Old 04-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Peter Easthope

Default Free as in speech hardware ebook reader

On 06/04/12 02:12 PM, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

... what I am
looking for is a hardware reader that is designed to respect my
freedoms. Preferably one that runs a GNU/Linux system, and which I am
allowed to tinker with. It does not have to work out of the box, and I
am prepared to invest time in it and deal with bugs, as I would with a
regular computer, provided it has a community around it to support it,
as Linux distros do.

That could be a description of the OLPC XO. The factory installed
system is Fedora Remix with Gnome and Sugar. DebXO can be installed.
In ordinary ambient light the display works with back lighting. In
bright ambient, the back light is turned down and you will see a
monochrome reflective display. Users are involved in development and
there are bugs to report and fix. Mostly it works well.

I found a XO-1.5 on eBay for about $110 + postage.

Regards, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 639 0202. bcc: peter at easthope.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/ "
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "

Archive: 4F7F654C.6090504@easthope.ca">http://lists.debian.org/4F7F654C.6090504@easthope.ca

Old 04-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Walter Hurry

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 00:12:45 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> Having a bad track record of not taking care of "dead tree" books, I am
> looking to buy an electronic book reader.
>
> The Amazon's Kindle does look good and it boasts a Linux kernel, but I
> am very disappointed at the many restrictions they want to place on me:
> automatic installation of firmware, limitations to its use, access to my
> data, and ads! To mention a few.
>
> I know it's possible to circumvent these restrictions, but what I am
> looking for is a hardware reader that is designed to respect my
> freedoms. Preferably one that runs a GNU/Linux system, and which I am
> allowed to tinker with. It does not have to work out of the box, and I
> am prepared to invest time in it and deal with bugs, as I would with a
> regular computer, provided it has a community around it to support it,
> as Linux distros do.
>
> Any suggestions?

calibre

Old 04-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Tony Baldwin

On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 12:12:45AM +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> Having a bad track record of not taking care of "dead tree" books, I am
> looking to buy an electronic book reader.
>
> The Amazon's Kindle does look good and it boasts a Linux kernel, but I
> am very disappointed at the many restrictions they want to place on me:
> automatic installation of firmware, limitations to its use, access to my
> data, and ads! To mention a few.
>
> I know it's possible to circumvent these restrictions, but what I am
> looking for is a hardware reader that is designed to respect my
> freedoms. Preferably one that runs a GNU/Linux system, and which I am
> allowed to tinker with. It does not have to work out of the box, and I
> am prepared to invest time in it and deal with bugs, as I would with a
> regular computer, provided it has a community around it to support it,
> as Linux distros do.
>
> Any suggestions?

Yeah, Kindle is not good.
Surely you've seen the FSF "Kindle/Swindle" campaign.

The Barnes & Noble Nook is essentially an Android Tablet.

Really, you could grab any android tablet (or tablet running an actual
gnu/linux system) and install FBReader (e-book reader software),
or any of various other e-reader projects available.

I don't have experience with Kindle, Nook (other than in-store demo).
I have used an Android tablet, and also have FBReader on my Android
phone.

./tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me
all tony, all the time!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Frank McCormick

[...]

+1

--
Cheers
Frank

Archive: 4F7F899F.7020006@videotron.ca">http://lists.debian.org/4F7F899F.7020006@videotron.ca

Old 04-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Panayiotis Karabassis

Thanks for the quick replies.

Calibre is a software reader isn't it? I do use it on my computer, but I
was looking for the hardware to install it on. I will keep it in mind.

The OLPC seems to be a laptop right? I was looking for something like a
tablet.

The Nook is interesting, but I would prefer GNU/Linux to Android.

Many thanks,
Panayiotis

Old 04-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Keith

looking for is a hardware reader that is designed to respect my
freedoms. Preferably one that runs a GNU/Linux system, and which I am
allowed to tinker with. It does not have to work out of the box, and I
am prepared to invest time in it and deal with bugs, as I would with a
regular computer, provided it has a community around it to support it,
as Linux distros do.

Any suggestions?

I would take a look at an Android 7" tablet & install an e-reader on it;
you'd then have both.

(Or maybe that new Galaxy Note that's being advertised on TV just now.)

Archive: 4F7FFDC6.8040309@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F7FFDC6.8040309@gmail.com

Old 04-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Curt

On 2012-04-06, Panayiotis Karabassis <panayk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> Having a bad track record of not taking care of "dead tree" books, I am
> looking to buy an electronic book reader.

I have a Bookeen Cybook Orizon (which is open-source, if that's your
criterion).

Old 04-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 07/04/12 18:32, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
> Thanks for the quick replies.
>
> Calibre is a software reader isn't it? I do use it on my computer, but I
> was looking for the hardware to install it on. I will keep it in mind.
>
> The OLPC seems to be a laptop right? I was looking for something like a
> tablet.

Just buy any tablet that suits your price and feature requirements *and*
that will support Debian[*1]. Then install Calibre - it's more than just
an reader, it is a library manager, can read every eBook type I've heard
of, and convert between types. By installing Debian you will be able to
install other software without a new learning curve and, more
importantly, be able to link easily.

Probably best if you buy a cheap tablet if you have trouble caring for
paper books - tablet are less sturdy (even the clay variety). :-)

> The Nook is interesting, but I would prefer GNU/Linux to Android.

Buy a know rootable Android pad (I don't know the Nook).

> Many thanks,
> Panayiotis

Please post your experience when you do.

[*1]eg. Motorola Xoom Honeycomb, Archos gen-8/9

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-

Old 04-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Panayiotis Karabassis

On 04/07/2012 01:07 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> Just buy any tablet that suits your price and feature requirements
> *and* that will support Debian[*1]. Then install Calibre - it's more
> than just an reader, it is a library manager, can read every eBook
> type I've heard of, and convert between types. By installing Debian
> you will be able to install other software without a new learning
> curve and, more importantly, be able to link easily. Probably best if
> you buy a cheap tablet if you have trouble caring for paper books -
> tablet are less sturdy (even the clay variety). :-)

Haha ;-). Yup, I can replace the tablet and keep the books. Some of the
books I ruined were higher priced than a tablet. :-)

> Buy a know rootable Android pad (I don't know the Nook).

I've had my experience with Android, and it's ok, but it feels like it
was not intended to be tinkered with. Searching the internet for this
hack and that, is less satisfying than using an OS that actually wants
you to have control over it, like Debian.

> Please post your experience when you do. [*1]eg. Motorola Xoom
> Honeycomb, Archos gen-8/9

These are a bit over my price range. Also since I have an Android phone
and a Debian netbook, I think it would be an excess to get another
general purpose computer. I think I'll get a device specific for
reading, and, perhaps childishly, I want to check out the eInk displays. :-)
> Kind regards

I'll post my experiences as requested, as soon as possible.

Thank you very much,
Panayiotis

Old 04-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 00:12:45 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

> Having a bad track record of not taking care of "dead tree" books, I am
> looking to buy an electronic book reader.

(...)

I'm following very closely the ongoing movements of Kobo¹ and Vivaldi².

While the former conforms a complete set of hardware/software/e-books the
later is a tablet (no "e-ink" based display) that runs KDE Plasma SC, but
both projects seem to share the same objective: let the user to decide.

¹http://www.kobo.com
²http://makeplaylive.com

Greetings,

--