Old 04-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Brian Flaherty

Default OT: i3 configuration

Hello,

I like tiling window managers and I've played around with awesome and i3 mainly. I prefer the manual layout of i3 to the dynamic layout of awesome. However, I like that awesome handles the osd notifications, let's me know dropbox is running, mounts usb drives, etc.

If you use i3 and you integrate any of these services/features, how do you have it configured? I assume most people don't want to log in as root to mount a key drive, so how do you use basic usability features wit a simple window manager like i3?

Thanks for your time.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 10:26:40 -0700, Brian Flaherty wrote:

> I like tiling window managers and I've played around with awesome and i3
> mainly. I prefer the manual layout of i3 to the dynamic layout of
> awesome. However, I like that awesome handles the osd notifications,
> let's me know dropbox is running, mounts usb drives, etc.

(...)

For system and external app notifications you could use "conky",
"i3status" or a similar gadget tool compatible with i3.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón