Old 04-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Peter Easthope

Default Exim4 and SMTP relaying.

Referring to my http://142.103.107.138/NetworkExtant.jpg diagram, mutt
and exim4 running on Dalton can send a message, through port 465 with
TLS, to *.webwelcome.com and then to a destination.

Next I want to have Cantor send a message through exim4 on Dalton. The
connection from Cantor to Dalton should be plain old SMTP with no
authentication and no TLS. Which configuration options will allow this?
I've spent a few hours searching and reading in the manuals and not
found anything helpful; or perhaps just missed relevant options.

Thanks, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 639 0202. bcc: peter at easthope.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/ "
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "

Archive: 4F7C92C2.5070009@easthope.ca">http://lists.debian.org/4F7C92C2.5070009@easthope.ca

Old 04-05-2012, 07:39 AM
Joe

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 11:28:18 -0700
Peter Easthope <peter@easthope.ca> wrote:

> Referring to my http://142.103.107.138/NetworkExtant.jpg diagram,
> mutt and exim4 running on Dalton can send a message, through port 465
> with TLS, to *.webwelcome.com and then to a destination.
>
> Next I want to have Cantor send a message through exim4 on Dalton.
> The connection from Cantor to Dalton should be plain old SMTP with no
> authentication and no TLS. Which configuration options will allow
> this? I've spent a few hours searching and reading in the manuals and
> not found anything helpful; or perhaps just missed relevant options.

OK, it's a few years now since my exim4 was at that stage, so I'm not
really sure what is necessary...

... but to start with, locate /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf and see
what's in it. There should be an entry which may be empty called:

dc_relay_nets

which should contain network specifications separated by colons and
enclosed in single quotes. My guess for a first try is:

dc_relay_nets='172.24.1.0/24'

on the basis you're using a /24 netmask there. I don't believe that
exim4 by default checks sending domain, From: or anything else in the
message. It is also possible to relay by sending domain specification,
using dc_relay_domains, but that's probably not what you want here.

After the change, run update-exim4.conf and restart exim4.

--
Joe

Old 04-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 11:28:18 -0700, Peter Easthope wrote:

> Referring to my http://142.103.107.138/NetworkExtant.jpg diagram, mutt
> and exim4 running on Dalton can send a message, through port 465 with
> TLS, to *.webwelcome.com and then to a destination.
>
> Next I want to have Cantor send a message through exim4 on Dalton. The
> connection from Cantor to Dalton should be plain old SMTP with no
> authentication and no TLS. Which configuration options will allow this?
> I've spent a few hours searching and reading in the manuals and not
> found anything helpful; or perhaps just missed relevant options.

Speaking from a "Postfixized" mind, I can see two different approaches:

1/ Enforce the use of TSL to certain hosts
2/ Allow local hosts to do not use TLS

The exact keys that need to be tweaked to get these I can't tell :-)

Maybe there's something of interest here:

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch39.html

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Peter Easthope

Joe,

... should contain network specifications separated by colons and
enclosed in single quotes. My guess for a first try is:

dc_relay_nets='172.24.1.0/24'

on the basis you're using a /24 netmask there.

This configuration had been created with dpkg-reconfigure exim4.config.
No need to edit directly.

peter@dalton:~$ egrep -v '(^ *#)|(^ *$)' /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf
dc_eximconfig_configtype='smarthost'
dc_other_hostnames='dalton.pathology.ubc.ca'
dc_local_interfaces='::1 ; 172.24.1.1'
dc_readhost='dalton.invalid'
dc_relay_domains='
dc_minimaldns='false'
dc_relay_nets='172.24.1.0/24'
dc_smarthost='secure369.websitewelcome.com'
CFILEMODE='644'
dc_use_split_config='false'
dc_hide_mailname='false'
dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
dc_localdelivery='mail_spool'

After the change, run update-exim4.conf and restart exim4.

It didn't work and there were no error messages on Dalton.
Then I realized that consequent to one of my inane blunders, Cantor was
calling his own address 172.24.1.2,. Fixed that to 172.24.1.1, Dalton,
and it works just as intended. Thanks!

Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 12:07:20 +0000 (UTC)
From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Camale=F3n?= <noelamac@gmail.com>
> Speaking from a "Postfixized" mind, I can see two different approaches:
> 1/ Enforce the use of TSL to certain hosts
> 2/ Allow local hosts to do not use TLS

Appears that in the default configuration, Exim4 copes with TLS, present
or not. And accepts a local connection with or without a password.

Thanks to both of you, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 639 0202. bcc: peter at easthope.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/ "
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "