Old 04-07-2008, 12:55 AM
Bob

Default Display Resolution-Frequency (Debian vs Windows)

Sanjaya Vitharana wrote:

Hi All,

Just trying to move my home desktop to Debian from Windows. As initial
stage I'm trying with dual boot until I get used to Debian. But the
problem is with "gdm" Display Properties. I can't get expected quality
for 1024 x 768 resolution as my Windows did. For that resolution I get
only 60/87 Hz in Drop Down List. I need Something higher than or equal
to 75Hz for 1024 x 768 with clear & cool screen.

For 87 Hz with 1024 x 768 which I get after several tries also not
satisfied me. It shows some horizontal lines when you see carefully to
the screen. Also when scrolling on the browser window can see how
letters draged on the screen. Also it is slightly deficult to see on
the screen for long time as I feel.

No Linux Driver for SiS 315_315E in there site. My Monitor is
ViewSonic E50c (Frequency H: 30~54 kHz V: 50~160Hz). I Used "apt-get
install xserver-xorg-video-sis" and tried "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"

Since I am new to the Debian I don't no what to do more. Can anyone help.

Regards,

Sanjaya Vitharana.

Your problem is that your max Horizontal Sync Rate is 54kHz, this
effectively limits your resolution to 1024x768, in order to achieve
1280x1024@75Hz your screen needs to be capable of 80 odd Khz.

You may be able to get 1280x1024 with a headache inducing Refresh rate
of 50Hz,

Modeline "1280x1024@50" 90.89 1280 1312 1656 1688 1024 1045 1054 1076

Have a look at
http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/faq/vga2rgb/calc.html
http://www.x.org/archive/X11R6.8.0/doc/SiS.html
What I try to do to resold X issues is at the gdm login prompt press
Ctrl + Alt + F2 switch to a different (non X) terminal,

log in as root and type
/etc/init.d/gdm stop (this will stop gdm and take you to terminal F1 so
use Ctrl + Alt + F2 to return to you root session)

edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

leave
Driver "sis"
but comment out the timing lines and let the driver detect them so.
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "ViewSonic E50c"
Option "DPMS"
# HorizSync 30-54
# VertRefresh 50-160
EndSection

switch back to terminal 1, log in as your everyday user, and startx

More and more the drivers will pickup and run with the correct timings
otherwise as others have suggested look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log for clues.

Good luck.