Old 04-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Rares Aioanei

Default How to boot PC-BSD from Debian

On 04/01/2012 08:27 AM, Weaver wrote:

[snip]
I had some trouble with this myself and tried all sorts of things.
Grub2 wouldn't find it.
I tried GAG:

http://gag.sourceforge.net/

...which is very good and detects everything, but would only boot PC-BSD.

The only thing I haven't tried is something somebody suggested had worked
for them on another forum, and that was to downgrade to Grub-Legacy.
Apparently that works.
This I haven't tried, so I give no guarantee.
Regards,

Weaver

I booted FreeBSD from Debian's GRUB2 with no problem, also NetBSD. If
you still need the link, let me know.

--
Rares Aioanei

Archive: 4F78587B.8070108@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F78587B.8070108@gmail.com

Old 04-02-2012, 09:48 AM
"Weaver"

> On 04/01/2012 08:27 AM, Weaver wrote:
>> [snip]
>> I had some trouble with this myself and tried all sorts of things.
>> Grub2 wouldn't find it.
>> I tried GAG:
>>
>> http://gag.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> ...which is very good and detects everything, but would only boot
>> PC-BSD.
>>
>> The only thing I haven't tried is something somebody suggested had
>> worked
>> for them on another forum, and that was to downgrade to Grub-Legacy.
>> Apparently that works.
>> This I haven't tried, so I give no guarantee.
>> Regards,
>>
>> Weaver
>>
> I booted FreeBSD from Debian's GRUB2 with no problem, also NetBSD. If
> you still need the link, let me know.

Definitely!
And thanks.
I had PC-BSD installed for a while and the entire house felt as though it
was built around it, it was that solid.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Chris Bannister

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 02:48:05AM -0700, Weaver wrote:
[attribution snipped!!!]
> > I booted FreeBSD from Debian's GRUB2 with no problem, also NetBSD. If
> > you still need the link, let me know.
>
> Definitely!
> And thanks.
> I had PC-BSD installed for a while and the entire house felt as though it
> was built around it, it was that solid.

This may help to get the grub specifics:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2011/09/13/msg009133.html

Works for me, but I had to change it to "set root=(hd0,msdos5)"
for my setup.

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 04-07-2012, 12:27 PM
"Weaver"

> On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 02:48:05AM -0700, Weaver wrote:
> [attribution snipped!!!]
>> > I booted FreeBSD from Debian's GRUB2 with no problem, also NetBSD. If
>> > you still need the link, let me know.
>>
>> Definitely!
>> And thanks.
>> I had PC-BSD installed for a while and the entire house felt as though
>> it
>> was built around it, it was that solid.
>
> This may help to get the grub specifics:
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2011/09/13/msg009133.html
>
> Works for me, but I had to change it to "set root=(hd0,msdos5)"
> for my setup.

Thanks for this, Chris!

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.