Old 04-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Nick White

Default No sound with new install

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 01:14:44PM +0300, Mika Suomalainen wrote:
> On 02.04.2012 12:49, Nick White wrote:
> > One thing which isn't yet working though is sound.
>
> Try installing Pulseaudio. It has fixed same issue for me.

Didn't help, unfortunately. Unsuprisingly, given that even alsamixer
and friends didn't succeed.

Thanks for the thought, though.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Lu, 02 apr 12, 13:14:44, Mika Suomalainen wrote:

> Try installing Pulseaudio. It has fixed same issue for me.

At this point I'd rather not add another variable.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Lu, 02 apr 12, 10:49:05, Nick White wrote:

> 'alsactl init' returns the following:
> Unknown hardware: "HDA-Intel" "Realtek ALC887-VD" "HDA:10ec0887,1458a002,00100302" "0x1458" "0xa002"
> Hardware is initialized using a guess method

This is not very encouraging (given that you are already using a fairly
new kernel), am I correct to assume this is a (very) new board?

Please also add output of:

aplay -l
aplay -L
cat /proc/asound/cards

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 04-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Nick White

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 01:48:21PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> This is not very encouraging (given that you are already using a fairly
> new kernel), am I correct to assume this is a (very) new board?

Yes, likely. It's a new PC, so could well be.

> Please also add output of:

'aplay -l' output:
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

'aplay -L' output:
null
default:CARD=PCH
HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
Default Audio Device
front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
Front speakers
surround40:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
surround41:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
surround50:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
surround51:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
surround71:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
iec958:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Digital
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

'cat /proc/asound/cards' output:
0 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7d00000 irq 41

Old 04-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Lu, 02 apr 12, 11:57:57, Nick White wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 01:48:21PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > This is not very encouraging (given that you are already using a fairly
> > new kernel), am I correct to assume this is a (very) new board?
>
> Yes, likely. It's a new PC, so could well be.
>
> > Please also add output of:

[snip]

Ok, this all looks good. Please make sure that you turn off any program
that may produce sounds[1] and try as root *and* as user:

speaker-test -c2

You should hear hissing (pink) noise alternating from the left and right
speaker. Use Ctrl+C to interrupt and post error messages here (if any).

[1] including but not limited to music/video players, browsers, or even
the entire desktop environment. To be 100% safe you should probably boot
in recovery mode...

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 04-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Lu, 02 apr 12, 10:49:05, Nick White wrote:

> 'alsamixer' fails with:
> cannot load mixer controls: Invalid argument

What about 'amixer'?

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 04-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Raffaele Morelli

2012/4/2 Nick White <nick.white@durham.ac.uk>

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 01:48:21PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> This is not very encouraging (given that you are already using a fairly

> new kernel), am I correct to assume this is a (very) new board?

Yes, likely. It's a new PC, so could well be.

> Please also add output of:

'aplay -l' output:

card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]

Have a look at* /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver/
there are lots of info about hd models (install alsa-base if you don't)

look for your souncard model infod in the relevant files and the specify your model in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf using

options snd-hda-intel model=MODEL

regards
-r

Old 04-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Nick White

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 02:06:40PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> What about 'amixer'?

amixer: Mixer default load error: Invalid argument

Old 04-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Tom Ashley

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 11:57:57 +0100
Nick White <nick.white@durham.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 01:48:21PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > This is not very encouraging (given that you are already using a
> > fairly new kernel), am I correct to assume this is a (very) new
> > board?
>
> Yes, likely. It's a new PC, so could well be.
>
> > Please also add output of:
>
> 'aplay -l' output:
> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD
> Analog] Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD
> Digital] Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> 'aplay -L' output:
> null
> Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
> default:CARD=PCH
> HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
> Default Audio Device
> front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
> HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
> Front speakers
> surround40:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
> HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
> 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> surround41:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
> HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
> 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround50:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
> HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
> 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> surround51:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
> HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
> 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround71:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
> HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
> 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer
> speakers iec958:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
> HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Digital
> IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
>
> 'cat /proc/asound/cards' output:
> 0 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
> HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7d00000 irq 41

I spent the last 2 days trying to resolve this same issue on a new
motherboard. The alternative method from http://wiki.debian.org/ALSA
worked for me.

HTH

Tom Ashley

Old 04-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Nick White

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 02:05:31PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> Ok, this all looks good. Please make sure that you turn off any program
> that may produce sounds[1] and try as root *and* as user:
>
> speaker-test -c2
>
> You should hear hissing (pink) noise alternating from the left and right
> speaker. Use Ctrl+C to interrupt and post error messages here (if any).

Sadly I don't hear anything at all. I closed everything including X,
so am pretty confident nothing was stealing the soundcard. Also no
error messages; the speaker test continued happily sending pink
noise nowhere.

Thanks for your help so far, Andrei!