-   -   iceweasel drawing problems (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/653112-iceweasel-drawing-problems.html)

Dale Harris 04-05-2012 06:11 PM

iceweasel drawing problems

Anyone else having problems with iceweasel (on SID) pixelating text
within it's window? Chromium is not doing the same thing, so why it
makes me think it's not a video card driver problem.

--
Dale Harris
rodmur@maybe.org

Florian Kulzer 04-05-2012 07:48 PM

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 14:11:37 -0400, Dale Harris wrote:
> Anyone else having problems with iceweasel (on SID) pixelating text
> within it's window? Chromium is not doing the same thing, so why it
> makes me think it's not a video card driver problem.

I have been having similar issues for a few days now, but they happen
only sporadically. My guess is that the most recent version of libcairo2
has a problem with certain AMD video cards. Check out the screenshots
here: http://bugs.debian.org/658252#37

--
Regards, |
Florian | http://www.florian-kulzer.eu

Tom Low-Shang 04-05-2012 07:49 PM

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 02:11:37PM -0400, Dale Harris wrote:
> Anyone else having problems with iceweasel (on SID) pixelating text
> within it's window? Chromium is not doing the same thing, so why it
> makes me think it's not a video card driver problem.

Tom Low-Shang
Cell 416 857 7013
Skype tomlowshang

Dale Harris 04-05-2012 10:11 PM

iceweasel drawing problems

Yeah, that is exactly what I'm seeing. Thanks.

Scott Ferguson 04-05-2012 11:32 PM

On 06/04/12 04:11, Dale Harris wrote:
> Anyone else having problems with iceweasel (on SID) pixelating text
> within it's window? Chromium is not doing the same thing, so why it
> makes me think it's not a video card driver problem.

Iceweasel 11.0-4~bpo60+1 in Squeeze doesn't have that problem.
libcairo2 1.10.2-7~bpo60+1
libcairomm-1.0-1 1.8.4-3

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-

Rares Aioanei 04-06-2012 08:00 AM

On 04/05/2012 10:48 PM, Florian Kulzer wrote:

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 14:11:37 -0400, Dale Harris wrote:

Anyone else having problems with iceweasel (on SID) pixelating text
within it's window? Chromium is not doing the same thing, so why it
makes me think it's not a video card driver problem.

I have been having similar issues for a few days now, but they happen
only sporadically. My guess is that the most recent version of libcairo2
has a problem with certain AMD video cards. Check out the screenshots
here: http://bugs.debian.org/658252#37

I see this on a Nvidia card using nouveau, so it's not just AMD.

--
Rares Aioanei

Archive: 4F7EA287.7010806@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F7EA287.7010806@gmail.com

wolf python london 04-06-2012 08:17 AM

On 6 April 2012 02:11, Dale Harris <rodmur@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone else having problems with iceweasel (on SID) *pixelating text
> within it's window? *Chromium is not doing the same thing, so why it
> makes me think it's not a video card driver problem.

I have this problem too.

They say new version of libcairo use some features in X which have had
bugs for long time,
but old version of libcairo didn't use these features. This bug have
been submitted to upstream.

Anthony Campbell 04-06-2012 08:47 AM

On 06 Apr 2012, wolf python london wrote:
> On 6 April 2012 02:11, Dale Harris <rodmur@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyone else having problems with iceweasel (on SID) *pixelating text
> > within it's window? *Chromium is not doing the same thing, so why it
> > makes me think it's not a video card driver problem.
> >
> I have this problem too.
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=656021#20
>
> They say new version of libcairo use some features in X which have had
> bugs for long time,
> but old version of libcairo didn't use these features. This bug have
> been submitted to upstream.

I'm getting this on my laptop (radeon mobility X1400) but not my desktop
(nvidia). But it's also something to do with the window manager: it
happens with i3 but not with icewm.

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Sven Joachim 04-06-2012 11:01 AM

On 2012-04-06 10:47 +0200, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> On 06 Apr 2012, wolf python london wrote:
>> On 6 April 2012 02:11, Dale Harris <rodmur@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Anyone else having problems with iceweasel (on SID) *pixelating text
>> > within it's window? *Chromium is not doing the same thing, so why it
>> > makes me think it's not a video card driver problem.
>> >
>> I have this problem too.
>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=656021#20
>>
>> They say new version of libcairo use some features in X which have had
>> bugs for long time,
>> but old version of libcairo didn't use these features. This bug have
>> been submitted to upstream.
>>

> I'm getting this on my laptop (radeon mobility X1400) but not my desktop
> (nvidia).

Do you use the nvidia blob? With nouveau it is reproducible, see
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=666695 and siblings.

> But it's also something to do with the window manager: it
> happens with i3 but not with icewm.

I'm using icewm here and had to downgrade libcairo* packages to 1.10.2-7
to stop the display corruptions in iceweasel.

Cheers,
Sven

Anthony Campbell 04-06-2012 02:37 PM

On 06 Apr 2012, Sven Joachim wrote:
> > I'm getting this on my laptop (radeon mobility X1400) but not my desktop
> > (nvidia).
>
> Do you use the nvidia blob? With nouveau it is reproducible, see
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=666695 and siblings.
>
> > But it's also something to do with the window manager: it
> > happens with i3 but not with icewm.
>
> I'm using icewm here and had to downgrade libcairo* packages to 1.10.2-7
> to stop the display corruptions in iceweasel.
>
> Cheers,
> Sven

Yes, you are right; I'm now getting it on icewm as well, though I think
less frequently.

AC

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk