Old 04-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Brian

Default : i3 configuration

On Fri 06 Apr 2012 at 10:26:40 -0700, Brian Flaherty wrote:

> I like tiling window managers and I've played around with awesome and
> i3 mainly. I prefer the manual layout of i3 to the dynamic layout of
> awesome. However, I like that awesome handles the osd notifications,
> let's me know dropbox is running, mounts usb drives, etc.
>
> If you use i3 and you integrate any of these services/features, how do
> you have it configured? I assume most people don't want to log in as
> root to mount a key drive, so how do you use basic usability features
> wit a simple window manager like i3?

You could consider pmount for mount/unmounting removable drives.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Indulekha

In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> On Fri 06 Apr 2012 at 10:26:40 -0700, Brian Flaherty wrote:
>
>> I like tiling window managers and I've played around with awesome and
>> i3 mainly. I prefer the manual layout of i3 to the dynamic layout of
>> awesome. However, I like that awesome handles the osd notifications,
>> let's me know dropbox is running, mounts usb drives, etc.
>>
>> If you use i3 and you integrate any of these services/features, how do
>> you have it configured? I assume most people don't want to log in as
>> root to mount a key drive, so how do you use basic usability features
>> wit a simple window manager like i3?
>
> You could consider pmount for mount/unmounting removable drives.

There's also a package called usbmount that will automout usb drives
(but if you're fussy about where things get mounted as I am it may
not the best solution). I always have terminator running and just
manually mount things using sudo, and use conky for keeping track of
a number of system stats.

There are various standalone system trays and docks in the repos too,
try some out and see how you like them. There are many excellent small
tools avaiulable in Debian which can be scripted together quite nicely.

It took me awhile to arrive at my current setup, but now my desktop
is extremely complete without the stress of waiting for a bloaty DE
to automagically do things *almost* the way I want while eating all
my RAM.

--
Indulekha