Old 04-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Aidan Gauland

Default Freeze on wake

After returning my 1015BX and getting a 1015B Eee PC, I have a hardware
compatibility problem (at least I think it's a hardware problem):
sometimes on wakeup from sleep, the system freezes and can only be reset
by removing the battery; holding the power button shuts it off, but it
comes back frozen instead of cold booting when I press it again.

There doesn't appear to be any pattern to the freezes, so I haven't been
able to find a workaround. I'm using Gnome3, so whatever backend that
uses is what I'm using for suspend (I'm assuming pm-utils). I know
pm-utils has some workaround for hardware "quirks," but I can't figure
out how to enable them system-wide (so it's used when I suspend from Gnome).

Can anyone offer any help?

Regards,
Aidan Gauland

Old 04-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 22:55:00 +1200, Aidan Gauland wrote:

> After returning my 1015BX and getting a 1015B Eee PC, I have a hardware
> compatibility problem (at least I think it's a hardware problem):
> sometimes on wakeup from sleep, the system freezes and can only be reset
> by removing the battery; holding the power button shuts it off, but it
> comes back frozen instead of cold booting when I press it again.

(...)

Being an EEEPC, I would also post into their mailing list:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-eeepc-devel/

Debugging resuming can be tricky and hard, it can be almost anything
(BIOS, kernel version, a faulty/conflicting driver...). I'd start by
reviewing the logs ("/var/log/pm-suspend.log") just in the event there is
something of usefulness.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Aidan Gauland

On 03/04/12 03:58, Camaleón wrote:
> Being an EEEPC, I would also post into their mailing list:
>
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-eeepc-devel/

I will do that. Thank you for pointing that out.

> Debugging resuming can be tricky and hard, it can be almost anything
> (BIOS, kernel version, a faulty/conflicting driver...). I'd start by
> reviewing the logs ("/var/log/pm-suspend.log") just in the event there is
> something of usefulness.

There is nothing about resuming at the end of the log file; just saying
that the last suspend went well.

Regards,
Aidan Gauland

Old 04-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Aidan Gauland

On 03/04/12 03:58, Camaleón wrote:
> Being an EEEPC, I would also post into their mailing list:
>
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-eeepc-devel/

I will do that. Thank you for pointing that out.

> Debugging resuming can be tricky and hard, it can be almost anything
> (BIOS, kernel version, a faulty/conflicting driver...). I'd start by
> reviewing the logs ("/var/log/pm-suspend.log") just in the event there is
> something of usefulness.

I looked there first, and there's nothing about the failed resume, only
messages about the last suspend and that it went well.

Regards,
Aidan Gauland