Old 04-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Andrei POPESCU

Default Debian Governance

On Du, 01 apr 12, 16:49:34, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> Right... but in this case, the Debian project is a pretty big one,
> with some formal governance, and the rules are written to govern a
> whole bunch of lists. So I kind of wonder if there's any formality
> somewhere along the chain, like there is with committing things to
> the Debian repos.

This seems like an interesting question for people not following Debian
very closely so I think it deserves to be discussed here (but I'm
changing the subject).

By default Debian works as a do-ocracy. That means that whoever is
(currently) in charge over an area, in our case the mailing lists,
(a.k.a. the listmasters) are responsible for amending the rules.

Problems or wishes can be reported against the pseudo-package
lists.debian.org[1], but do (as usual) check existing bug reports and it
helps a lot if you include a patch as well.

Assuming the listmasters, or any other Debian Developer (DD), have done
something that others do not agree with the issue is usually brought
before a larger audience (typically debian-devel for technical issues,
debian-project for things such as the lists' CoC). Most issues are then
solved after (sometimes lengthy) discussions.

If a consensus can still not be reached there are two options: 1) a
General Resolution (GR) to override a DD decision or 2) the Technical
Committee.

While a GR can be proposed only by Debian Developers anyone can bring a
matter before the Technical Committee[2]. Please note that both options
are seldom used as they are considered very disrupting, demotivating,
etc. etc.

At any point during the above one may involve also the DPL (Debian
Project Leader), assuming s/he may have missed the issue. The DPL may
then act as a mediator, but could (in extreme cases) also revoke a
delegation[3].

For all the gory details read the Constitution.

[1] most if not all non-packaging areas have pseudo-packages in the BTS,
the one notable exception being DSA (Debian System Administrators) who
use RT (for security/privacy reasons?).
[2] issues brought to the Technical Committee are, of course, of a
technical nature. See the bugs for the corresponding pseudo-package for
more insight
[3] some non-packaging jobs in Debian are done by DPL Delegates, e.g.
the ftpmasters or DSA.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 04-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Miles Fidelman

Andrei POPESCU wrote:

Right... but in this case, the Debian project is a pretty big one,
with some formal governance, and the rules are written to govern a
whole bunch of lists. So I kind of wonder if there's any formality
somewhere along the chain, like there is with committing things to
the Debian repos.

This seems like an interesting question for people not following Debian
very closely so I think it deserves to be discussed here (but I'm
changing the subject).

<details snipped>

Andrei, Most informative. Thanks, Miles

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra