Old 04-07-2008, 01:28 AM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Default searching pdf files from a specific page onwards

I currently use kpdf for viewing pdf files. I have tried other pdf viewers
(acroread, xpdf etc.,) some time back and settled on to kpdf as it sucked
less. Is there any pdf viewer out there which has the following feature?

Say I have a document of 400 pages. Now I search for a word and say there is
a hit in pg 250. Now if I search for another word, kpdf starts searching
from pg 250 onwards. However, I would like the new search to start from pg
100 (or worst case scenario - from pg 1 onwards). This is all the more
painful because kpdf does not have a "backward search" feature. Is there a
pdf viewer which can do this? What pdf viewer do you think is better in
terms of available search features?

thanks
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Old 04-07-2008, 01:53 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 09:28:20PM -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> I currently use kpdf for viewing pdf files. I have tried other pdf viewers
> (acroread, xpdf etc.,) some time back and settled on to kpdf as it sucked
> less. Is there any pdf viewer out there which has the following feature?
>
> Say I have a document of 400 pages. Now I search for a word and say there is
> a hit in pg 250. Now if I search for another word, kpdf starts searching
> from pg 250 onwards. However, I would like the new search to start from pg
> 100 (or worst case scenario - from pg 1 onwards). This is all the more
> painful because kpdf does not have a "backward search" feature. Is there a
> pdf viewer which can do this? What pdf viewer do you think is better in
> terms of available search features?

Sorry, I'm at my VT520 now so can't try it, but I think in the menu's
there's a search dialog with check boxes as opposed to just the search
bar in thumbnails. If so, you can add that to the toolbar.

Worst case, you can go back to page one (there's a button to do this)
and run search then. I think that by default, it starts the search from
the currently displayed page.

Doug.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:54 AM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> Sorry, I'm at my VT520 now so can't try it, but I think in the menu's
> there's a search dialog with check boxes as opposed to just the search
> bar in thumbnails. If so, you can add that to the toolbar.

Thanks for the reply.

What version of kpdf are you running? I am running kpdf 0.5.5 that comes in
Etch. Options such as "find backwards" etc., are greyed out for me.

> Worst case, you can go back to page one (there's a button to do this)
> and run search then. I think that by default, it starts the search from
> the currently displayed page.

This is what I am currently doing. But it is a bit time consuming.

raju

Old 04-07-2008, 05:31 AM
"Mumia W.."

I currently use kpdf for viewing pdf files. I have tried other pdf viewers
(acroread, xpdf etc.,) some time back and settled on to kpdf as it sucked
less. Is there any pdf viewer out there which has the following feature?

Say I have a document of 400 pages. Now I search for a word and say there is
a hit in pg 250. Now if I search for another word, kpdf starts searching
from pg 250 onwards. However, I would like the new search to start from pg
100 (or worst case scenario - from pg 1 onwards). This is all the more
painful because kpdf does not have a "backward search" feature. Is there a
pdf viewer which can do this? What pdf viewer do you think is better in
terms of available search features?

thanks
raju

Evince has an option to search backwards. Anyway, in kpdf 0.5.5, I'm
able to scroll back to the first page using the thumbnails sidebar, and
then new searches started with Control-F seem to start from the first page.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:57 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 10:54:19PM -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I'm at my VT520 now so can't try it, but I think in the menu's
> > there's a search dialog with check boxes as opposed to just the search
> > bar in thumbnails. If so, you can add that to the toolbar.
>
> What version of kpdf are you running? I am running kpdf 0.5.5 that comes in
> Etch. Options such as "find backwards" etc., are greyed out for me.
>
> > Worst case, you can go back to page one (there's a button to do this)
> > and run search then. I think that by default, it starts the search from
> > the currently displayed page.
>
> This is what I am currently doing. But it is a bit time consuming.

I'm running standard Etch amd64. As for going to page one being
time-consuming, I suppose it depends on the machine. It is terribly
slow on my P-II with 64 MB, but blink-of-an-eye on my Athlon64.

Doug.