Old 04-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Sthu Deus

Default OT: favorite free-software email-subscription / feeds.

Good time of the day.

Can You recommend the debian / linux / free-software
free email-subscription / feeds - the ones You prefer?

Thanks for Your time and advice.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:50 PM
richard

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 22:26:51 +0700
Sthu Deus <sthu.deus@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good time of the day.
>

> Can You recommend the debian / linux / free-software
> free email-subscription / feeds - the ones You prefer?
>

> Thanks for Your time and advice.

Hi
I think you may have contacted me by accident, as I the most evil
person on the debian list at the moment, unless it was a genuine request

Best wishes / 73
Richard Bown

e-mail: richard@g8jvm.com

Escaped for gmail, Now hosted by SimplyMailSolutions
Please avoid using old e-mail address of richard.bown@blueyonder.co.uk

nil carborundum a illegitemis
################################################## ################################
Ham Call G8JVM . OS Fedora FC16 x86_64 on a Dell Insiron N5030 laptop
Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W ( degs
mins ) QRV HF + VHF Microwave 23 cms:140W,13 cms:100W,6 cms:10W & 3
cms:5W

Old 04-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 22:26:51 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Can You recommend the debian / linux / free-software free
> email-subscription / feeds - the ones You prefer?
>

> Thanks for Your time and advice.

Sure, these are RSS feeds, no e-mail subscriptions anymore :-)

http://www.linux-magazine.com/rss/feed/lmi_full
http://feeds.feedburner.com/LinuxMagazine
http://feeds.feedburner.com/linuxjournalcom
http://feeds.feedburner.com/Phoronix
http://rss.slashdot.org/Slashdot/slashdot

I also followed "Linux Devices¹" (linux hardware related news) but
has been recently adquired by a big magazine and the feeds are now
gone :-(

¹http://www.linuxfordevices.com/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Kelly Clowers

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 08:26, Sthu Deus <sthu.deus@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good time of the day.
>

> Can You recommend the debian / linux / free-software
> free email-subscription / feeds - the ones You prefer?

Not totally sure what you mean, are you looking for email lists and
rss/atom feeds to subscribe to?

Personally, for mailing lists, I read Debian-User, Debian-Maintainer
and Debian-Developer.

For feeds, I read a bunch of the Planets: Fedora, Gnome, KDE, Debian,
Freedesktop.org, Mozilla, HTML5, Jabber

I also read feeds from Phoronix, LWN, Ars Technica

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 04-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Kelly Clowers

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 08:55, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 22:26:51 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
>
>> Can You recommend the debian / linux / free-software free
>> email-subscription / feeds - the ones You prefer?
>>

>> Thanks for Your time and advice.
>
> Sure, these are RSS feeds, no e-mail subscriptions anymore :-)
>
> http://www.linux-magazine.com/rss/feed/lmi_full
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/LinuxMagazine
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/linuxjournalcom
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/Phoronix
> http://rss.slashdot.org/Slashdot/slashdot
>
> I also followed "Linux Devices¹" (linux hardware related news) but
> has been recently adquired by a big magazine and the feeds are now
> gone :-(
>
> ¹http://www.linuxfordevices.com/

Interesting, I always get bored by the actual magazines, and they are
so abstracted and removed from the community...
Usually the closer I get to the community and devs, the more I enjoy it.

Although I use atom feeds a lot, I am thinking of using an atom to
email converter, especially if I set up a desktop email client.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 04-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 09:08:57 -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 08:55, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 22:26:51 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
>>
>>> Can You recommend the debian / linux / free-software free
>>> email-subscription / feeds - the ones You prefer?
>>>

>>> Thanks for Your time and advice.
>>
>> Sure, these are RSS feeds, no e-mail subscriptions anymore :-)
>>
>> http://www.linux-magazine.com/rss/feed/lmi_full
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/LinuxMagazine
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/linuxjournalcom
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/Phoronix
>> http://rss.slashdot.org/Slashdot/slashdot
>>
>> I also followed "Linux Devices¹" (linux hardware related news) but has
>> been recently adquired by a big magazine and the feeds are now gone :-(
>>
>> ¹http://www.linuxfordevices.com/
>>

> Interesting, I always get bored by the actual magazines, and they are so
> abstracted and removed from the community... Usually the closer I get to
> the community and devs, the more I enjoy it.

:-)

They're mostly written for a non-technical audience and sometimes is
reassuring reading things in plain parlance.

I also visit from time to time "Debian Planet", a very good source to get
in touch with Debian forthcoming stuff. And also follow a couple of
general security feeds ("Security Focus" and "US-CERT") to keep in touch
with the latests security holes.

> Although I use atom feeds a lot, I am thinking of using an atom to email
> converter, especially if I set up a desktop email client.

I prefer keep things separate (kinda "divide and conquer" approach),
that's why I use:

- Pan (as newsreader for reading/post to mailing lists)
- Mutt (as e-mail client for personal things)
- Thunderbird (as e-mail client for work)
- Liferea (as news feeder for reading web magazines and newspapers)

(heck, I now realize why my RAM consumption reaches up to "1.5 GiB" :-P)

I can easily use Thunderbird as e-mail client, newsreader and also feed
reader and thus removing two programs but I don't like mix up these
things and dedicated applications have their own advantages.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Indulekha

In linux.debian.user, Kelly Clowers wrote:

> Interesting, I always get bored by the actual magazines, and they are
> so abstracted and removed from the community...
> Usually the closer I get to the community and devs, the more I enjoy it.
>
> Although I use atom feeds a lot, I am thinking of using an atom to
> email converter, especially if I set up a desktop email client.

I have used rss2email before, it works quite well.

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 04-06-2012, 04:52 AM
Sthu Deus

Good time of the day, richard.

You worte:

>I think you may have contacted me by accident, as I the most evil
>person on the debian list at the moment, unless it was a genuine
>request

Hmm. How did I ? I wrote to the list, and not to You directly, neither
I knew Your email.

Sthu.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:59 AM
Sthu Deus

Good time of the day, Kelly.

Thank You for Your time and answer.
You worte:

>Not totally sure what you mean, are you looking for email lists and
>rss/atom feeds to subscribe to?

I'm looking for email / feed subscriptions - the news come to email box
or feeds program. It is the email list subscription.

>Personally, for mailing lists, I read Debian-User, Debian-Maintainer
>and Debian-Developer.
>
>For feeds, I read a bunch of the Planets: Fedora, Gnome, KDE, Debian,
>Freedesktop.org, Mozilla, HTML5, Jabber
>
>I also read feeds from Phoronix, LWN, Ars Technica

Oh, that's great, thank You.

Sthu.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:30 AM
Sthu Deus

Good time of the day, Camaleón.

Thank You for Your time and answer.
You worte:

>Sure, these are RSS feeds, no e-mail subscriptions anymore :-)

Well, I am new to RSS, I have tried it w/ claws-mail plug-in and did
not like that I was unable to remove the read feeds permanently - that
is it was removed until next feeds update. Therefore, I like email
subscriptions more.

The one subscription I had before time wearied me w/ their swearing
(basically in linux software - I understand that the developers
involved may be immoral - but why spread it by news makers?!) so I had
to decline it. / And now I am looking for replacement.

Why do You prefer feeds over email, in case it is not a secret? ;o)

>http://www.linux-magazine.com/rss/feed/lmi_full
>http://feeds.feedburner.com/LinuxMagazine
>http://feeds.feedburner.com/linuxjournalcom
>http://feeds.feedburner.com/Phoronix