Old 04-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

Default RAID1 does not boot

Dear All,

i am a newbie, i tried RAID 1 installation on VM which was working
fine. now i tried to install the same scenario on physical machine. i
have two 300 GB Hard drives and i want to make a RAID1 every things
work perfectly. i created the RAID partition and then RAID device. i
created 3 partition on the RAID drive.

1./boot (1GB)
2.SWAP (not on RAID)
3./Root (300 GB)

now everything when fine to the end of the installation but the
problem is when i restart the machine after installation. it doest
boot however in VM machine it didn't happen.
but one thing i notice during installation it is giving me the message
"the Kernel was unable to re-read the partition table on /dev/md0
(invalid argument) this means Linux won't know anything about the
modifications you made until you reboot you should reboot you computer
before doing anyting with /dev/md0.

i tried Squeez 6.0.4 and
Lenny *several times and at the end *no-success.

kindly *Help!

Thanks,

MYK

Old 04-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Camaleón

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 14:43:40 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

> i am a newbie, i tried RAID 1 installation on VM which was working fine.
> now i tried to install the same scenario on physical machine. i have two
> 300 GB Hard drives and i want to make a RAID1 every things work
> perfectly. i created the RAID partition and then RAID device. i created
> 3 partition on the RAID drive.
>
> 1./boot (1GB)
> 2.SWAP (not on RAID)
> 3./Root (300 GB)
>
> now everything when fine to the end of the installation but the problem
> is when i restart the machine after installation. it doest boot however
> in VM machine it didn't happen.

A virtual machine does not always helps to diagnose hardware related
issues and the VM can be using a different set of kernel modules for the
disks.

Anyway, what error are you getting when booting? Can you reach the GRUB's
menu?

> but one thing i notice during
> installation it is giving me the message "the Kernel was unable to
> re-read the partition table on /dev/md0 (invalid argument) this means
> Linux won't know anything about the modifications you made until you
> reboot you should reboot you computer before doing anyting with
> /dev/md0.
>
> i tried Squeez 6.0.4 and
> Lenny *several times and at the end *no-success.

There are similar installation errors reported here:

But that shouldn't have additional drawbacks other than the warning.

My guess is that the problem here is booting from the raid volume.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

Thanks, i found out the problem but still i am confused actually
i have disk 1 and disk 2 with same specs like they both are 320 GB
and same made. here is my partition flow
(because i had tried installation so many times so i change the
partition structure)

1. /Boot 1GB (Boot on and on RAID /dev/md0)
2. SWAP 4 GB (RAID /dev/md1)
3, / (remaining space) (RAID /dev/md2)

now at the end after installation when system rebooted for the first
time i receive "error loading operating system" actually in BIOS boot
option i mistakenly selected SATA2 as boot instead of SATA 1. when i
shift things back i manage to reach grub menu.

now the part where i am confuse is that i believed that the computer
should have booted from SATA2 as well because boot partition is also
installed over it too. as i have created /boot partiton on RAID which
was md0. now for instance if my SATA 1 goes down then i would be
handicap as it will not going to boot from SATA2.
please suggest me what should i do in this regard. because what i
want that, if some thing happen to any of the drive i just have to
unplug the bad one and replace it with the new one ofcourse i know i
have to make same RAID partition and stuff but what i want is if SATA1
Fails i want SATA 2 to boot with out any complex efforts.

Thanks

Old 04-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 17:09:53 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

(please, keep a bottom posting style, it reads better)

> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>> My guess is that the problem here is booting from the raid volume.

> Thanks, i found out the problem but still i am confused actually i have
> disk 1 and disk 2 with same specs like they both are 320 GB and same
> made. here is my partition flow (because i had tried installation so
> many times so i change the partition structure)
>
> 1. /Boot 1GB (Boot on and on RAID /dev/md0)
> 2. SWAP 4 GB (RAID /dev/md1)
> 3, / (remaining space) (RAID /dev/md2)

So basically you have now included /boot and /swap into the RAID, right?

> now at the end after installation when system rebooted for the first
> time i receive "error loading operating system" actually in BIOS boot
> option i mistakenly selected SATA2 as boot instead of SATA 1. when i
> shift things back i manage to reach grub menu.

Okay, so now you get to GRUB's menu and then, what happens? Can you
finally boot your installed system?

> now the part where i am confuse is that i believed that the computer
> should have booted from SATA2 as well because boot partition is also
> installed over it too.

(...)

Mmm, IIRC software RAID (mdadm) needs from user intervention (manual
tweaking) when one of the disks goes offline (or you alter the disk order
at the BIOS ;-) ), at least for booting. I mean, you had to install GRUB
in both disks or something like that, I dont't remember the exact steps
but they should be documented...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 17:09:53 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>
> (please, keep a bottom posting style, it reads better)
>
>> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>>> My guess is that the problem here is booting from the raid volume.
>
>> Thanks, i found out the problem but still i am confused actually i have
>> disk 1 and disk 2 *with same specs like they both are 320 GB and same
>> made. here is my partition flow (because i had tried installation so
>> many times so i change the partition structure)
>>
>> 1. /Boot 1GB (Boot on and on RAID /dev/md0)
>> 2. SWAP 4 GB (RAID /dev/md1)
>> 3, / (remaining space) (RAID /dev/md2)
>
> So basically you have now included /boot and /swap into the RAID, right?
YES both are raid volumes

>> now at the end after installation when system rebooted for the first
>> time i receive "error loading operating system" actually in BIOS boot
>> option i mistakenly selected SATA2 as boot instead of SATA 1. when i
>> shift things back i manage to reach grub menu.
>
> Okay, so now you get to GRUB's menu and then, what happens? Can you
> finally boot your installed system?

Yes. i can work normally as i boot from the grub menu. there is no
problem at all. every thing is quite normal even here is the result of
"cat /proc/mdadm

Personalities : [raid1]
md2 : active raid1 sda3[0] sdb3[1]
307588416 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md1 : active (auto-read-only) raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1]
3903680 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[1]
1076224 blocks [2/2] [UU]

Old 04-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

sorry to bother you again. can you please give or guide me from where
i can find instruction for installation grub on both drives.

Thank you?

Old 04-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:

> sorry to bother you again. can you please give or guide me from where
> i can find instruction for installation grub on both drives.

grub-install /dev/sda
grub-install /dev/sdb

Old 04-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 19:19:42 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

> sorry to bother you again. can you please give or guide me from where i
> can find instruction for installation grub on both drives.
>
> Thank you?

Sure, let me search for some docs...

(scroll down to "Enabling boot from both disks")
http://www.texsoft.it/index.php?c=hardware&m=hw.storage.grubraid1&l=it

(scroll down to "Step4. Install GRUB2 on both drives:")
http://www.debian-tutorials.com/general/setting-up-raid1-on-an-existing-debian-squeeze-installation

*Do not run the commands by just copy/paste*, you have to understand what
you are doing and adjust the commands to your installation, taking a special
care with:

- Bootloader version (whether you're using GRUB legacy, GRUB2, LILO...)
- Hard disk partition where the bootloader has to be installed

Any error you make here can lead to an unbootable system (again) ;-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

Thanks Camaleon and TOM H. let me follow the instructions ill come
back with the results tomorrow as right now, office is closed

Old 04-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Bob Proulx

Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> now at the end after installation when system rebooted for the first
> time i receive "error loading operating system" actually in BIOS boot
> option i mistakenly selected SATA2 as boot instead of SATA 1. when i
> shift things back i manage to reach grub menu.

The debian-installer doesn't install grub onto both raid disks.
Arguably it should. But it doesn't. Perhaps in a future version this
will be fixed. For Squeeze it doesn't. Hopefully in Wheezy.

The debian-installer in Squeeze only installs grub on the first disk.
Usually that will be /dev/sda. Meaning that /dev/sda will boot okay.
Meaning that the second disk /dev/sdb will *not* boot.

This is a known deficiency. To correct this issue follow the
instructions posted by Tom in his message. You will need to install
grub manually to the second drive as Tom example shows.

grub-install /dev/sdb

After that it should boot from either drive okay.

Bob