Old 04-07-2008, 01:47 AM
Rich Healey

Default Remove package from apt's db

Old 04-07-2008, 04:39 AM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 11:47:44AM +1000, Rich Healey wrote:
> I've installed skype, had to force it to ignore dependencies (long
> story.. anyway, i do have qt4's libs, and skype does work)

I would NOT remove skype from the dpkg database /var/lib/dpkg/status

I would use equivs (or manual editing of /var/lib/dpkg/status
/var/lib/dpkg/info/$PAKAGENAME.list , but you must _exactly_ know what
you are doing) to say that dependencies are installed.

In desperate case where dependencies are wrongly declared (like
installing opera on sarge) a manual editing of /var/lib/dpkg/status to
correctly declare the dependencies makes sense.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:46 AM
Rich Healey

Old 04-07-2008, 08:24 AM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 04:46:45PM +1000, Rich Healey wrote:
> I _DO_ know what i'm doing (not arrogance or anger).
>
> I'm used to building systems from scratch,

sorry, I was referring to a good knowledge of dpkg files, not to a good
knowledge about complilation of packages. I any case my previous answer
(complemented by dpkg documentation) contains all you need to know for
your aims.