Old 04-03-2012, 04:49 AM
T Elcor

Default Wheezy: Can't see no maps in navit

Hi,

I can't see no maps in navit at all. What I did:

1) Installed navit
2) Created and downloaded bin file with maps from http://maps5.navit-project.org/
3) Updated /etc/navit/navit.xml to point to the downloaded maps:

<mapset enabled="yes"> <map type="binfile" enabled="yes" data="/path/to/my/maps/osm_file.bin"/>
</mapset>

4) When I run navit, a window opens up and it's just filled from border to border with yellow-brownish background, that's it. If I click somewhere inside the window, I can get to configuration menus and in the Maps section navit lists the bin file I set up in step 3. But still it shows no maps.

Any ideas? Thanks

Old 04-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 21:49:33 -0700, T Elcor wrote:

> I can't see no maps in navit at all. What I did:
>
> 1) Installed navit
> 2) Created and downloaded bin file with maps from
> http://maps5.navit-project.org/ 3) Updated /etc/navit/navit.xml to
> point to the downloaded maps:
>
> <mapset enabled="yes"> <map type="binfile" enabled="yes"
> data="/path/to/my/maps/osm_file.bin"/> </mapset>
>
> 4) When I run navit, a window opens up and it's just filled from border
> to border with yellow-brownish background, that's it. If I click
> somewhere inside the window, I can get to configuration menus and in
> the Maps section navit lists the bin file I set up in step 3. But still
> it shows no maps.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks

A shoot in the dark: did you disable the rest of the pre-set maps?

There are more tips here:

http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/OpenStreetMap#Tips

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-03-2012, 06:26 PM
T Elcor

--- On Tue, 4/3/12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> A shoot in the dark: did you disable the rest of the pre-set
> maps?

Eventually I did.

> There are more tips here:
>
> http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/OpenStreetMap#Tips

That was a good suggestion. The only way I was able to get it working is to copy /etc/navit/navit.xml to ~/.navit/navit.xml and edit the local user copy. Editing /etc/navit/navit.xml seems to have no effect.

>From the usability perspective, it also help to enable zoom buttons in navit.xml, as they are disabled by default, making the map of little use.

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 11:26:33 -0700, T Elcor wrote:

> --- On Tue, 4/3/12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A shoot in the dark: did you disable the rest of the pre-set maps?
>
> Eventually I did.
>
>> There are more tips here:
>>
>> http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/OpenStreetMap#Tips
>

> That was a good suggestion. The only way I was able to get it working is
> to copy /etc/navit/navit.xml to ~/.navit/navit.xml and edit the local
> user copy. Editing /etc/navit/navit.xml seems to have no effect.

Mmm... according to Navit's help, that is exactly what has to happen:

***
http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Configuring_Navit#Foreword

Setting up Navit is done by editing a configuration file. Unless
specified, it is called "navit.xml". When launching, Navit will look for
it in the following order:

- The first argument supplied on the command line, e.g.: navit /home/
myusername/navittestconfig.xml

- The navit.xml file in ~/.navit/navit.xml : e.g : /home/
myusername/.navit/navit.xml. This is probably to best place to customize
your settings.

- The navit.xml.local file in the current directory. Used mainly for
development, but maybe also useful for you.

- The navit.xml file in the current directory.
***

Which means that by default (unless you tell to do otherwise) it won't
lookup for "/etc/navit/navit.xml".

> From the usability perspective, it also help to enable zoom buttons in
> navit.xml, as they are disabled by default, making the map of little
> use.
>
> Thanks for your help.

You're welcome. Good that you solved it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón