Old 03-31-2012, 09:16 AM
Camaleón

Default How to boot PC-BSD from Debian (was: Query about hard drive partitions maintenance)

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:51:05 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> so I believe that, in the circumstances, I have to abandon the
>>> prospect of installing PC-BSD 9 on this computer.
>>
>> I already pointed out some alternatives and Keith told you about
>> virtualization which can be also another possibility, at least to test
>> the PC-BSD 9 inners :-)
>>

> I appear to have successfully more or less installed PC-BSD 9 on a
> laptop computer; an HP/Compaq NX5000 with 2GB RAM, which has Debian
> Linux 6.03 as the only other operating system (and only other primary
> partition, apart from the Extended partition), but, to run it, I have to
> figure out how to get GRUB to find it.

You can let "os-prober" to find it or manually adding a new entry for
booting PC-BSD from Debian's GRUB2 menu.

More tips here:

http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Dual_Booting

> I have not been able to find how to get GRUB to find the PC-BSD 9
> installation, as yet. But, that is another issue, and, a bit of a
> different topic.

Yes, it would be better to open a new thread for that :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-01-2012, 05:27 AM
"Weaver"

> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:51:05 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012, Camaleón wrote:
>
> (...)

I had some trouble with this myself and tried all sorts of things.
Grub2 wouldn't find it.
I tried GAG:

http://gag.sourceforge.net/

...which is very good and detects everything, but would only boot PC-BSD.

The only thing I haven't tried is something somebody suggested had worked
for them on another forum, and that was to downgrade to Grub-Legacy.
Apparently that works.
This I haven't tried, so I give no guarantee.
Regards,

Weaver

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 22:27:07 -0700, Weaver wrote:

>> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:51:05 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> (...)

> I had some trouble with this myself and tried all sorts of things. Grub2
> wouldn't find it.

You may have missed something because GRUB2 is more than capable of
booting it.

> I tried GAG:
>
> http://gag.sourceforge.net/
>
> ...which is very good and detects everything, but would only boot
> PC-BSD.

Maybe because some sort of incompatibility between GAG and GRUB2.

> The only thing I haven't tried is something somebody suggested had
> worked for them on another forum, and that was to downgrade to
> Grub-Legacy. Apparently that works.
> This I haven't tried, so I give no guarantee. Regards,

That can be seen as a workaround but remember that GRUB Legacy is not
being developed anymore. Using GRUB2 (or another supported bootloader)
should be the way to go.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón