Old 04-01-2012, 08:54 PM
abdelkader belahcene

Default octave versus scilab

hi,
I want to choose between octave and scilab, somebody can give us**** an overview
about advantages and disadvantages for each.
Now I am using* scilab 5.3* and I have a problem ( with graphic interface) because it uses java and opengl for the interface.* the devloppers said that the pb will be fixed in next version??!!!

I want to switch to octave, before i want to be sure that is the good decision!!

thanks for help
regards

Old 04-02-2012, 10:12 AM
"Ólafur Jens Siguršsson"

On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 09:54:50PM +0100, abdelkader belahcene wrote:
> hi,
> I want to choose between octave and scilab, somebody can give us an
> overview
> about advantages and disadvantages for each.
> Now I am using scilab 5.3 and I have a problem ( with graphic interface)
> because it uses java and opengl for the interface. the devloppers said
> that the pb will be fixed in next version??!!!
>

> I want to switch to octave, before i want to be sure that is the good
> decision!!

Hi Abdelkader, I have used octave but not scilab so I can't compare
the two but I have been following the development of octave and it
seems to be in good hands. As you perhaps know then octave is almost
compatible with matlab but the major obstacle with octave was theyr
bad implementation of loops, don't know if this is fixed yet. But then
again since octave is a matrix calculation software the your better
off by turning every calculation into a matrix calculation then doing
loops.

I don't know about graphical interfaces for octave, never used one, I
just write my .m files and run them.

Octave uses advanced numerical libraries so you don't have to worry
much about performance.

That is my take on octave, as I say I have never used scilab so I
can't really compare the two.

HTH

Oli

Old 04-03-2012, 12:54 AM
Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen

see below:

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 05:12, Ólafur Jens Siguršsson <ojsbug@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 09:54:50PM +0100, abdelkader belahcene wrote:

> hi,

> I want to choose between octave and scilab, somebody can give us * * an

> overview

> about advantages and disadvantages for each.

> Now I am using *scilab 5.3 *and I have a problem ( with graphic interface)

> because it uses java and opengl for the interface. *the devloppers said

> that the pb will be fixed in next version??!!!

> I want to switch to octave, before i want to be sure that is the good

> decision!!

Hi Abdelkader, I have used octave but not scilab so I can't compare

the two but I have been following the development of octave and it

seems to be in good hands.
** Nice to hear that octave is in good hands, but did you look into R?
R has full set of matrix functionality, is fast, and under rapid development.

Kjetil
*