Old 03-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Camaleón

Default Posting styles (was: printer Kyocera FSC-5100DN)

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 18:25:42 +0300, Mika Suomalainen wrote:

> Could someone explain me, what are "top- and bottom posting" styles?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Paul Johnson

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 18:25:42 +0300, Mika Suomalainen wrote:
>
>> Could someone explain me, what are "top- and bottom posting" styles?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

Though it's generally ideal to go with a conversational style,
inserting new text within the quoted material for context. Top
posting almost never meets this, bottom posting only works when the
post you're responding to is very short. Like this.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Lisi

On Friday 30 March 2012 16:34:54 Paul Johnson wrote:
> Though it's generally ideal to go with a conversational style,
> inserting new text within the quoted material for context. *Top
> posting almost never meets this, bottom posting only works when the
> post you're responding to is very short.

So use interleaving. Which is much the best. I find top-posting impossible
to follow. And trim!!!

Lisi

Old 03-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 08:34:54 -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 18:25:42 +0300, Mika Suomalainen wrote:
>>
>>> Could someone explain me, what are "top- and bottom posting" styles?
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
>
> Though it's generally ideal to go with a conversational style, inserting
> new text within the quoted material for context. Top posting almost
> never meets this, bottom posting only works when the post you're
> responding to is very short. Like this.

Bottom posting has been since long the preferred method for newsgroups
and then mailing lists but not for forums nor business communications.

A bottom posting style does not mean "all the stuff goes to the bottom"
but put in chunks between context, replying inline, as Wikipedia article
says ("interleaved style").

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Chris Bannister

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 04:03:05PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> Bottom posting has been since long the preferred method for newsgroups
> and then mailing lists but not for forums nor business communications.
>
> A bottom posting style does not mean "all the stuff goes to the bottom"

Yes it does! That is what bottom posting is.

> but put in chunks between context, replying inline, as Wikipedia article
> says ("interleaved style").

There is also "conversation style" or "interleaved style" which is the
tried and proven preferred way for mailing lists; i.e the style you and
many others use.

If I was using "bottom posting" I'd have just dumped everything at the
bottom regardless.

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 04-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 06:11:19 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 04:03:05PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> Bottom posting has been since long the preferred method for newsgroups
>> and then mailing lists but not for forums nor business communications.
>>
>> A bottom posting style does not mean "all the stuff goes to the bottom"
>
> Yes it does! That is what bottom posting is.

No sir, is just the name what is misleading. "Bottom posting" also
applies for an inline style. Regardless its name, the main idea remains
the same: the reply goes below of the text you are responding.

>> but put in chunks between context, replying inline, as Wikipedia
>> article says ("interleaved style").
>
> There is also "conversation style" or "interleaved style" which is the
> tried and proven preferred way for mailing lists; i.e the style you and
> many others use.

(...)

That's also bottom posting ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-08-2012, 03:47 AM
Chris Bannister

On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 02:58:24PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 06:11:19 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 04:03:05PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> >> Bottom posting has been since long the preferred method for newsgroups
> >> and then mailing lists but not for forums nor business communications.
> >>
> >> A bottom posting style does not mean "all the stuff goes to the bottom"
> >
> > Yes it does! That is what bottom posting is.
>
> No sir, is just the name what is misleading. "Bottom posting" also
> applies for an inline style. Regardless its name, the main idea remains
> the same: the reply goes below of the text you are responding.

So what's it called when you plonk everything at the bottom, oops sorry,
at the very end? End posting?

> > There is also "conversation style" or "interleaved style" which is the
> > tried and proven preferred way for mailing lists; i.e the style you and
> > many others use.
>
> That's also bottom posting ;-)

No, you are confused. There are three entirely different distinct styles:
1) Top posting
2) Bottom posting
3) Interleaved, inline, conversation. style.

Therefore, it makes sense to have *THREE* different definitions.
correct?

Since top posting means posting *everything* at the top, then the
opposite is? ... Correct! posting *everything* at the bottom!
That covers 1) and 2) And everything else seems to fit in with 3).

Unfortunately, if you have loose definitions which can be used depending
on the whim of the moment you have, ... well, ... imagine if everyone was
called Bruce¹ (visual accompanyment²).

¹http://www.ibras.dk/montypython/episode22.htm#2
²http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA
³http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1MgCV6uGuc

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 04-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 15:47:51 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

>> > Yes it does! That is what bottom posting is.
>>
>> No sir, is just the name what is misleading. "Bottom posting" also
>> applies for an inline style. Regardless its name, the main idea remains
>> the same: the reply goes below of the text you are responding.
>
> So what's it called when you plonk everything at the bottom, oops sorry,
> at the very end? End posting?

That's also "bottom posting". No need to reinvent the wheel all the time.

>> > There is also "conversation style" or "interleaved style" which is
>> > the tried and proven preferred way for mailing lists; i.e the style
>> > you and many others use.
>>
>> That's also bottom posting ;-)
>
> No, you are confused.

(...)

That's *your* own interpretation of a well-defined well-known concept and
of course, *you* can call them as you wish. I prefer to stick to what
everybody else understand for it, which BTW, has been referenced in this
same thread (by me), in a form of link to Wikipedia article about this
issue:

***
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Bottom-posting

In the "bottom-posting" style, the reply is appended to a full or partial
copy of the original message. The name bottom-posting is sometimes used
for inline-style replies, and indeed the two formats are the same when
only one point is being replied to.
***

> Therefore, it makes sense to have *THREE* different definitions.
> correct?

(...)

Not at all when two of them (inline and bottom posting) share 99% of
their features. Feel free to edit the Wikipedia article to match your own
opinion ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Indulekha

In linux.debian.user, Chris Bannister wrote:

> No, you are confused. There are three entirely different distinct styles:
> 1) Top posting
> 2) Bottom posting
> 3) Interleaved, inline, conversation. style.
>
> Therefore, it makes sense to have *THREE* different definitions.
> correct?

There are only two styles, really: rational and lazy.
Call them what you wish, subdivide them if you like,
but in reality there is only *one* correct way to post.
The term "interleaved" makes sense, but is redundant as
it's been called "bottom posting" since the dawn of email
and usenet -- and it's generally understood by the everyone
who has a clue that doing it properly usually results in an
interleaved conversation. It isn't exactly rocket science!

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 04-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Chris Bannister

But you said above, and I quote:

'A bottom posting style does not mean "all the stuff goes to the bottom"

and now you are saying in response to

"So what's it called when you plonk everything at the bottom, oops
sorry, at the very end? End posting?"

That's also "bottom posting".

Huh??

But wait, there is more: