Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Antonio Fernández Pérez

Default Graphical app on startup

Hi everybody,*
I would like to get that a graphical application developed in Java runs on startup of a Debian machine, if is possible without menu, without login panel and without system messages. Obviously without update messages.*

I would to get a machine that works with this app on startup like as a information point center. Do you understand me?
I hope your help because I don't know if this is possible to do in Linux Debian. I know that in Windows is possible but is more expensive than to do it in Linux (Licenses).

Thank you very much.
Best regards,*
Antonio.
--

Antonio Manuel Fernández Pérez

Ingeniero Técnico Informático

Dpto. Informático Fabergames S.L.

TLF:966261111 / FAX:966551801

www.fabergames.com
Fabergames respeta su*privacidad

* * * ADVERTENCIA LEGAL * * *

Le informamos, como destinatario de este mensaje, que el correo electrónico y las comunicaciones por medio de Internet no permiten asegurar ni garantizar la confidencialidad de los mensajes transmitidos, así como tampoco su integridad o su correcta recepción, por lo que FABERGAMES S.L. no asume responsabilidad alguna por tales circunstancias. Si no consintiese en la utilización del correo electrónico o de las comunicaciones vía Internet le rogamos nos lo comunique y ponga en nuestro conocimiento de manera inmediata. Este mensaje va dirigido, de manera exclusiva, a su destinatario y contiene información confidencial y sujeta al secreto profesional, cuya divulgación no está permitida por la ley. En caso de haber recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos que, de forma inmediata, nos lo comunique mediante correo electrónico remitido a nuestra atención o a través del teléfono (+ 34) 966 26 11 11 y proceda a su eliminación, así como a la de cualquier documento adjunto al mismo. Asimismo, le comunicamos que la distribución, copia o utilización de este mensaje, o de cualquier documento adjunto al mismo, cualquiera que fuera su finalidad, están prohibidas por la ley.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:57 AM
cento

Il giorno gio, 05/04/2012 alle 12.49 +0200, Antonio Fernández Pérez ha
scritto:
> I would like to get that a graphical application developed in Java
> runs on startup of a Debian machine, if is possible without menu,
> without login panel and without system messages. Obviously without
> update messages.

Depends. Java+GUI programs are usually designed to operate with a
graphical interface only. Being able to use them from the command line,
on OS startup for example, depends on how the program is written.

> I hope your help because I don't know if this is possible to do in
> Linux Debian. I know that in Windows is possible but is more expensive
> than to do it in Linux (Licenses).

If it's possible under Windows, it's probably possible under linux
(debian or not debian). You need to check the command line options of
your program.

--
cento

Old 04-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Darac Marjal

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 12:49:34PM +0200, Antonio Fernández Pérez wrote:
> Hi everybody,�
> I would like to get that a graphical application developed in Java runs on
> startup of a Debian machine, if is possible without menu, without login
> panel and without system messages. Obviously without update messages.�
> I would to get a machine that works with this app on startup like as a
> information point center. Do you understand me?

Yes, this is possible. Just to clarify, I'm assuming you want the
following to happen:
* User powers on computer
* Computer boots with no interaction needed, providing little to no
feedback.
* Once booted, the Java application is started, being the only
application available to the user.

This is often termed "Kiosk mode" and that should help you find more
information. But basically, you will want to consider the following:

* Set your bootloader (probably grub) to boot a default entry after a
short delay (1 second should be enough).
* Either boot with the kernel parameter "quiet" or, better, install a
boot splash program such as "plymouth". This allows you to hide the
boot messages behind a graphical screen. That could, for example, be
your own logo. You may or may not want a progress bar there.
* At the end of boot, use a minimal display manager (nodm, perhaps) to
start the graphics system (X). You would then configure the session
started to use a minimal window manager (icewm, ratpoison etc) to
automatically start your java application. You might consider running
the java application as the only X client, but you may need to tell
it the geometry of your screen so that it uses the full screen; a
window manager would make that easier.

I'll leave it as an exercise to you what happens at shut down

Old 04-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Jo, 05 apr 12, 12:49:34, Antonio Fernández Pérez wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I would like to get that a graphical application developed in Java runs on
> startup of a Debian machine, if is possible without menu, without login
> panel and without system messages. Obviously without update messages.
>
> I would to get a machine that works with this app on startup like as a
> information point center. Do you understand me?
>
> I hope your help because I don't know if this is possible to do in Linux
> Debian. I know that in Windows is possible but is more expensive than to do
> it in Linux (Licenses).

There is more than one way to do it

Basically there are three things you need to accomplish:

A. automatic login for a specific user[1]
B. automatic start of X
C. start of the application you want (and nothing else)

A. and B. are easily solved with nodm.

For C. the typical advice is to use ~/.xinitrc, but I prefer to add the
program as the default alternative to x-session-manager (see the manpage
for update-alternatives).

[1] as far as I can tell, that user should be locked down. At a minimum
create a new user and add to other groups (like audio) only if really
needed.

Hope this helps,
Andrei

Old 04-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Camaleón

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 12:49:34 +0200, Antonio Fernández Pérez wrote:

> Hi everybody,

Hola Antonio :-)

(please, no html messages... thanks)

> I would like to get that a graphical application developed in Java runs
> on startup of a Debian machine, if is possible without menu, without
> login panel and without system messages. Obviously without update
> messages.

There are java applications that requie having an X server or need
additional packages to be installed... what are the requierements for
yours? Is it a standalone ".jar" file or daemonized service? And where is
going to be run? I mean, what kind of installation, what do you have
installed in your system (X server, window manager...)?

> I would to get a machine that works with this app on startup like as a
> information point center. Do you understand me?

Yes, you mean something like a "kiosk mode", right?

> I hope your help because I don't know if this is possible to do in Linux
> Debian. I know that in Windows is possible but is more expensive than to
> do it in Linux (Licenses).

That will depend on the application requirements but basically you'll
need to just call the java app on system start in the same you you'd do
for another script/program.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-05-2012, 12:20 PM
David Baron

> > I would like to get that a graphical application developed in Java
> > runs on startup of a Debian machine, if is possible without menu,
> > without login panel and without system messages. Obviously without
> > update messages.
> >

> Depends. Java+GUI programs are usually designed to operate with a
> graphical interface only. Being able to use them from the command line,
> on OS startup for example, depends on how the program is written.
>

> > I hope your help because I don't know if this is possible to do in
> > Linux Debian. I know that in Windows is possible but is more expensive
> > than to do it in Linux (Licenses).
>
> If it's possible under Windows, it's probably possible under linux
> (debian or not debian). You need to check the command line options of
> your program.

I think they call it Android :-)

Old 04-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Chris Bannister

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 12:47:56PM +0200, Antonio Fernández Pérez wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I would like to get that a graphical application developed in Java runs on
> startup of a Debian machine, if is possible without menu, without login
> panel and without system messages. Obviously without update messages.
>
> I would to get a machine that works with this app on startup like as a
> information point center. Do you understand me?
>
> I hope your help because I don't know if this is possible to do in Linux
> Debian. I know that in Windows is possible but is more expensive than to do
> it in Linux (Licenses).
>
> Thank you very much.

Start here:
http://linuxgazette.net/128/adam1.html

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Antonio Fernández Pérez

Sorry for delay to reply. I have been reading and testing some configurations, but not works fine. I have could not setup a kiosk on Debian that launch only a Java app on fullscreen mode.*
Please, anybody could help me? give me some howto that works or something to follow.

Thank you very much.
Best regards,*
Antonio.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120407212605.GM5514@tal

Old 04-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Tom Grace

On 11/04/12 10:46, Antonio Fernández Pérez wrote:
> Please, anybody could help me? give me some howto that works or
> something to follow.
The article Chris Bannister linked looks to cover everything you'd need,
how far did you get before you hit trouble ?