-   -   Unable to mount external USB devices -- Wheezy KDE (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/651201-unable-mount-external-usb-devices-wheezy-kde.html)

ntrfug 03-31-2012 04:59 PM

Unable to mount external USB devices -- Wheezy KDE

For years I have been able to use external hard drives and thumb drives
on my systems, but not since I installed Wheezy.

I get the following on inserting a SanDisk thumb drive:

"The requested operation has failed.: Error mounting: mount exited with
exit code 1: helper failed with: Unprivileged user can not mount NTFS
block devices using the external FUSE library. Either mount the volume
as root, or rebuild NTFS-3G with integrated FUSE support and make it
setuid root. Please see more information at
http://tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-faq/#unprivileged"

I certainly hope there is another solution besides rebuilding packages.
I want to be able to read/write/transfer files as my normal user.

In K->Settings->System Settings->Removable Devices I checked "Enable
automatic mounting of removable media", "Mount all removable media at
login", and "Automatically mount removable media when attached".

In the Attached Devices list of that dialog, "SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro"
is listed and "Automount on attach is checked.

The problem is not limited to devices with NTFS file systems; I can't
mount ext2 or ReiserFS devices either.

Camaleón 03-31-2012 05:22 PM

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:59:42 -0500, ntrfug wrote:

> For years I have been able to use external hard drives and thumb drives
> on my systems, but not since I installed Wheezy.
>
> I get the following on inserting a SanDisk thumb drive:
>
> "The requested operation has failed.: Error mounting: mount exited with
> exit code 1: helper failed with: Unprivileged user can not mount NTFS
> block devices using the external FUSE library. Either mount the volume
> as root, or rebuild NTFS-3G with integrated FUSE support and make it
> setuid root. Please see more information at
> http://tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-faq/#unprivileged"

(...)

Bug?

> The problem is not limited to devices with NTFS file systems; I can't
> mount ext2 or ReiserFS devices either.

Mmm, that sounds even weirder :-)

Can you post the error message you get when mounting a device with ext2
or reiserfs format?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Kevin McKinley 03-31-2012 05:42 PM

Unable to mount external USB devices -- Wheezy KDE

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 17:22:59 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you post the error message you get when mounting a device with
> ext2 or reiserfs format?

The error message is the same when trying to mount a reiserfs device.
My recollection is that it's the same for ext2 as well, and I can
confirm that later today.

Kevin

Kevin McKinley 03-31-2012 05:47 PM

Unable to mount external USB devices -- Wheezy KDE

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 17:22:59 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you post the error message you get when mounting a device with
> ext2 or reiserfs format?

My external hard drives are elsewhere, but one of my thumb drives is
formatted ext2. I get the same message trying to mount it.

Kevin

Andrei POPESCU 04-01-2012 10:15 AM

On Sb, 31 mar 12, 12:47:07, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 17:22:59 +0000 (UTC)
> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Can you post the error message you get when mounting a device with
> > ext2 or reiserfs format?
>
> My external hard drives are elsewhere, but one of my thumb drives is
> formatted ext2. I get the same message trying to mount it.

Just for confirmation, you get a message telling you to rebuild ntfs-3g
when the filesystem is ext2? Can you show us the relevant part of
/var/log/syslog when you plug the thumb drive? ('tail -f' helps here).

Kind regards,
Andrei