Old 03-31-2012, 10:19 PM
Lisi

Default Installing genesys on Debian - lateral thinking time?

Is there some scanner software other than SANE I can try? What do people
think of Vuescan?

The really sad thing about all this is that it works in Ubuntu 11.10 Unity on
a live CD. The CD was sloooooowwwwwwwww, but once it had loaded, I could
scan with my LiDE 110. The most recent Knoppix, by contrast, also from the
end of last year, loaded quite fast - but Xsane couldn't see my scanner.

So I could perhaps load 11.10 as a dual boot on my netbook and do all my
scanning from there. But I would prefer a Debian solution. Install Wheezy
as a dual boot?

Suggestions welcomed - so long as they don't entail throwing the wretched LiDE
110 in the nearest lake - not that I would be able to find one with any water
in it. (Sorry, this is an international list and that was a local reference.
I live in the south of England and - incredibly - we have a drought.)

Thanks,
Lisi

Old 04-01-2012, 02:02 AM
ntrfug

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 23:19:12 +0100
Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Suggestions welcomed - so long as they don't entail throwing the
> wretched LiDE 110 in the nearest lake - not that I would be able to
> find one with any water in it. (Sorry, this is an international list
> and that was a local reference. I live in the south of England and -
> incredibly - we have a drought.)

Install VirtualBox, and create a virtual machine for a system that
supports your scanner. Don't use the packages from Debian, as they are
for a version of VirtualBox that does not support USB devices.

When you are able to scan using your primary system, delete the virtual
machine.

If you're like me you'll find other uses for virtual machines once you
are accustomed to working with them.

(I use a VM to run Windows in a window, as G*d intended.) Marin3r

Old 04-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Keith McKenzie

The really sad thing about all this is that it works in Ubuntu 11.10 Unity on
a live CD. The CD was sloooooowwwwwwwww, but once it had loaded, I could
scan with my LiDE 110.
I think I would check out exactly what Ubuntu is using; after all it is
based on Debian.

Keith