Old 04-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Alberto Fuentes

Default backup: automount and launch an script

Im planning to have an external usb disk that i can plug to all my
computers, and without interaction, sync all data i want with the disks.
Also, umount at the end and send me and email with the details of the
backup attempt.

The only part im not sure is how to automount the disk and launch the script

also, if you know of some tool that is already able to perform all these
tasks, it would save me some troble

thanks!
alberto

Archive: 4F798A03.8010008@qindel.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F798A03.8010008@qindel.com

Old 04-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 13:14:11 +0200, Alberto Fuentes wrote:

> Im planning to have an external usb disk that i can plug to all my
> computers, and without interaction, sync all data i want with the disks.
> Also, umount at the end and send me and email with the details of the
> backup attempt.
>
> The only part im not sure is how to automount the disk and launch the
> script

I bet you can use/write an udev rule to launch a script/program to be run
when the automounter detects the device insertion.

> also, if you know of some tool that is already able to perform all these
> tasks, it would save me some troble

Rsync? Unison? Self-made script?

There are also package divertions aimed to be used for backup/syncing
purposes that may include what you want out-of-the-box.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Alberto Fuentes

Im planning to have an external usb disk that i can plug to all my
computers, and without interaction, sync all data i want with the disks.
Also, umount at the end and send me and email with the details of the
backup attempt.

The only part im not sure is how to automount the disk and launch the
script

I bet you can use/write an udev rule to launch a script/program to be run
when the automounter detects the device insertion.

nice, udev rules is certainly what i was looking for

also, if you know of some tool that is already able to perform all these
tasks, it would save me some troble

Rsync? Unison? Self-made script?

I was thinking about using rsync. Does unison have any advantage in 1 to
1 syncs like the one i want to do?

My idea is to have a external usb disk to avoid crashing/get lose
related with the machines that hold the data, but maybe is easier (and
as safe) if i just connect the disk (external or internally) to one of
the machines and issue rsyncs from there... via network. I accept advice
about this from people with experience regarding backups

One of my concerns is if there is a way to detect that the same file
just moved. I mean, if i move a file to another folder, the rsync is
going to just erase it and move it from source again (AFAIK). Anyway to
avoid this pitfall?

There are also package divertions aimed to be used for backup/syncing
purposes that may include what you want out-of-the-box.

package divertions? what do you mean? any that come to mind?

Also im thinking about encrypt the backup disk if is going to be around
and somebody can just steal it... any recomendations for this? (i never
used encrypted file systems coz im afraid if something is corrupted, is
going to be harder to recover)

Greetings,

thanks!

greets!
aL

Archive: 4F79D418.1000004@qindel.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F79D418.1000004@qindel.com

Old 04-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 18:30:16 +0200, Alberto Fuentes wrote:

> On 02/04/12 17:04, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> also, if you know of some tool that is already able to perform all
>>> these tasks, it would save me some troble
>>
>> Rsync? Unison? Self-made script?
>
> I was thinking about using rsync. Does unison have any advantage in 1 to
> 1 syncs like the one i want to do?

They both provide a different set of features. Maybe rsync is more suited
to be run from command line while Unison (in addition to the command
line) adds a GUI.

> My idea is to have a external usb disk to avoid crashing/get lose
> related with the machines that hold the data, but maybe is easier (and
> as safe) if i just connect the disk (external or internally) to one of
> the machines and issue rsyncs from there... via network. I accept advice
> about this from people with experience regarding backups

I would prefer that approach of using one computer as a central point
where the client machines put their data and then sync from there to the
external disk.

> One of my concerns is if there is a way to detect that the same file
> just moved. I mean, if i move a file to another folder, the rsync is
> going to just erase it and move it from source again (AFAIK). Anyway to
> avoid this pitfall?

That's what usually happens when "syncing" or "mirroring", each of the
copies are keep the same but I think this can be customized, at least in
Unison. Or maybe you need a backup/archive utility more than just a mere
syncing approach.

>> There are also package divertions aimed to be used for backup/syncing
>> purposes that may include what you want out-of-the-box.
>
> package divertions? what do you mean? any that come to mind?

"Divertions" → "variations" in Camaleon's parlance :-P

Packages that while using rsync are targeted to another purposes (backup)
like "rdiff-backup" or "back in time".

> Also im thinking about encrypt the backup disk if is going to be around
> and somebody can just steal it... any recomendations for this? (i never
> used encrypted file systems coz im afraid if something is corrupted, is
> going to be harder to recover)

If the external disk is going to be used exclusively for holding data, I
would go here for a complete disk encryption solution using luks or encfs.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-03-2012, 09:53 AM