Old 04-05-2012, 12:04 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Default correct English usage

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 00:00:02 +0100
Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 04 April 2012 21:36:39 Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > > Another personal attack, putting words in my mouth (I never said
> > > that I was perfect) and then refuting them. I believe that there
> > > is a term for that. Like your ad hominem attack above, that is a
> > > sign of one who is loosing an argument.
> >
> > +1
>
> No, it is a sign that I did not want to debate with Dotan off-list.
> He tries to win by steam-rollering me and I have no desire to repeat
> the experience. Hopefully, he will now leave me alone. But I though
> that off-list post on this list was not supposed to be published
> on-list without the express agreement of the sender?
>
> Lisi

On-list or off, your method is as he has described it. If your wish is
to not engage in either argument or discussion then.. don't engage.

Indeed, it seems that you use the same or similar method here as you
have not before mentioned any off-list messages to you, even in your
response to him.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
“disingenuous at best and outrageous at worst.”
Marc Racicot

Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Lisi

On Thursday 05 April 2012 01:04:36 Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On-list or off, your method is as he has described it. *If your wish is
> to not engage in either argument or discussion then.. * *don't engage.

Yes, I did allow him to provoke me. And yes, I should not have done so.

> Indeed, it seems that you use the same or similar method here as you
> have not before mentioned any off-list messages to you, even in your
> response to him.

As he says, there were several emails off-list before he chose to put the
whole of it on-list. I had and have no wish to quarrel on-list.

Lisi

Old 04-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 19:55:47 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 4. April 2012 schrieb Camaleón:
>> On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 23:20:10 +0200, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>> > On 03/04/12 19:21, Camaleón wrote:
>> (...)

>> > Maybe, but you wouldn't pass for a native speaker, and that's what
>> > this is all about, isn't it? If I'm wrong about that, then all bets
>> > are off; use whatever word takes your fancy!
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Well, I somehow disagree with that.
>
> I am certainly tempted to make a screenshot of the view of this thread
> here in KMail, upload it somewhere and put a link here.

No need for all that work. You can get the big picture here:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/04/threads.html#00193

> You aren´t still discussing some wording in Releasenotes or other
> documentation, aren´t you?

You read and you'll find out.

> I might try whether KMail handles ignoring this thread. It sometimes
> seems to work at other times mails in the thread are still marked as
> new.

This thread was (properly) tagged as "OT" and thus can be easily ignored/
filtered/avoided by anyone. Move on.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Donnerstag, 5. April 2012 schrieb Camaleón:
> On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 19:55:47 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> >> (...)

> >> (...)
> >>
> >> Well, I somehow disagree with that.
> >
> > I am certainly tempted to make a screenshot of the view of this
> > thread here in KMail, upload it somewhere and put a link here.
>
> No need for all that work. You can get the big picture here:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/04/threads.html#00193

Thats only a subthread of the complete thread.

> > I might try whether KMail handles ignoring this thread. It sometimes
> > seems to work at other times mails in the thread are still marked as
> > new.
>
> This thread was (properly) tagged as "OT" and thus can be easily
> ignored/ filtered/avoided by anyone. Move on.

And I may perfectly express my astonishment about the size and the amount
of off topic content in that thread.

I think it is important to have a balance.

I did not force you in any way to stop it, I just wanted to raise
awareness on what you are doing here.

And everyone still gets each mail.

I also replied to the thread OTOH. But I think its good to settle it now /
soon.

Happy easter,,

Old 04-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 13:28:27 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 5. April 2012 schrieb Camaleón:

(...)

>> > I am certainly tempted to make a screenshot of the view of this
>> > thread here in KMail, upload it somewhere and put a link here.
>>
>> No need for all that work. You can get the big picture here:
>>
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/04/threads.html#00193
>
> Thats only a subthread of the complete thread.

IIRC, I did not participate in the other branch.

>> > I might try whether KMail handles ignoring this thread. It sometimes
>> > seems to work at other times mails in the thread are still marked as
>> > new.
>>
>> This thread was (properly) tagged as "OT" and thus can be easily
>> ignored/ filtered/avoided by anyone. Move on.
>
> And I may perfectly express my astonishment about the size and the
> amount of off topic content in that thread.

Of course you can. By doing so you're not going to disturb my sleep :-)

> I think it is important to have a balance.
>
> I did not force you in any way to stop it, I just wanted to raise
> awareness on what you are doing here.

If you are a usual reader of these mailing list you shouldn't be
surprised at all to see long threads like this.

> And everyone still gets each mail.
>
> I also replied to the thread OTOH. But I think its good to settle it now
> / soon.

You can stop from posting when you wish, specially if you're not going to
contribute to the matter or you find it's a waste of time.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Curt

On 2012-04-05, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> civil conversation. You obviously have much experience, and I find
> that weathering your insults is worth the knowledge that I gain from
> interacting with you. That is an underhanded compliment, by the way.

Underhanded or left-handed?

(Don't answer that; let it be rhetorical so that the thread can die a
peaceful death and not resuscitate upon the ambiguity of your
finely-tuned epitaph).