Old 04-07-2008, 01:48 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

Default reminiscing on old computers

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 06:18:51PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 08:23:20PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>
> so now we can twiddle our thumbs, go on random OT rants and rest
> assured that lenny will be out any time. When's the next utnubu due
> out? That always brings a few interesting ones. Maybe we should run
> some more google trends charts?

We could reminise about my 486 that doesn't run Debian anymore. I
wonder if Lenny will run on my P-II or if that's another box for
OpenBSD.

I remember my 386. It was an IBM PS/2 model 70-A21. It came with the
then-unherd of 120MB hard drive, MCA bus, and I put 4 MB ram into it,
running OS/2, IBM Fortran compiler (the reason I bought a computer in
the first place), WordPerfect 4.?, and AutoCad 11.

It died after two years. That second summer was very hot and we didn't
have air-conditioning. The system-board cracked across like a
cookie-sheet in the oven. I don't know if the problem was the board or
the plastic case. Room temp was over 40 C with about 90% humidity.
This happend just as I was entering the summer before final year in
nursing and I was writing many essays and doing stats research (and the
only one in the class doing it in Fortran instead of the stats package
that required MS something).

I replaced the 386 with my IBM 486 ValuePoint 6492X5C, 16 MB ram (now
32MB). This box still runs like a charm but gagged on Etch and runs
OpenBSD just fine.

My P-II was given to me full of cat hair. The people who gave it to me
needed a box with USB. I read the manual for the board and popped out
the cover on the back of the case and lo and behold there are two
functioning USB ports on the MB. The PSU is flaky, the CPU fan
bearing is noisy (hostname= rocky, as in a gravel truck). It does take
large drives so is a good second box but it only has 64 MB ram and isn't
reliable (too much heat damage?) to bother adding more. Will it run
Lenny well?

Any way, I wonder if any on-topic stuff has come up?

Doug.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:55 AM
"David Fox"

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 6:48 PM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

> I remember my 386. It was an IBM PS/2 model 70-A21. It came with the
> then-unherd of 120MB hard drive, MCA bus, and I put 4 MB ram into it,

My first Linux box was very similar. SLS it ran, 120 meg (and very
flaky ST-1144A, later had to replace it with a Maxtor that lasted some
7 years or so). 4 megs of RAM, later upgraded to 8.

The ST was a nightmare and I kept having to copy things elsewhere to
make sure there weren't any bad spots, which there were - the drive
probably didn't last a year or two - on the outside.

Box was a Packard Hell 386sx/16.

> Any way, I wonder if any on-topic stuff has come up?

Well, you've mentioned Etch, Lenny, and Debian, so this must be on-topic.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:17 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 09:48:18PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 06:18:51PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 08:23:20PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> >
> > so now we can twiddle our thumbs, go on random OT rants and rest
> > assured that lenny will be out any time. When's the next utnubu due
> > out? That always brings a few interesting ones. Maybe we should run
> > some more google trends charts?
> >

> We could reminise about my 486 that doesn't run Debian anymore. I
> wonder if Lenny will run on my P-II or if that's another box for
> OpenBSD.

hmmm... good question. It doesn't seem to me like there's been as much
change between etch and lenny, relative to the sarge->etch
transition. Of course, being all sid for my human-facing machines, I
haven't used an etch-like system in a while now...

> I remember my 386. It was an IBM PS/2 model 70-A21. It came with the
> then-unherd of 120MB hard drive, MCA bus, and I put 4 MB ram into it,
> running OS/2, IBM Fortran compiler (the reason I bought a computer in
> the first place), WordPerfect 4.?, and AutoCad 11.

my household server here (bigmomma, .5TB) started out on an old
pentium 90 system with the cpu on a daughter board. over time, that
slot "wore out" (don't ask me how, because I don't know). At the end,
I had to keep a rubberband pulling that daughter board at just the
right angle, or the thing would lock up and not boot. Worked like that
for years.

> Any way, I wonder if any on-topic stuff has come up?

not yet....

Old 04-07-2008, 02:26 AM
Ron Johnson

On 04/06/08 20:48, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 06:18:51PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 08:23:20PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>>
>> so now we can twiddle our thumbs, go on random OT rants and rest
>> assured that lenny will be out any time. When's the next utnubu due
>> out? That always brings a few interesting ones. Maybe we should run
>> some more google trends charts?
>>

> We could reminise about my 486 that doesn't run Debian anymore. I
> wonder if Lenny will run on my P-II or if that's another box for
> OpenBSD.
>
> I remember my 386. It was an IBM PS/2 model 70-A21. It came with the
> then-unherd of 120MB hard drive, MCA bus, and I put 4 MB ram into it,
> running OS/2, IBM Fortran compiler (the reason I bought a computer in
> the first place), WordPerfect 4.?, and AutoCad 11.

Warp 3 was a wonderful OS. Presentation Manager was *really* slick,
and formatting floppies while downloading a file at 14.4KBps was
something that Win 3.1 could only dream of, and Win93 could only
barely accomplish when the moon was full and the stars in proper
alignment.

DOS-based BBSs still mandated you have one PC per modem, but OS/2
was capable enough to run 6 or 8 modems at full speed.

> It died after two years. That second summer was very hot and we didn't
> have air-conditioning. The system-board cracked across like a
> cookie-sheet in the oven. I don't know if the problem was the board or
> the plastic case. Room temp was over 40 C with about 90% humidity.
> This happend just as I was entering the summer before final year in
> nursing and I was writing many essays and doing stats research (and the
> only one in the class doing it in Fortran instead of the stats package
> that required MS something).
>
> I replaced the 386 with my IBM 486 ValuePoint 6492X5C, 16 MB ram (now
> 32MB). This box still runs like a charm but gagged on Etch and runs
> OpenBSD just fine.
>
> My P-II was given to me full of cat hair. The people who gave it to me
> needed a box with USB. I read the manual for the board and popped out
> the cover on the back of the case and lo and behold there are two
> functioning USB ports on the MB. The PSU is flaky, the CPU fan
> bearing is noisy (hostname= rocky, as in a gravel truck). It does take
> large drives so is a good second box but it only has 64 MB ram and isn't
> reliable (too much heat damage?) to bother adding more. Will it run
> Lenny well?
>
> Any way, I wonder if any on-topic stuff has come up?
>
> Doug.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA