Old 04-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Alex Samad

Default IMPORTANT BUSINESS TRANSACTION FOR YOU PLEASE READ AND REPLY!!!!!!

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 11:05:56AM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 11:57:30AM -0400, steve wrote:
> > can the moderator please remove this idiot from the list?? Ive been
> > getting this junk no less than ten times a day for lord knows how long.

[snip]

> (And, in an attempt to head off the inevitable "close the list and only
> allow subscribers to post" suggestions, this is something which Debian
> policy does not allow for, as it would make it more difficult for new
> Debian users to get help with their problems. Aside from the barrier to
> access presented by a subscription requirement, it would also mean that
> they would be required to submit themselves to the list's message
> volume, which is larger than many people like to receive. Although
> YMMV, I believe that this is the correct policy, both for Debian and for
> help/support lists in general. There are other ways to address spam
> beyond simply blindly blocking all non-subscriber messages.)

Is there a way to provide feed back to the list server, so the users can
report spam - although this would then open to abuse. I suppose some
weighting could be done

> --
> News aggregation meets world domination. Can you see the fnews?
> http://seethefnews.com/

pavement is precisely 1 bananosecond.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Alex Samad

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 12:10:38AM +0200, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> On Monday 07 April 2008 00:04:34 Alex Samad wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> > Is there a way to provide feed back to the list server, so the users can
> > report spam - although this would then open to abuse. I suppose some
> > weighting could be done
> >
> > > --
>
> Go there: http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/ find the message and click on
> the button "Report as spam" on the top right of the page.

is there any way to do this with mail, maybe if it was a header I could
then wget the report as spam link. Don't really want to open a browser
to do this

> Thierry

Stop searching forever. Happiness is just next to you.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Bob Cox

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 16:07:55 -0400, Brian McKee (map@map-heb.com) wrote:

> On 7-Apr-08, at 3:05 PM, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
>>> I believe the technique you're looking for is "greylisting".
>>
>> I know the concept of greylisting. Are you sure, that we do want
>> greylinsting on debian? Do we want that poor lads on dial-up have to
>> dial-up several times in order to send a simple, short text message?
>
> Wouldn't anyone on dialup be using a smarthost ? e.g. their ISP to send
> mail?
>
> And isn't it only for the first time that server is used that it bounces
> it?

Yes. My first message to this list a few weeks ago was definitely
greylisted, but subsequent messages have gone though without delay.

I send direct-to-MX without using an ISP smarthost, but of course agree
that this would not be practical on a dialup connection.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Chris Bannister

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 11:05:56AM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 11:57:30AM -0400, steve wrote:
> > can the moderator please remove this idiot from the list?? Ive been
> > getting this junk no less than ten times a day for lord knows how long.
>
> Debian-user is an open list which can be posted to by anyone, whether a
> list member or not. The spammer(s) in question is most likely not
> subscribed to the list and, therefore, cannot be removed from it. Even
> if he is a subscriber and was removed, he'd still be able to post
> messages to the list.
>
> D-u gets occasional waves of heavy spamming as some new technique is
> developed by the spammers which allows their crap to elude the list's
> spam filters, but it's generally a short-term issue and solved within a
> day or two by an update to the list's filter rules.
>
> (And, in an attempt to head off the inevitable "close the list and only
> allow subscribers to post" suggestions, this is something which Debian
> policy does not allow for, as it would make it more difficult for new
> Debian users to get help with their problems. Aside from the barrier to

Yeah, but it makes it more difficult for new Debian users to get
answers to their problems if you *also* have reply to list as Policy. In
fact, the more I think about it, the more illogical it seems.

--
Chris.
======