-   -   Unable to mount external USB devices -- Wheezy KDE -- SOLVED (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/652216-unable-mount-external-usb-devices-wheezy-kde-solved.html)

ntrfug 04-03-2012 02:41 PM

Unable to mount external USB devices -- Wheezy KDE -- SOLVED

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:59:42 -0500
ntrfug <ntrfug@saucysailor.org> wrote:

> For years I have been able to use external hard drives and thumb
> drives on my systems, but not since I installed Wheezy.

> The problem is not limited to devices with NTFS file systems; I can't
> mount ext2 or ReiserFS devices either.

I backup my system by exchanging the CD/DVD device for a second hard
drive, partitioned the same as my system hard drive.

I thought I would be organized, and created entries in /etc/fstab for
each of those second-hard-drive partitions; the first was NTFS. I, umm,
don't back up every day ;) and I had forgotted about those entries.

Whenever I inserted any removable device, the system saw it
as /dev/sdb1, looked in fstab, and tried to mount the device as NTFS.

When I commented out the offending lines in fstab I was able to mount
removable devices normally.

Camaleón, the log excerpt was posted to the thread in my Sun, 1 Apr 2012
08:15:21 -0500 reply to Andrei.

Camaleón 04-03-2012 03:21 PM

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 09:41:47 -0500, ntrfug wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:59:42 -0500
> ntrfug <ntrfug@saucysailor.org> wrote:
>
>> For years I have been able to use external hard drives and thumb drives
>> on my systems, but not since I installed Wheezy.

>> The problem is not limited to devices with NTFS file systems; I can't
>> mount ext2 or ReiserFS devices either.
>
> I backup my system by exchanging the CD/DVD device for a second hard
> drive, partitioned the same as my system hard drive.
>
> I thought I would be organized, and created entries in /etc/fstab for
> each of those second-hard-drive partitions; the first was NTFS. I, umm,
> don't back up every day ;) and I had forgotted about those entries.
>
> Whenever I inserted any removable device, the system saw it as
> /dev/sdb1, looked in fstab, and tried to mount the device as NTFS.
>
> When I commented out the offending lines in fstab I was able to mount
> removable devices normally.

That's why we have to use UUID instead >:-)

> Camaleón, the log excerpt was posted to the thread in my Sun, 1 Apr 2012
> 08:15:21 -0500 reply to Andrei.

Thanks.

But if you mean this:

I see no mention there to the afore mentioned NTFS-3G warning at all ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

ntrfug 04-03-2012 10:34 PM

Unable to mount external USB devices -- Wheezy KDE -- SOLVED

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 15:21:14 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> I see no mention there to the afore mentioned NTFS-3G warning at
> all ;-)

The NTFS-3G message was quoted in the original post of this thread.

Andrei POPESCU 04-04-2012 08:29 AM

On Ma, 03 apr 12, 15:21:14, Camaleón wrote:

> That's why we have to use UUID instead >:-)

...or LABELs.

Kind regards,
Andrei

ntrfug 04-04-2012 01:16 PM

Unable to mount external USB devices -- Wheezy KDE -- SOLVED

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 11:29:12 +0300
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Ma, 03 apr 12, 15:21:14, Camaleón wrote:
> >
> > That's why we have to use UUID instead >:-)
>
> ...or LABELs.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

Thank you both. Using either labels or uuids in fstab will accomplish
what I was trying to do.

Camaleón 04-04-2012 02:26 PM

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 17:34:34 -0500, ntrfug wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 15:21:14 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I see no mention there to the afore mentioned NTFS-3G warning at all
>> ;-)
>
> The NTFS-3G message was quoted in the original post of this thread.

Of course, because -as far as I understood- he was mounting a NTFS
formatted USB device (SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón