FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-04-2012, 09:35 AM
James Brown
 
Default Problems in fonts in console appear again

After upgrading from lenny to sqeeuze last year I faced witha problem of
fonts in the console.
Problem has been overcome in this way:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/04/msg00294.html
After installing the kernel linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 I have
problems with fonts/video again: when loading new kernel I have a small
screen size so as in console as in X11.
I exclude "video = LVDS-1:640 x 480" from grub configuration. After that
the new kernel load fine, but I have very small fonts in my console so
as last summer after upgrading from lenny to squeeze.
Have any ideas?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4F7C15D7.5050809@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F7C15D7.5050809@gmail.com
 
Old 04-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Scott Ferguson
 
Default Problems in fonts in console appear again

On 04/04/12 19:35, James Brown wrote:
> After upgrading from lenny to sqeeuze last year I faced witha problem of
> fonts in the console.
> Problem has been overcome in this way:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/04/msg00294.html

> After installing the kernel linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 I have
> problems with fonts/video again: when loading new kernel I have a small
> screen size so as in console as in X11.
> I exclude "video = LVDS-1:640 x 480" from grub configuration. After that
> the new kernel load fine, but I have very small fonts in my console so
> as last summer after upgrading from lenny to squeeze.
> Have any ideas?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying above....

Try the following in /etc/default/grub
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset
video=uvesafb:mode_option=$finalresolutionanddepth ,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap"

Then run:-
# update-grub

Where $finalresolutionanddepth is something like 1024x768-32 (eg.
800x600-24) depending on what you use on the desktop.

NOTE: this is not the same as as the xrandr instruction you are/were using.


Kind regards

--
Iceweasel/Firefox/Chrome/Chromium/Iceape/IE extensions for finding
answers to questions about Debian:-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/collections/Scott_Ferguson/debian/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4F7C3169.4030107@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F7C3169.4030107@gmail.com
 
Old 04-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Brian
 
Default Problems in fonts in console appear again

On Wed 04 Apr 2012 at 09:35:19 +0000, James Brown wrote:

> After upgrading from lenny to sqeeuze last year I faced witha problem of
> fonts in the console.
> Problem has been overcome in this way:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/04/msg00294.html
> After installing the kernel linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 I have
> problems with fonts/video again: when loading new kernel I have a small
> screen size so as in console as in X11.
> I exclude "video = LVDS-1:640 x 480" from grub configuration. After that
> the new kernel load fine, but I have very small fonts in my console so
> as last summer after upgrading from lenny to squeeze.
> Have any ideas?

Does

dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

do anything for you?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120404114221.GZ16316@desktop">http://lists.debian.org/20120404114221.GZ16316@desktop
 
Old 04-05-2012, 09:04 AM
James Brown
 
Default Problems in fonts in console appear again

On 04.04.2012 11:32, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 04/04/12 19:35, James Brown wrote:
>> After upgrading from lenny to sqeeuze last year I faced witha problem of
>> fonts in the console.
>> Problem has been overcome in this way:
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/04/msg00294.html
>
>> After installing the kernel linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 I have
>> problems with fonts/video again: when loading new kernel I have a small
>> screen size so as in console as in X11.
>> I exclude "video = LVDS-1:640 x 480" from grub configuration. After that
>> the new kernel load fine, but I have very small fonts in my console so
>> as last summer after upgrading from lenny to squeeze.
>> Have any ideas?
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you're saying above....
>
> Try the following in /etc/default/grub
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset
> video=uvesafb:mode_option=$finalresolutionanddepth ,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap"
>
> Then run:-
> # update-grub
>
> Where $finalresolutionanddepth is something like 1024x768-32 (eg.
> 800x600-24) depending on what you use on the desktop.
>
> NOTE: this is not the same as as the xrandr instruction you are/were using.
>
>
> Kind regards
>


Now I have the next configuratuon of /etc/default/grub:
> GRUB_DEFAULT=2
> GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
> GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="video=LVDS-1:640x480 ipv6.disable=1"
(which works well with the kernel from official distro but not with the
kernel from bpo).
Do I need exclude "video=LVDS-1:640x480" from GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX for
using your config?
And where I need place my record "ipv6.disable=1" - in the string
"GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" of leave it in "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX"?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4F7D6029.3000909@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F7D6029.3000909@gmail.com
 
Old 04-05-2012, 09:08 AM
James Brown
 
Default Problems in fonts in console appear again

On 04.04.2012 11:42, Brian wrote:
> On Wed 04 Apr 2012 at 09:35:19 +0000, James Brown wrote:
>
>> After upgrading from lenny to sqeeuze last year I faced witha problem of
>> fonts in the console.
>> Problem has been overcome in this way:
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/04/msg00294.html
>> After installing the kernel linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 I have
>> problems with fonts/video again: when loading new kernel I have a small
>> screen size so as in console as in X11.
>> I exclude "video = LVDS-1:640 x 480" from grub configuration. After that
>> the new kernel load fine, but I have very small fonts in my console so
>> as last summer after upgrading from lenny to squeeze.
>> Have any ideas?
>
> Does
>
> dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
>
> do anything for you?
>
>


I have the max size of fonts in the setting of console-setup. A year ago
changing configuration of that settings was unhelpfull too. Only usage
of "video = LVDS-1:640 x 480" was helpful in that problem. (Probably
something else but I didn't know and didn't try).
And it seems to me that reconfiguring "console-setup" cannot help me in
the matter of the screen in the console are not full, corresponding to
the physical size of display.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4F7D6117.6030307@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F7D6117.6030307@gmail.com
 
Old 04-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Scott Ferguson
 
Default Problems in fonts in console appear again

On 05/04/12 19:08, James Brown wrote:
> On 04.04.2012 11:42, Brian wrote:
>> On Wed 04 Apr 2012 at 09:35:19 +0000, James Brown wrote:
>>
>>> After upgrading from lenny to sqeeuze last year I faced witha problem of
>>> fonts in the console.
>>> Problem has been overcome in this way:
>>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/04/msg00294.html
>>> After installing the kernel linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 I have
>>> problems with fonts/video again: when loading new kernel I have a small
>>> screen size so as in console as in X11.
>>> I exclude "video = LVDS-1:640 x 480" from grub configuration. After that
>>> the new kernel load fine, but I have very small fonts in my console so
>>> as last summer after upgrading from lenny to squeeze.
>>> Have any ideas?
>>
>> Does
>>
>> dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
>>
>> do anything for you?
>>
>>
>
>
> I have the max size of fonts in the setting of console-setup. A year ago
> changing configuration of that settings was unhelpfull too. Only usage
> of "video = LVDS-1:640 x 480" was helpful in that problem. (Probably
> something else but I didn't know and didn't try).
> And it seems to me that reconfiguring "console-setup" cannot help me in
> the matter of the screen in the console are not full, corresponding to
> the physical size of display.
>
>
Aaah, now I understand what you've describing (tiny screen, not tiny
fonts) - check your BIOS for an "expand screen" type option. I can't
remember the exact terminology but there's something similar in my
Thinkpads (and I'm too lazy to look).
If that't the case, then the BIOS setting and console-setup is the
solution, in which case ignore my previous suggestion.


Kind regards

--
Iceweasel/Firefox/Chrome/Chromium/Iceape/IE extensions for finding
answers to questions about Debian:-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/collections/Scott_Ferguson/debian/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4F7D6F09.6080303@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F7D6F09.6080303@gmail.com
 
Old 04-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Brian
 
Default Problems in fonts in console appear again

On Thu 05 Apr 2012 at 09:08:39 +0000, James Brown wrote:

> On 04.04.2012 11:42, Brian wrote:
> >
> > Does
> >
> > dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
> >
> > do anything for you?
>
> I have the max size of fonts in the setting of console-setup. A year ago

What are FONTFACE and FONTSIZE in /etc/default/console-setup?

> changing configuration of that settings was unhelpfull too. Only usage
> of "video = LVDS-1:640 x 480" was helpful in that problem. (Probably
> something else but I didn't know and didn't try).

What is the native resolution of your laptop screen?

> And it seems to me that reconfiguring "console-setup" cannot help me in
> the matter of the screen in the console are not full, corresponding to
> the physical size of display.

Are SCREEN_WIDTH and SCREEN_HEIGHT commented out in the file above?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120405102225.GA16316@desktop">http://lists.debian.org/20120405102225.GA16316@desktop
 
Old 04-05-2012, 12:17 PM
James Brown
 
Default Problems in fonts in console appear again

On 05.04.2012 10:22, Brian wrote:
> On Thu 05 Apr 2012 at 09:08:39 +0000, James Brown wrote:
>
>> On 04.04.2012 11:42, Brian wrote:
>>>
>>> Does
>>>
>>> dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
>>>
>>> do anything for you?
>>
>> I have the max size of fonts in the setting of console-setup. A year ago
>
> What are FONTFACE and FONTSIZE in /etc/default/console-setup?

FONTFACE="Fixed"
FONTSIZE="16"

>
>> changing configuration of that settings was unhelpfull too. Only usage
>> of "video = LVDS-1:640 x 480" was helpful in that problem. (Probably
>> something else but I didn't know and didn't try).
>
> What is the native resolution of your laptop screen?

1280x800
>
>> And it seems to me that reconfiguring "console-setup" cannot help me in
>> the matter of the screen in the console are not full, corresponding to
>> the physical size of display.
>
> Are SCREEN_WIDTH and SCREEN_HEIGHT commented out in the file above?
>
>

Yeah:#
# SCREEN_WIDTH=80
# SCREEN_HEIGHT=25
Do it needs to indicate 1280x800?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4F7D8D6D.7060801@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F7D8D6D.7060801@gmail.com
 
Old 04-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Brian
 
Default Problems in fonts in console appear again

On Thu 05 Apr 2012 at 12:17:49 +0000, James Brown wrote:

> On 05.04.2012 10:22, Brian wrote:
> >
> > What are FONTFACE and FONTSIZE in /etc/default/console-setup?
>
> FONTFACE="Fixed"
> FONTSIZE="16"

You can do better than this. Install the xfonts-terminus package. I'm a
little surprised your console-setup doesn't offer them.

> > What is the native resolution of your laptop screen?
>
> 1280x800

I'd say you should be booting into this resolution. With KMS and the
cards I have it is done automatically.

> > Are SCREEN_WIDTH and SCREEN_HEIGHT commented out in the file above?
>
> Yeah:#
> # SCREEN_WIDTH=80
> # SCREEN_HEIGHT=25
> Do it needs to indicate 1280x800?

Mine (like yours) are untouched and things are fine.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120405131329.GB16316@desktop">http://lists.debian.org/20120405131329.GB16316@desktop
 
Old 04-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Tom H
 
Default Problems in fonts in console appear again

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 5:04 AM, James Brown <jbrownfirst@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04.04.2012 11:32, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 04/04/12 19:35, James Brown wrote:
>>> After upgrading from lenny to sqeeuze last year I faced witha problem of
>>> fonts in the console.
>>> Problem has been overcome in this way:
>>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/04/msg00294.html
>>
>>> After installing the kernel linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 I have
>>> problems with fonts/video again: when loading new kernel I have a small
>>> screen size so as in console as in X11.
>>> I exclude "video = LVDS-1:640 x 480" from grub configuration. After that
>>> the new kernel load fine, but I have very small fonts in my console so
>>> as last summer after upgrading from lenny to squeeze.
>>> Have any ideas?
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand what you're saying above....
>>
>> Try the following in /etc/default/grub
>> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset
>> video=uvesafb:mode_option=$finalresolutionanddepth ,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap"
>>
>> Then run:-
>> # update-grub
>>
>> Where $finalresolutionanddepth is something like 1024x768-32 (eg.
>> 800x600-24) depending on what you use on the desktop.
>>
>> NOTE: this is not the same as as the xrandr instruction you are/were using.
>
> Now I have the next configuratuon of /etc/default/grub:
>> GRUB_DEFAULT=2
>> GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
>> GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
>> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
>> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="video=LVDS-1:640x480 ipv6.disable=1"
> (which works well with the kernel from official distro but not with the
> kernel from bpo).
> Do I need exclude "video=LVDS-1:640x480" from GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX for
> using your config?
> And where I need place my record "ipv6.disable=1" - in the string
> "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" of leave it in "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX"?

Don't you have any values for "GRUB_GFXMODE" or
"GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX" set in "/etc/default/grub"? You have to set
them to the resolution that you want to use.

"GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" sets the command line for the regular
menu entry and "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX" sets the command line for both the
regular and the recovery menu entries.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAOdo=SzDB-owfEeE4w1Ezr7b8StbSJnoUd7iYOXa0U3fxisrxg@mail.gmai l.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAOdo=SzDB-owfEeE4w1Ezr7b8StbSJnoUd7iYOXa0U3fxisrxg@mail.gmai l.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:18 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org