Old 04-04-2012, 12:58 PM
"J. Bakshi"

Default NAS box configuration

Dear list,

I have one old PC with intel core2duo with 128 MB RAM.
As the motherboard has 2 sata cables, I can add two 2TB
HDD in this box to make a NAS box. What I'm missing is a
good online doc to configure debian for the NAS. One option
is freeNAS. I have no idea which one will be better. Could
anyone suggest the better among freeNAs and debian alongwith
a good doc which needed to be followed ?

Thanks

Old 04-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Jon Dowland

On 04/04/12 13:58, J. Bakshi wrote:
> What I'm missing is a good online doc to configure debian for the
> NAS. One option is freeNAS. I have no idea which one will be better.

That depends on how you want to use your NAS. (protocols? clients?
backup?) Generally, an "appliance"-like OS such as freeNAS will be a lot
easier to set up and get running, for 90% of use-cases, and very
difficult to configure for the remaining 10%.

With a more general OS (such as Debian) you will be able to tweak it to
do whatever you want, but you will have to learn about the technologies
you need one-by-one rather rather than setup-and-go.

Having said that, Debian (and other generic OSes) have made leaps and
strides towards making these things easier to do than they ever were before.

Disclaimer: I've never used freeNAS. I used to have a NAS appliance
(Thecus N2100) with a stock firmware that I replaced with vanilla Debian
and configured to my tastes.

--
Jon Dowland

Old 04-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 18:28:56 +0530, J. Bakshi wrote:

> I have one old PC with intel core2duo with 128 MB RAM. As the
> motherboard has 2 sata cables, I can add two 2TB HDD in this box to make
> a NAS box. What I'm missing is a good online doc to configure debian for
> the NAS. One option is freeNAS. I have no idea which one will be better.
> Could anyone suggest the better among freeNAs and debian alongwith a
> good doc which needed to be followed ?

If you have no specific requirements for the OS that will control the NAS
I would just perform a small Debian installation with no GUI or lite DE
and configure to act as a NAS server or whatever you need because this
will be the more flexible solution.

If you still prefer a pre-made NAS based OS (that handles RAID, et al)
you can consider another alternatives to FreeNAS such as OpenMediaVault,
Openfiler, Zentyal, Nexenta...

Related docs/faqs/how tos can be found on their sites :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Rares Aioanei

If you still prefer a pre-made NAS based OS (that handles RAID, et al)
you can consider another alternatives to FreeNAS such as OpenMediaVault,
Openfiler, Zentyal, Nexenta...

Related docs/faqs/how tos can be found on their sites :-)

Bear in mind that, if you care about this, FreeNAS is BSD-based, just as
Nexenta is OpenSolaris-based. One difference might be that the latter
two support ZFS, while Linux support for this is less mature as of now.

--
Rares Aioanei

Archive: 4F7C9D62.1070900@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F7C9D62.1070900@gmail.com

Old 04-05-2012, 06:20 AM
"J. Bakshi"

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 14:05:10 +0100
Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:

> On 04/04/12 13:58, J. Bakshi wrote:
> > What I'm missing is a good online doc to configure debian for the
> > NAS. One option is freeNAS. I have no idea which one will be better.
>
> That depends on how you want to use your NAS. (protocols? clients?
> backup?) Generally, an "appliance"-like OS such as freeNAS will be a lot
> easier to set up and get running, for 90% of use-cases, and very
> difficult to configure for the remaining 10%.

NFS/CIFS etc ... which should work with all the os boxes... Linux/windows/Mac

> With a more general OS (such as Debian) you will be able to tweak it to
> do whatever you want, but you will have to learn about the technologies
> you need one-by-one rather rather than setup-and-go.

Interesting. How can I then go for a debian based NAS box ?
It will be fine if I get a minimal system working as NAS but
better if any web gui available. It would be great if I can
run the base OS from any USB or flash card and use the entire
HDD for backup.

-- regards

Old 04-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Jon Dowland

On 04/04/12 20:13, Rares Aioanei wrote:

> Bear in mind that, if you care about this, FreeNAS is BSD-based, just as
> Nexenta is OpenSolaris-based. One difference might be that the latter
> two support ZFS, while Linux support for this is less mature as of now.

I have multiple feelings about this.

Firstly, I'd describe 'less mature' as an understatement ☺

If one wanted to use ZFS and Debian in production, they can use
Debian/KFreeBSD, possibly as a VM running on top of Debian GNU/Linux.

I'd certainly think it was worth seriously thinking whether ZFS was a
real hard requirement, though. Especially for home NAS purposes. In an
environment where ZFS fits naturally, such as FreeBSD, then it's a
no-brainer over e.g. UFS; but when you have to work to support it (e.g.
under Debian GNU/Linux) you should really ask whether it's worth the
effort and risk.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 22:13:38 +0300, Rares wrote in message
<4F7C9D62.1070900@gmail.com>:

> On 04/04/2012 05:21 PM, Camaleón wrote:
> > On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 18:28:56 +0530, J. Bakshi wrote:
> > If you still prefer a pre-made NAS based OS (that handles RAID, et
> > al) you can consider another alternatives to FreeNAS such as
> > OpenMediaVault, Openfiler, Zentyal, Nexenta...
> >
> > Related docs/faqs/how tos can be found on their sites :-)
> >
> Bear in mind that, if you care about this, FreeNAS is BSD-based, just
> as Nexenta is OpenSolaris-based. One difference might be that the
> latter two support ZFS, while Linux support for this is less mature
> as of now.

..my understanding is, at least some of the headers in ZFS
are licensed under the CDDL.
AFAIR from http://groklaw.net/ on the tSCOG litigations, the
CDDL's main feature is it's intentional anti-GPL nature, it
was created specifically to be incompatible with the GPL, to
support the "The SCO Group" (Microsoft strawman) litigations,
by trying to split and divide the coding communities.

..for details, use Groklaw's search page to search for CDDL,
Google honors Groklaw's robot.txt.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: