FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-07-2008, 01:45 AM
Haines Brown
 
Default error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5

This a common error message, but a search on line didn't resolve it.

I'm running debian etch. I installed an application, gmfsk, deb, which
went fine. But when I go to run it, I get, as either root or user:

gmfsk: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot
open shared object file: No such file or directory

The application uses libstdc++6 >= 4.1.0, but the error suggests it is
turning instead to libstdc++.so.5.

The libg++2.8.1.3-glibc2.2 is not installed.

--

Haines Brown, KB1GRM





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-07-2008, 05:10 AM
"Mumia W.."
 
Default error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5

On 04/06/2008 08:45 PM, Haines Brown wrote:

This a common error message, but a search on line didn't resolve it.

I'm running debian etch. I installed an application, gmfsk, deb, which
went fine. But when I go to run it, I get, as either root or user:

gmfsk: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot
open shared object file: No such file or directory

The application uses libstdc++6 >= 4.1.0, but the error suggests it is
turning instead to libstdc++.so.5.

The libg++2.8.1.3-glibc2.2 is not installed.



Where did you get that copy of gmfsk from?

Please enter this command and show us its output:

ldd /usr/bin/gmfsk

Also, please show us the output of this command:

ls -l /usr/lib/libstdc*


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-07-2008, 06:36 AM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
 
Default error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5

Haines Brown wrote:

> This a common error message, but a search on line didn't resolve it.
>
> I'm running debian etch. I installed an application, gmfsk, deb, which
> went fine. But when I go to run it, I get, as either root or user:
>
> gmfsk: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot
> open shared object file: No such file or directory

apt-file search libstdc++.so.5 and install the corresponding package.

> The application uses libstdc++6 >= 4.1.0, but the error suggests it is
> turning instead to libstdc++.so.5.

What is the application you are talking about? How are you sure it uses only
libstdc++6? Is libstdc++6 installed on your machine?

raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Haines Brown
 
Default error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi <kamaraju@bluebottle.com> writes:

>> The application uses libstdc++6 >= 4.1.0, but the error suggests it is
>> turning instead to libstdc++.so.5.
>
> What is the application you are talking about? How are you sure it uses only
> libstdc++6? Is libstdc++6 installed on your machine?

Thanks, raju, that was the answer. I inferred from the package
description that it dependend on libstdc++6 and so assumed, incorrectly
as it turned out, that it didn't need libstdc++5. I installed the
libstdc++5 and all's well.

--

Haines Brown, KB1GRM





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Haines Brown
 
Default error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5

"Mumia W.." <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> writes:

> On 04/06/2008 08:45 PM, Haines Brown wrote:
>> This a common error message, but a search on line didn't resolve it.
>>
>> I'm running debian etch. I installed an application, gmfsk, deb, which
>> went fine. But when I go to run it, I get, as either root or user:
>>
>> gmfsk: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot
>> open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>
>> The application uses libstdc++6 >= 4.1.0, but the error suggests it is
>> turning instead to libstdc++.so.5.
>>
>> The libg++2.8.1.3-glibc2.2 is not installed.
>>
>
> Where did you get that copy of gmfsk from?

A couple years ago I had to compile it from source, but I now see that
it is a deb package. The package is what I installed. The package
description said it depended on libstdc++.so.6. However, to get it
started I had to install libstdc++.so.5.

> Please enter this command and show us its output:
>
> ldd /usr/bin/gmfsk

$ ldd /usr/bin/gmfsk | grep libstdc
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb738e000)

So, since I had libstsdc++.so.6 installed, and this is what it needs,
why would installation of libstdc++.so.5 enabled it to work?

> Also, please show us the output of this command:
>
> ls -l /usr/lib/libstdc*

Yep, both now installed:

$ ls -l /usr/lib/libstdc*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2008-04-07 06:14
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 -> libstdc++.so.5.0.7
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 737624 2007-01-03 13:47
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.7
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2007-04-22 09:40
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 -> libstdc++.so.6.0.8
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 909044 2006-12-10 09:45
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.8

The logic of the situation seems almost as if gmfsk needed _both_
versions of the libstdc++ library.

--

Haines Brown, KB1GRM





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-07-2008, 12:20 PM
"Joost Witteveen"
 
Default error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5

> > ldd /usr/bin/gmfsk
>
>
> $ ldd /usr/bin/gmfsk | grep libstdc
> libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb738e000)
>
> So, since I had libstsdc++.so.6 installed, and this is what it needs,
> why would installation of libstdc++.so.5 enabled it to work?

If it were to happen to me, I'd assume it was because I didn't look
properly when I tried it without libcstc++.so.5 (and I'd try removing
the libstdc++5 version to verify).
But I won't assume you're as stupid as me, so maybe gmfsk executes
another binary that depends on libstdc++.so.5. To try that, uninstall
libstdc++.so.5, and run
strace -f gmfsk 2> stderr-file.txt
then search the stderr-file.txt for libstdc. If there is something
opening libstdc++.so.5, you should see the exec() line somewhere
above.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Daniel Burrows
 
Default error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 06:48:37AM -0400, Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> was heard to say:
> "Mumia W.." <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> writes:
> > Where did you get that copy of gmfsk from?
>
> A couple years ago I had to compile it from source, but I now see that
> it is a deb package. The package is what I installed. The package
> description said it depended on libstdc++.so.6. However, to get it
> started I had to install libstdc++.so.5.

Could you have another copy of gmfsk hanging around in $PATH? What
do you get if you run "which gmfsk"?

Daniel


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Haines Brown
 
Default error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5

Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 06:48:37AM -0400, Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> was heard to say:
>> "Mumia W.." <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> writes:
>> > Where did you get that copy of gmfsk from?
>>
>> A couple years ago I had to compile it from source, but I now see that
>> it is a deb package. The package is what I installed. The package
>> description said it depended on libstdc++.so.6. However, to get it
>> started I had to install libstdc++.so.5.
>
> Could you have another copy of gmfsk hanging around in $PATH? What
> do you get if you run "which gmfsk"?

Good thought, for I had compiled a custom version a couple years ago,
but which shows only one executable. Thanks.
--

Haines Brown, KB1GRM





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Haines Brown
 
Default error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5

"Joost Witteveen" <joosteto@gmail.com> writes:

>> > ldd /usr/bin/gmfsk
>>
>>
>> $ ldd /usr/bin/gmfsk | grep libstdc
>> libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb738e000)
>>
>> So, since I had libstsdc++.so.6 installed, and this is what it needs,
>> why would installation of libstdc++.so.5 enabled it to work?
>
> If it were to happen to me, I'd assume it was because I didn't look
> properly when I tried it without libcstc++.so.5 (and I'd try removing
> the libstdc++5 version to verify).
> But I won't assume you're as stupid as me, so maybe gmfsk executes
> another binary that depends on libstdc++.so.5. To try that, uninstall
> libstdc++.so.5, and run
> strace -f gmfsk 2> stderr-file.txt
> then search the stderr-file.txt for libstdc. If there is something
> opening libstdc++.so.5, you should see the exec() line somewhere
> above.

Interesting, I couldn't remove libstdc++.so.5:

$ ls -l /usr/lib | grep libstdc++.so*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2008-04-07 06:14 libstdc++.so.5 ->
libstdc++.so.5.0.7
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 737624 2007-01-03 13:47 libstdc++.so.5.0.7
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2007-04-22 09:40 libstdc++.so.6 ->
libstdc++.so.6.0.8
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 909044 2006-12-10 09:45 libstdc++.so.6.0.8

$ sudo aptitude remove libstdc++.so.5.0.7
...
Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched
"libstdc++.so.5.0.7"

It occurred to me that something else might need libstdc++.so.5, and so
decided against removing it, for it does not harm there, even if not
needed by this particular application.

--

Haines Brown, KB1GRM





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-07-2008, 08:35 PM
"Joost Witteveen"
 
Default error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5

On 07/04/2008, Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> wrote:
> "Joost Witteveen" <joosteto@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> > ldd /usr/bin/gmfsk
> >>
> >>
> >> $ ldd /usr/bin/gmfsk | grep libstdc
> >> libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb738e000)
> >>
> >> So, since I had libstsdc++.so.6 installed, and this is what it needs,
> >> why would installation of libstdc++.so.5 enabled it to work?
> >
> > If it were to happen to me, I'd assume it was because I didn't look
> > properly when I tried it without libcstc++.so.5 (and I'd try removing
> > the libstdc++5 version to verify).
> > But I won't assume you're as stupid as me, so maybe gmfsk executes
> > another binary that depends on libstdc++.so.5. To try that, uninstall
> > libstdc++.so.5, and run
> > strace -f gmfsk 2> stderr-file.txt
> > then search the stderr-file.txt for libstdc. If there is something
> > opening libstdc++.so.5, you should see the exec() line somewhere
> > above.
>
>
> Interesting, I couldn't remove libstdc++.so.5:
>
> $ ls -l /usr/lib | grep libstdc++.so*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2008-04-07 06:14 libstdc++.so.5 ->
>
> libstdc++.so.5.0.7
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 737624 2007-01-03 13:47 libstdc++.so.5.0.7
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2007-04-22 09:40 libstdc++.so.6 ->
>
> libstdc++.so.6.0.8
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 909044 2006-12-10 09:45 libstdc++.so.6.0.8
>
> $ sudo aptitude remove libstdc++.so.5.0.7

$ dpkg -S libstdc++.so.5.0.7
libstdc++5: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.7

So the package is called libstdc++5.

On my system not much depends on it, only lsb and g++-3.3 (old).


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:47 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org