Old 03-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Miles Fidelman

Default Posting styles

Paul Johnson wrote:

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Camaleón<noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 18:25:42 +0300, Mika Suomalainen wrote:

Could someone explain me, what are "top- and bottom posting" styles?

Though it's generally ideal to go with a conversational style,
inserting new text within the quoted material for context. Top
posting almost never meets this, bottom posting only works when the
post you're responding to is very short. Like this.

I'll echo this one. Particularly when a thread gets long (as when
trying to debug a problem).

It gets very difficult to follow a thread when either:
- there's no context kept in a message (you have to go back and sort
through previous messages)

- some people top post, some people bottom post, some people interleave

Really helps when there's a generally agreed upon convention for a list,
and when people quote selectively.

Just one man's opinion, of course.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra