Old 04-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Anton Pussep

Default PTP camera, setting rights does not work

Hi everybody,

I experience difficulties to access my PTP camera as non-root. The
camera is a Canon A580, that supports PTP via USB very well. I can
access the camera as root, but not as a local user.

Using the gphoto manual
(http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/permissions-usb.html) I tried to make
hotplug and HAL set permissions, but it did not work. For hotplug I
created a usbcam.usermap and a usbcam script, but the script does not
get executed. After that I tried HAL, but it seems like there is no
policy file for gphoto.

I don't know how to proceed in this problem, may be someone else has an
idea? Who should be responsible for setting rights in general, hotplug
or HAL? Why isn't there a policy file for gphoto, when there is an
information file?

My system is the current Debian testing with a self-compiled kernel
2.6.24.4.

Best,
Anton

Old 04-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 04-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Anton Pussep

Thanks for your reply:

Ron Johnson wrote:

I experience difficulties to access my PTP camera as non-root. The
camera is a Canon A580, that supports PTP via USB very well. I can
access the camera as root, but not as a local user.

Using the gphoto manual
(http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/permissions-usb.html) I tried to make
hotplug and HAL set permissions, but it did not work. For hotplug I
created a usbcam.usermap and a usbcam script, but the script does not
get executed. After that I tried HAL, but it seems like there is no
policy file for gphoto.

I don't know how to proceed in this problem, may be someone else has an
idea? Who should be responsible for setting rights in general, hotplug
or HAL? Why isn't there a policy file for gphoto, when there is an
information file?

Add yourself to the camera and plugdev groups.

There is no group "camera" in my system. I added myself to the group
"plugdev", however, but it did not help.

My main question is where are the permissions set? They are not
hardcoded or set magically I guess, there must be a script that is
responsible for doing so.

Best,
Anton

Old 04-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 04-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Anton Pussep

Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

Then you need to create it. BTW, what branch are you running?

I did, but it didn't help. I still couldn't find any file that refers to
the "camera" group. I am running Debian lenny (testing), last upgraded
on 6th of April 2008.

My main question is where are the permissions set? They are not
hardcoded or set magically I guess, there must be a script that is
responsible for doing so.

By udev.

Okay, there is a file /etc/udev/libgphoto2.rules, it only mentions the
"plugdev" group. But even though my user is in that group (and also
"camera"), it still does not work.

So which devices group is supposed to be set to "plugdev" or "camera",
anyway? dmesg output says:

usb 2-10: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4

But this doesn't really help.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:04 AM
Ron Johnson

On 04/06/08 18:30, Anton Pussep wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>> There is no group "camera" in my system. I added myself to the group
>>> "plugdev", however, but it did not help.
>>
>> Then you need to create it. BTW, what branch are you running?
>
> I did, but it didn't help. I still couldn't find any file that refers to
> the "camera" group. I am running Debian lenny (testing), last upgraded
> on 6th of April 2008.
>
>>> My main question is where are the permissions set? They are not
>>> hardcoded or set magically I guess, there must be a script that is
>>> responsible for doing so.
>>
>> By udev.
>
> Okay, there is a file /etc/udev/libgphoto2.rules, it only mentions the
> "plugdev" group. But even though my user is in that group (and also
> "camera"), it still does not work.

Here's a thought: did you log all the way out after adding yourself
to that group?

> So which devices group is supposed to be set to "plugdev" or "camera",
> anyway? dmesg output says:
>
> usb 2-10: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
> usb 2-10: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>
> But this doesn't really help.

Does it or /var/log/syslog indicate anything else?

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

We want... a Shrubbery!!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:04 AM
Marc Shapiro

Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

I am having similar problems with a Nikon Coolpix L11 that I just
bought. I had not even tried, however, to run gtkam as root until I
read Anton's post. I checked the gphoto site and it said that the
camera was supported, so I went and bought it. I can access it as a
Mass Storage device, but if I set it to PTP and try to use gtkam, it
does not work. I have since determined that support for the L11 was
only recently added, so is not in the version in Etch. The camera
should be recognized as a generic PTP camera, however. If I run gtkam
as a normal user and tell it to detect the camera then it says it found
a PTP camera, but it will not initialize the camera. If I start gtkam
as root then it detects the camera just the same, but it DOES initialize
the camera and I can view, save and delete images. I, also, would like
to be able to run gtkam as a normal user and not as root. I have added
myself to the plugdev group (camera does not exist here, either, as on
Anton's box) and I have completely logged out and back in, but the
results are the same. Can anyone help Anton and me?

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

Old 04-07-2008, 07:17 AM
Anton Pussep

Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

Yes, I even tried a reboot.

So which devices group is supposed to be set to "plugdev" or "camera",
anyway? dmesg output says:

usb 2-10: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4

But this doesn't really help.

Does it or /var/log/syslog indicate anything else?

/var/log/syslog contains the same message as the dmesg-output.

Now what I would like to know is if the /etc/udev/libgphoto2.rules gets
executed at all and for which device it sets the permissions, any ideas
how to get there?

Old 04-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Anton Pussep

Marc Shapiro wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

This is interesting, my camera is not recognised at all when I'm logged
in as non-root.