Old 04-04-2012, 07:12 PM
"David L. Craig"

Default Debian From Scratch Revisited

Okay, I looked into Source Mage after I found myself in possession of a
quad-core 4GB hand-me-down box that could actually permit me to
undertake a full production platform built entirely from source
packages. While the distribution's reduced overall rigidity was
appealing and it was good to examine their approach, it has proven to be
unsatifactory for my requirements, so I'm back to my
when-its-absolutely-etc. distribution since release 1.0^H1.

The latest item I encountered about DFS is from April 2006 and it
apparently never reached version 1.00 (maybe somebody remembers the
story). Thus, it looks like I need to reinvent that wheel by absorbing
all the pertinent DD docs and diving in. I would be willing to write a
cookbook if there is enough interest.

I am thinking the cookbook should target intermediate GNU/Linux users
(I'd send the newbies to LFS to learn the basics before attempting DFS).
I expect potential DFSers would want to build an optimized Debian
without having to become (or even appear to be interested in becoming) a
full maintainer in the process; i.e., keep a low profile.

This topic may belong on the D-D list. I expect encouraging people to
build and update from source without fear of incurring any pressure to
become a maintainer would help them discover through the experience they
each in fact actually have within them the potential to become a really
useful engine^H^H^H^H^H^Hmaintainer.

I would appreciate any tips and pointers that would help me make up the
time lost investigating SM. I subscribe to D-U-Digest but may go
realtime if this generates significant discussion.

Archive: 4F7C9D1C.2080204@verizon.net">http://lists.debian.org/4F7C9D1C.2080204@verizon.net

Old 04-05-2012, 07:16 AM
"Russell L. Harris"

* David L. Craig <dlc_usa@verizon.net> [120405 05:48]:
> The latest item I encountered about DFS is from April 2006 and it
> apparently never reached version 1.00 (maybe somebody remembers the
> story). Thus, it looks like I need to reinvent that wheel by
> absorbing all the pertinent DD docs and diving in. I would be
> willing to write a cookbook if there is enough interest.

If I recall correctly, IPCop (now at release 2-something, open-source,
and in active development) claims to be based upon Debian From
Scratch.

(Please correct me if I am in error; perhaps the basis is Linux From
Scratch.)

RLH

Old 04-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 05/04/12 17:16, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> * David L. Craig <dlc_usa@verizon.net> [120405 05:48]:
>> The latest item I encountered about DFS is from April 2006 and it
>> apparently never reached version 1.00 (maybe somebody remembers the
>> story). Thus, it looks like I need to reinvent that wheel by
>> absorbing all the pertinent DD docs and diving in. I would be
>> willing to write a cookbook if there is enough interest.
>
> If I recall correctly, IPCop (now at release 2-something, open-source,
> and in active development) claims to be based upon Debian From
> Scratch.
>
> (Please correct me if I am in error; perhaps the basis is Linux From
> Scratch.)
>
> RLH

Linux From Scratch.
There are substantial differences between Debian and LFS (I once looked
at building a IPCop clone with Debian).

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-

Old 04-06-2012, 10:45 PM
"David L. Craig"

[odd--I never saw these replies in D-U-Ds 544-546, and
so am replying via the website]

It seems there isn't much interest here so I'll forego
the cookbook.

Interested parties should understand Debian IS IN FACT
based upon source packages and all binary packages are
built from these Debianized source packages, and have
been for a very long time. It's just that that's all
under the covers so you have to crack open the Debian
Developer documentation to discover and learn how to
use the magic.

It is probably more useful to think of building a
platform-optimized Debian environment as Debian From
Source rather than Debian From Scratch. Anyone who
understands how to construct a (perhaps cross-platform)
target system from source using a sufficient build
platform employing chroot and the usual development
tools should have no trouble building and then
maintaining a Debian From Source system after some
reading of the Policy Guide and the Developer's
Reference. Get a friend to download the docs for you
if you want to do it while hidden in a closet. If
you're really concerned, maybe the friend will set up
a stealthful unregistered source mirror for you to use,
too. ;-^

If you have the horsepower, use it. You'll probably
be glad you did. I expect to be.