Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   grub2 screen resolution (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/652543-grub2-screen-resolution.html)

Bonno Bloksma 04-04-2012 10:37 AM

grub2 screen resolution
 
Hi,

When I install a Squeeze machine, or when I update a Lenny machine to Squeeze, the first thing I do is to change the screen resolution so I can get some more tekst on the console when I need it. Of course most of the time I use ssh (or PuTTY) to go to a server and I can choose the screen size om my desktop but when there is a problem and I need to be at the console it is nice if there can be more then 80 chars on a line and 25 lines on a screen. :-(

I do not understand the defaults build into Grub2.
For instace the default resolution, it is at 640x480. Which machine running Linux cannot at least use 800x600? Or is Grub2 made with hendhelds as a target environment as well?

The second thing I don not understand it why Grub2 will not keep the screen resolution after the menu has gone. Why does it by default ALWAYS go back to 640x480 even when the menu is shown at a higher resolution? I can understand there being a option NOT to keep the menu resolution if that may be nedded but by default it should keep the same resolution.

Right now I have to add a line GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600 to the /etc/default/grub file each time. That part I kan still understand, eventhough I think that should be the default resolution.
But I also have to change the /etc/grub.d/00_header script each time by adding the line set gfxpayload=keep at the proper place.

Is this a bug in the Grub2 system that will be resolved or does this need users to "bug" the Grub developers to change this? If the latter, how and where to I (and others) tell them that?

Bonno Bloksma


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 89D1798A7351D040B4E74E0A043C69D70109038C@HGLEXCH-01.tio.nl">http://lists.debian.org/89D1798A7351D040B4E74E0A043C69D70109038C@HGLEXCH-01.tio.nl

Scott Ferguson 04-04-2012 11:20 AM

grub2 screen resolution
 
On 04/04/12 20:37, Bonno Bloksma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I install a Squeeze machine, or when I update a Lenny machine
> to Squeeze, the first thing I do is to change the screen resolution
> so I can get some more tekst on the console when I need it. Of course
> most of the time I use ssh (or PuTTY) to go to a server and I can
> choose the screen size om my desktop but when there is a problem and
> I need to be at the console it is nice if there can be more then 80
> chars on a line and 25 lines on a screen. :-(
>
> I do not understand the defaults build into Grub2. For instace the
> default resolution, it is at 640x480. Which machine running Linux
> cannot at least use 800x600? Or is Grub2 made with hendhelds as a
> target environment as well?

Yes - especially those squint-o-vision "widescreen" ratio netbooks.

>
> The second thing I don not understand it why Grub2 will not keep the
> screen resolution after the menu has gone. Why does it by default
> ALWAYS go back to 640x480 even when the menu is shown at a higher
> resolution? I can understand there being a option NOT to keep the
> menu resolution if that may be nedded but by default it should keep
> the same resolution.
>
> Right now I have to add a line GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600 to the
> /etc/default/grub file each time.

Modify it then:-
#update-grub

> That part I kan still understand, eventhough I think that should be
> the default resolution. But I also have to change the
> /etc/grub.d/00_header script each time by adding the line set
> gfxpayload=keep at the proper place.
>
> Is this a bug in the Grub2 system that will be resolved or does this
> need users to "bug" the Grub developers to change this? If the
> latter, how and where to I (and others) tell them that?

You might want to read /etc/default/grub first... (first line)

>
> Bonno Bloksma
>
>

Kind regards

--
Iceweasel/Firefox/Chrome/Chromium/Iceape/IE extensions for finding
answers to questions about Debian:-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/collections/Scott_Ferguson/debian/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4F7C2E7C.2040405@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F7C2E7C.2040405@gmail.com

Dom 04-04-2012 12:18 PM

grub2 screen resolution
 
On 04/04/12 11:37, Bonno Bloksma wrote:

Hi,

When I install a Squeeze machine, or when I update a Lenny machine to Squeeze, the first thing I do is to change the screen resolution so I can get some more tekst on the console when I need it. Of course most of the time I use ssh (or PuTTY) to go to a server and I can choose the screen size om my desktop but when there is a problem and I need to be at the console it is nice if there can be more then 80 chars on a line and 25 lines on a screen. :-(

I do not understand the defaults build into Grub2.
For instace the default resolution, it is at 640x480. Which machine running Linux cannot at least use 800x600? Or is Grub2 made with hendhelds as a target environment as well?


Some of my older, smaller laptops only display up to 800x480, for one
example.



The second thing I don not understand it why Grub2 will not keep the screen resolution after the menu has gone. Why does it by default ALWAYS go back to 640x480 even when the menu is shown at a higher resolution? I can understand there being a option NOT to keep the menu resolution if that may be nedded but by default it should keep the same resolution.

Right now I have to add a line GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600 to the /etc/default/grub file each time. That part I kan still understand, eventhough I think that should be the default resolution.
But I also have to change the /etc/grub.d/00_header script each time by adding the line set gfxpayload=keep at the proper place.


You should not need to change the 00_header script.

Adding a line into /etc/default/grub, after the GRUB_GFXMODE entry with

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

should make grub keep the screen resolution.

You will need to run update-grub to regenerate and install the change
configuration of course.




Is this a bug in the Grub2 system that will be resolved or does this need users to "bug" the Grub developers to change this? If the latter, how and where to I (and others) tell them that?


It is not a bug.

--
Dom


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4F7C3C18.4080908@rpdom.net">http://lists.debian.org/4F7C3C18.4080908@rpdom.net

Jon Dowland 04-04-2012 01:08 PM

grub2 screen resolution
 
On 04/04/12 11:37, Bonno Bloksma wrote:
> The second thing I don not understand it why Grub2 will not keep the
> screen resolution after the menu has gone. Why does it by default
> ALWAYS go back to 640x480 even when the menu is shown at a higher
> resolution?

Grub is essentially an entirely distinct operating system from Linux.
Grub is loaded by the BIOS, it then loads the rest of itself,
and it hands over to Linux when it quits.

When you leave grub (by selecting a menu entry), control of the display
is handed over to the Linux kernel, which will default to a text-mode
display initially (in most cases).

Later in the boot sequence (in most cases) the DRM drivers are loaded
and kernel mode-setting kicks in, which alters the display to a higher
resolution.

If you want a more consistent display resolution, then grub would need
to instruct the linux kernel to initialise the video display to match
what it used. This is (I think) not impossible: certainly, prior to
KMS, you could use a framebuffer console, and you could configure its
resolution on the kernel command line. However, I'm not sure how that
stuff interacts with the KMS stuff, so I'd advise not to bother.


--
Jon Dowland

Bonno Bloksma 04-05-2012 11:45 AM

grub2 screen resolution
 
Hi,

>> I do not understand the defaults build into Grub2. For instance the
>> default resolution, it is at 640x480. Which machine running Linux
>> cannot at least use 800x600? Or is Grub2 made with hendhelds as a
>> target environment as well?

> Yes - especially those squint-o-vision "widescreen" ratio netbooks.

Ok.

>> Right now I have to add a line GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600 to the
>> /etc/default/grub file each time.

> Modify it then:-
> #update-grub

I know about update-grub, did not think I needed to mention that as it is needed for all changes to the grub settings.

> You might want to read /etc/default/grub first... (first line)
Like I wrote, I knew that. ;-)

Bonno Bloksma

Bonno Bloksma 04-05-2012 11:48 AM

grub2 screen resolution
 
Hi Dom,

>> Right now I have to add a line GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600 to the /etc/default/grub file each time. That part I kan still understand, eventhough I think that should be the default resolution.
>> But I also have to change the /etc/grub.d/00_header script each time by adding the line set gfxpayload=keep at the proper place.

> You should not need to change the 00_header script.
>
> Adding a line into /etc/default/grub, after the GRUB_GFXMODE entry with
>
> GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep
>
> should make grub keep the screen resolution.

AHA, an undocumented feature. At least, it is not documented in the /etc/default/grub file itself.

> You will need to run update-grub to regenerate and install the change configuration of course.

I know abou that. ;-)

Bonno Bloksma


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 89D1798A7351D040B4E74E0A043C69D7010927E6@HGLEXCH-01.tio.nl">http://lists.debian.org/89D1798A7351D040B4E74E0A043C69D7010927E6@HGLEXCH-01.tio.nl

Brian 04-05-2012 01:20 PM

grub2 screen resolution
 
On Thu 05 Apr 2012 at 11:48:57 +0000, Bonno Bloksma wrote:

> AHA, an undocumented feature. At least, it is not documented in the
> /etc/default/grub file itself.

You need to do:

info grub

Bet you didn't know about that. :)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120405132030.GC16316@desktop">http://lists.debian.org/20120405132030.GC16316@desktop

Bonno Bloksma 04-06-2012 06:17 AM

grub2 screen resolution
 
Hi,

>> AHA, an undocumented feature. At least, it is not documented in the
>> /etc/default/grub file itself.

> You need to do:
>
> info grub
>
> Bet you didn't know about that. :)

Well.... I knew about info but when I want to know about syntax I use mainly man, but there is no man page for grub.
Also the info pages start off with a lot off text before we get to the options in the /etc/default/grub file, that threw me of. ;-)

Bonno Bloksma


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 89D1798A7351D040B4E74E0A043C69D7010940C4@HGLEXCH-01.tio.nl">http://lists.debian.org/89D1798A7351D040B4E74E0A043C69D7010940C4@HGLEXCH-01.tio.nl

Scott Ferguson 04-06-2012 07:11 AM

grub2 screen resolution
 
On 06/04/12 16:17, Bonno Bloksma wrote:

<snipped>

> there is no man page for grub.

!?

grub-bin2h
grub-editenv
grub-emu
grub-install
grub-mkconfig
grub-mkdevicemap
grub-mkfont
grub-mkimage
grub-mkpasswd-pbkdf2
grub-mkrelpath
grub-mkrescue
grub-probe
grub-reboot
grub-script-check
grub-set-default
grub-setup
lb_binary_grub
lb_binary_grub2
update-grub
update-grub2

<snipped>


Kind regards

--
Iceweasel/Firefox/Chrome/Chromium/Iceape/IE extensions for finding
answers to questions about Debian:-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/collections/Scott_Ferguson/debian/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4F7E973E.1020709@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F7E973E.1020709@gmail.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:35 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.