo', href:
> 'http://www.yahoo.com'}); //newLinks.push({name: 'Bing', href:
> 'http://www.bing.com'});

eg. replacing that section with the following will add a single new link
called "Debian" which is a href to debian.org

// Add your links here..
//newLinks.push({name: 'Debian', href: 'http://debian.org'});
// Finish your custom links..

If you want to *remove* some of the visible links in the default Google
search page, and add custom ones or rearrange the existing ones - this
script will not do it.

<snipped>

> Thanks again,
>
> Best regards,

If you have problems with the script it's best to contact the maintainer
(at the link you posted) or a javascript forum, instead of bombing this
list with questions not related to Debian.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:25 AM
lina

On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Scott Ferguson
<scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/04/12 16:00, lina wrote:
>> Thanks for all.
>>
>> 1] I installed the greasymonkey.
>
> Pretty sure it's greasEmonkey - but maybe that's the problem. ;-p
>

>> 2] I download the *Add Links to Google Bar form
>> http://userscripts.org/scripts/review/115780
>>
>> 3] *: I don't know how to set the mail.google.com to the host of
>> www.google.com, changed *(document.location.host == "www.google.com"
>> not work)
>
> Huh? Why are you trying to change that?

The new-added item only show when I am in mail.gmail.com

I wish the new-added item to be shown on the www.google.com

that's why I wish to know which should be fit for the value of
document.location.host ==

> <snipped>
> If you want to modify the example links (to Bing, Fffacebook etc) or add
> a custom one - *the section to modify is between the "Add your links
> here" and "Finish your custom links.." comments. (obscure huh?)
>

>> // Add your links here.. //newLinks.push({name: 'Facebook', href:
>> 'http://www.facebook.com'}); //newLinks.push({name: 'Yahoo', href:
>> 'http://www.yahoo.com'}); //newLinks.push({name: 'Bing', href:
>> 'http://www.bing.com'});
>

> eg. replacing that section with the following will add a single new link
> called "Debian" which is a href to debian.org
>
> // Add your links here..
> //newLinks.push({name: 'Debian', href: 'http://debian.org'});
> // Finish your custom links..
>
> If you want to *remove* some of the visible links in the default Google
> search page, and add custom ones or rearrange the existing ones - this
> script will not do it.
>

> <snipped>
>

>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Best regards,
>>

> If you have problems with the script it's best to contact the maintainer
> (at the link you posted) or a javascript forum, instead of bombing this
> list with questions not related to Debian.

Thanks

Best regards,

Old 04-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Curt

On 2012-04-08, Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/04/12 16:00, lina wrote:
>> Thanks for all.
>>
>> 1] I installed the greasymonkey.
>
> Pretty sure it's greasEmonkey - but maybe that's the problem. ;-p

They should change it then because "I installed the greasy monkey" is
the most beautiful English sentence I've read today, and I doubt
seriously things are going to get any better.

It's funny, though, (in the sense of queer, odd), because I just
finished reading a short story with a monkey in it named Alf. In the
story, Alf is at home (a suburban house in Colorado) looking out the
window (from the sill) into the front yard and a bird comes flying right
at him, which makes jump back in fright, but when he does so he somehow
lands under the legs of his owners rocking chair (a middle-aged woman)
and his spine is broken as the woman rocks backwards in surprise. He
dies on the spot (after letting out a very human-like scream).

Now, if he would've been a greasy monkey, I'm thinking he might have
survived the experience.

Oh well.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Gilbert Sullivan

On 04/08/2012 08:34 AM, Curt wrote:
> On 2012-04-08, Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 08/04/12 16:00, lina wrote:
>>> Thanks for all.
>>>
>>> 1] I installed the greasymonkey.
>>
>> Pretty sure it's greasEmonkey - but maybe that's the problem. ;-p
>
> They should change it then because "I installed the greasy monkey" is
> the most beautiful English sentence I've read today, and I doubt
> seriously things are going to get any better.
>
> It's funny, though, (in the sense of queer, odd), because I just
> finished reading a short story with a monkey in it named Alf. In the
> story, Alf is at home (a suburban house in Colorado) looking out the
> window (from the sill) into the front yard and a bird comes flying right
> at him, which makes jump back in fright, but when he does so he somehow
> lands under the legs of his owners rocking chair (a middle-aged woman)
> and his spine is broken as the woman rocks backwards in surprise. He
> dies on the spot (after letting out a very human-like scream).
>
> Now, if he would've been a greasy monkey, I'm thinking he might have
> survived the experience.
>
> Oh well.

I love lina, Scott, and Curt. This made for an exceptionally nice start
to my day. A great story, *and* the bonus of a new euphemism for -- uh,
well, uh...I guess that's a little *too* OT.

8-)

Best regards,
Gilbert