Old 04-07-2008, 12:18 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

Default face headers on mail to the list

Something I've notice latey, is that people sending to the list have a
header referred to as "Face". Since I use mutt on my VT520, all I see
is a whole screen of ascii chars.

Just as there's a netiquette rule about the number of lines in a .sig,
what is netiquette re sending to a list where many people use a
text-only email client, as opposed to if d-u were a web-forum.

What say ye?

Doug.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:11 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 08:18:07PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> Something I've notice latey, is that people sending to the list have a
> header referred to as "Face". Since I use mutt on my VT520, all I see
> is a whole screen of ascii chars.
>
> Just as there's a netiquette rule about the number of lines in a .sig,
> what is netiquette re sending to a list where many people use a
> text-only email client, as opposed to if d-u were a web-forum.
>
> What say ye?

I'm all for attractive women sending there face, but the rest of
you, forget it (/me ducks...)

seriously, though, it's silly vanity. That said, if you can get a
reasonable likeness of your face in 4 80 column lines, then why not?

Old 04-07-2008, 02:07 AM
Paul Johnson

On Sunday 06 April 2008 05:18:07 pm Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> Something I've notice latey, is that people sending to the list have a
> header referred to as "Face". Since I use mutt on my VT520, all I see
> is a whole screen of ascii chars.

You should tell mutt to hide that header for you, then. The headers Mutt
shows are configurable.

> Just as there's a netiquette rule about the number of lines in a .sig,
> what is netiquette re sending to a list where many people use a
> text-only email client, as opposed to if d-u were a web-forum.

It's no biggie.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 04-07-2008, 02:11 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 04-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Brad Rogers

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 18:11:04 -0700
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

Hello Andrew,

> seriously, though, it's silly vanity. That said, if you can get a
> reasonable likeness of your face in 4 80 column lines, then why not?

I'm one of the "guilty" when it comes to face (and x-face, come to
that) headers. Although you won't find likeness of me there.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

What will you do when the gas taps turn?
The Gasman Cometh - Crass

Old 04-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Brad Rogers

On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 21:11:52 -0500

Hello Ron,

> It's a 48x48 b&w bitmap, designed in the 1980s (so it can't be that
> huge or resource-piggish) at Bell Labs.

That's X-Face. Face can be colour.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

Is she really going out with him?
New Rose - The Damned

Old 04-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Sebastian Krause

No, it's not: http://quimby.gnus.org/circus/face/

Old 04-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 04-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 04-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Brad Rogers

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 09:41:56 -0500

Hello Ron,

> On 04/07/08 05:44, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > That's X-Face. Face can be colour.
> I guess we'd better ask OP for clarification!

:-)

Doug. over to you.... :-)

OTOH, either will come out as gibberish in a text-only MUA.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

Does she always shout at you, does she tell you what to do
Family Life - Sham 69