Old 03-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Leonard Le-Rey

Default printer Kyocera FSC-5100DN

Hey guys,

Debian testing (wheezy) has recognized the network printer Kyocera
FSC-5100DN correctly, I have first taken the driver offered by Debian
and then the one offered by Kyocera. If I print I standard text
document created for eg. by Libre Office, it works fine. If I want to
print a PDF produced by pdfLaTex, it might print one page but if I
print a larger amount, I get the following printout error message:

ERROR:
undefined
OFFENDING COMMAND:
STACK:
--nostringval--
133

and nothing is printed anymore. KPDL is put on AUTO and I have to say,
that in Ubuntu 11.10, the printer is recognized as well and the native
Ubuntu driver has been install. On this computer, printing of the same
document works without any problems. I can print the docs only if I
generate PS files. Furthermore, I have to mention that there was once
some problem on Ubuntu systems wich might be related:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/foomatic-db/+bug/442451

Attached a PDF where this problem appears. Is there a way to take the
Ubuntu PPD file? And if, how I get it to try on the Debian system?

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2012, 02:46 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 16:29:40 +0200, Leonard Le-Rey wrote:

> Debian testing (wheezy) has recognized the network printer Kyocera
> FSC-5100DN correctly, I have first taken the driver offered by Debian
> and then the one offered by Kyocera. If I print I standard text document
> created for eg. by Libre Office, it works fine. If I want to print a PDF
> produced by pdfLaTex, it might print one page but if I print a larger
> amount, I get the following printout error message:
>
> ERROR:
> undefined
> OFFENDING COMMAND:
> STACK:
> --nostringval--
> 133

(...)

Mmmm, how about using a different printer driver?

Different drivers give different results as they interpret PostScript
files in their "own" way. That say, you could try with (in order of
preference): Postscript-Kyocera, Generic PS, PCL6. You can add as many
printer instances as drivers you want to test :-)

> and nothing is printed anymore.

What's now the status of the printer? Maybe you have to "enable" it
again, AFAIK, the default printer policy is to put the printer in "stop"
mode after any error.

> Attached a PDF where this problem appears.

Can't see it :-?

> Is there a way to take the Ubuntu PPD file? And if, how I get it to try
> on the Debian system?

Yes, just copy/paste from one computer to the other but this will solve
the problem only if the error resides inside the PPD file and not in the
cups package itself.

P.S. Worth noting that there are some issues with cups in wheezy for a
set of PS printers.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Leonard Le-Rey

okay, this is one way to take another driver, but often also offering
less printing possibilities (for. eg duplex or so). Attached the file,
sorry Ah I see, so if it is in cups, I could probably report a
bug.. but anyway, in Ubuntu it works but does not get back to Debian

After the error, I just can print further with any computer connected
to it.. that's no problem. I mean the printer itself seems not to have
problems..

So, about copying and trying the ubuntu driver, I mean practically,
where do I find this on the Ubuntu system: I have searched for PPD but
did not find something proper...

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Allan Wind

On 2012-03-30 16:29:40, Leonard Le-Rey wrote:
> If I want to
> print a PDF produced by pdfLaTex, it might print one page but if I
> print a larger amount, I get the following printout error message:
>
> ERROR:
> undefined
> OFFENDING COMMAND:
> STACK:
> --nostringval--
> 133
>
> and nothing is printed anymore.

Does the printer actually support PDF input, or do you have a
filter in place that concerts them to postscript? pdf2ps might
come handy. If the printer indeed supports PDF input, then
I would suggest you install the latest firmware so you don't
spend time troubleshooting old issues.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC

Old 03-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 16:53:24 +0200, Leonard Le-Rey wrote:

(pelase, keep a bottom-posting style, thanks :-) )

> 2012/3/30 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:

(...)

>>> Is there a way to take the Ubuntu PPD file? And if, how I get it to
>>> try on the Debian system?
>>
>> Yes, just copy/paste from one computer to the other but this will solve
>> the problem only if the error resides inside the PPD file and not in
>> the cups package itself.
>>
>> P.S. Worth noting that there are some issues with cups in wheezy for a
>> set of PS printers.

> okay, this is one way to take another driver, but often also offering
> less printing possibilities (for. eg duplex or so). Attached the file,
> sorry Ah I see, so if it is in cups, I could probably report a bug..
> but anyway, in Ubuntu it works but does not get back to Debian

Well, that's the goal. Trying a different driver is not to be a permanent
solution but just for testing purposes to demonstrate where the problem
resides (PPD file and not the whole cups package).

> After the error, I just can print further with any computer connected to
> it.. that's no problem. I mean the printer itself seems not to have
> problems..

Okay, that means the printer has been auto-re-engaged again, good.

> So, about copying and trying the ubuntu driver,

The first I would try is getting the most updated PPD file from Kyocera
(this one says "PSVersion: (3011.103) 1" which seems the latest available).

http://www.openprinting.org/ppd-o-matic.php?driver=Postscript-Kyocera&printer=Kyocera-FS-C5100DN_KPDL&show=0

Or look into Kyocera's site, juts in case:

http://usa.kyoceramita.com/americas/jsp/Kyocera/download_center.jsp?pid=19588&pcat=10563&rcid=1000 9&rscid=10007#bottom

> I mean practically, where do I find this on the Ubuntu system: I have
> searched for PPD but did not find something proper...

"locate *.ppd" will tell you where those files are though they're usually
go under "/usr/share/ppd/...".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Mika Suomalainen

Could someone explain me, what are "top- and bottom posting" styles?

On 30.03.2012 18:21, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 16:53:24 +0200, Leonard Le-Rey wrote:
>
> (pelase, keep a bottom-posting style, thanks :-) )
>
>> 2012/3/30 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:
>
> (...)

>>> Yes, just copy/paste from one computer to the other but this
>>> will solve the problem only if the error resides inside the
>>> PPD file and not in the cups package itself.
>>>
>>> P.S. Worth noting that there are some issues with cups in
>>> wheezy for a set of PS printers.
>
>> okay, this is one way to take another driver, but often also
>> offering less printing possibilities (for. eg duplex or so).
>> Attached the file, sorry Ah I see, so if it is in cups, I
>> could probably report a bug.. but anyway, in Ubuntu it works but
>> does not get back to Debian
>
> Well, that's the goal. Trying a different driver is not to be a
> permanent solution but just for testing purposes to demonstrate
> where the problem resides (PPD file and not the whole cups
> package).
>
>> After the error, I just can print further with any computer
>> connected to it.. that's no problem. I mean the printer itself
>> seems not to have problems..
>
> Okay, that means the printer has been auto-re-engaged again, good.
>
>> So, about copying and trying the ubuntu driver,
>
> The first I would try is getting the most updated PPD file from
> Kyocera (this one says "PSVersion: (3011.103) 1" which seems the
> latest available).
>
> http://www.openprinting.org/ppd-o-matic.php?driver=Postscript-Kyocera&printer=Kyocera-FS-C5100DN_KPDL&show=0

Or look into Kyocera's site, juts in case:

> http://usa.kyoceramita.com/americas/jsp/Kyocera/download_center.jsp?pid=19588&pcat=10563&rcid=1000 9&rscid=10007#bottom
>

>> I mean practically, where do I find this on the Ubuntu system: I
>> have searched for PPD but did not find something proper...
>
> "locate *.ppd" will tell you where those files are though they're
> usually go under "/usr/share/ppd/...".
>
> Greetings,

- --
Mika Suomalainen

Old 03-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Brian

On Fri 30 Mar 2012 at 16:29:40 +0200, Leonard Le-Rey wrote:

> Debian testing (wheezy) has recognized the network printer Kyocera
> FSC-5100DN correctly, I have first taken the driver offered by Debian
> and then the one offered by Kyocera. If I print I standard text
> document created for eg. by Libre Office, it works fine. If I want to
> print a PDF produced by pdfLaTex, it might print one page but if I
> print a larger amount, I get the following printout error message:
>
> ERROR:
> undefined
> OFFENDING COMMAND:
> STACK:
> --nostringval--
> 133

The reported bugs against the cups-filters package might interest you
sufficiently to see where you get if you installed the version in
unstable. Reading the changelog is advisable.

> and nothing is printed anymore. KPDL is put on AUTO and I have to say,
> that in Ubuntu 11.10, the printer is recognized as well and the native
> Ubuntu driver has been install. On this computer, printing of the same
> document works without any problems. I can print the docs only if I
> generate PS files. Furthermore, I have to mention that there was once
> some problem on Ubuntu systems wich might be related:

CUPS in Ubuntu 11.10 is different from CUPS in Wheezy in ways which do
not involve PPD files.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/foomatic-db/+bug/442451
>
> Attached a PDF where this problem appears. Is there a way to take the
> Ubuntu PPD file? And if, how I get it to try on the Debian system?

The PDF file is unlikely to be the problem.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Leonard Le-Rey

2012/3/30 Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk>:
> On Fri 30 Mar 2012 at 16:29:40 +0200, Leonard Le-Rey wrote:
>
>> Debian testing (wheezy) has recognized the network printer Kyocera
>> FSC-5100DN correctly, I have first taken the driver offered by Debian
>> and then the one offered by Kyocera. If I print I standard text
>> document created for eg. by Libre Office, it works fine. If I want to
>> print a PDF produced by pdfLaTex, it might print one page but if I
>> print a larger amount, I get the following printout error message:
>>
>> ERROR:
>> undefined
>> OFFENDING COMMAND:
>> STACK:
>> --nostringval--
>> 133
>
> The reported bugs against the cups-filters package might interest you
> sufficiently to see where you get if you installed the version in
> unstable. Reading the changelog is advisable.
>
>> and nothing is printed anymore. KPDL is put on AUTO and I have to say,
>> that in Ubuntu 11.10, the printer is recognized as well and the native
>> Ubuntu driver has been install. On this computer, printing of the same
>> document works without any problems. I can print the docs only if I
>> generate PS files. Furthermore, I have to mention that there was once
>> some problem on Ubuntu systems wich might be related:
>
> CUPS in Ubuntu 11.10 is different from CUPS in Wheezy in ways which do
> not involve PPD files.
>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/foomatic-db/+bug/442451
>>
>> Attached a PDF where this problem appears. Is there a way to take the
>> Ubuntu PPD file? And if, how I get it to try on the Debian system?
>
> The PDF file is unlikely to be the problem.

It is obviously not a driver problem, as the driver from Kyocera is
the most recent and works fine on other systems (such as Ubuntu
11.10). So as you suggested, it is the cups which is affected - as
reported by others. Hence I will have a look there (some took the cups
from Ubuntu 11.10). Here the content of my /var/log/cups/error_log

W [30/Mar/2012:11:03:41 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-Gray..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:11:03:41 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-RGB..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:11:03:41 +0200] failed to CreateDevice:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:device id
'cups-Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:11:03:41 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-Gray..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:11:03:41 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-RGB..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:11:03:41 +0200] failed to CreateDevice:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:device id
'cups-Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:12:49:22 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-Gray..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:12:49:22 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-RGB..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:12:49:22 +0200] failed to CreateDevice:
[...]
W [30/Mar/2012:12:54:10 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-Gray..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:12:54:10 +0200] failed to CreateDevice:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:device id
'cups-Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:12:54:10 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-Gray..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:12:54:10 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-CMYK..' already exists
[...]
W [30/Mar/2012:12:56:35 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-Gray..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:12:56:35 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-CMYK..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:12:56:35 +0200] failed to CreateDevice:
[...]
E [30/Mar/2012:14:57:24 +0200] Avahi client failed, closing client to
allow a clean restart
W [30/Mar/2012:14:58:04 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-Gray..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:14:58:04 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-CMYK..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:14:58:04 +0200] failed to CreateDevice:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:device id
'cups-Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:15:12:38 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-Gray..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:15:12:38 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-CMYK..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:15:12:38 +0200] failed to CreateDevice:
[...]
W [30/Mar/2012:15:13:38 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-Gray..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:15:13:38 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-CMYK..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:15:13:38 +0200] failed to CreateDevice:
[...]
E [30/Mar/2012:15:13:49 +0200] [Job 24] PDF file is damaged -
attempting to reconstruct xref table...
E [30/Mar/2012:15:15:18 +0200] [Job 25] Invalid printer command "Clean"!
E [30/Mar/2012:15:15:18 +0200] [Job 27] PDF file is damaged -
attempting to reconstruct xref table...
W [30/Mar/2012:15:16:48 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-Gray..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:15:16:48 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-CMYK..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:15:16:48 +0200] failed to CreateDevice:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:device id
'cups-Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:15:16:48 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-Gray..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:15:16:48 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-CMYK..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:15:16:48 +0200] failed to CreateDevice:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:device id
'cups-Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:15:16:49 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-Gray..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:15:16:49 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-CMYK..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:15:16:49 +0200] failed to CreateDevice:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:device id
'cups-Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:15:16:49 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-Gray..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:15:16:49 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-CMYK..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:15:16:49 +0200] failed to CreateDevice:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:device id
'cups-Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL' already exists
E [30/Mar/2012:15:16:59 +0200] [Job 29] PDF file is damaged -
attempting to reconstruct xref table...
W [30/Mar/2012:16:12:40 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-Gray..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:16:12:40 +0200] failed to CreateDevice:
[...]
E [30/Mar/2012:16:12:47 +0200] [Job 36] PDF file is damaged -
attempting to reconstruct xref table...
W [30/Mar/2012:16:13:10 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-Gray..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:16:13:10 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-RGB..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:16:13:10 +0200] failed to CreateDevice:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:device id
'cups-Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:16:13:10 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-Gray..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:16:13:10 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-RGB..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:16:13:10 +0200] failed to CreateDevice:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:device id
'cups-Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL' already exists
E [30/Mar/2012:16:13:44 +0200] Avahi client failed, closing client to
allow a clean restart
W [30/Mar/2012:16:14:24 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-Gray..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:16:14:24 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-RGB..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:16:14:24 +0200] failed to CreateDevice:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:device id
'cups-Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL' already exists
E [30/Mar/2012:16:14:24 +0200] [Job 36] PDF file is damaged -
attempting to reconstruct xref table...
E [30/Mar/2012:16:34:40 +0200] Avahi client failed, closing client to
allow a clean restart
W [30/Mar/2012:16:35:21 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-Gray..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:16:35:21 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL-RGB..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:16:35:21 +0200] failed to CreateDevice:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:device id
'cups-Kyocera-Mita-FS-C5100DN-KPDL' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:17:02:18 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Generic-PCL-6-PCL-XL-Gray..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:17:02:18 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Generic-PCL-6-PCL-XL-RGB..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:17:02:18 +0200] failed to CreateDevice:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:device id
'cups-Generic-PCL-6-PCL-XL' already exists
[...]
W [30/Mar/2012:19:03:18 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Generic-PCL-6-PCL-XL-Gray..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:19:03:18 +0200] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id
'Generic-PCL-6-PCL-XL-RGB..' already exists
W [30/Mar/2012:19:03:18 +0200] failed to CreateDevice:

Old 03-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Brian

On Fri 30 Mar 2012 at 20:00:23 +0200, Leonard Le-Rey wrote:

> It is obviously not a driver problem, as the driver from Kyocera is
> the most recent and works fine on other systems (such as Ubuntu
> 11.10). So as you suggested, it is the cups which is affected - as
> reported by others. Hence I will have a look there (some took the cups
> from Ubuntu 11.10).

Is it CUPS or is it the printer? That is the question.

A way to explore this is:

1. Download cups-filters from unstable.

2. Open the package and go to the README and follow the instructions
which begin with the words 'To extract the Postscript output for'.
The PPD file is the one you have for your printer in /etc/cups/ppd.

3. Install the gv package. As root, 'chmod 777 /tmp/printout'. As a
user 'gv /tmp/printout'.

Post the output of 'ls -l /tmp/printout, and say what happens when you
attempt to open the file with gv.

> Here the content of my /var/log/cups/error_log

There doesn't appear to be anything of great consequence in it.

> E [30/Mar/2012:15:13:49 +0200] [Job 24] PDF file is damaged -
> attempting to reconstruct xref table...

Ghostscript will probably repair the xref table but use another PDF for
your tests if you feel uneasy about it.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:04 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 20:00:23 +0200, Leonard Le-Rey wrote:

> 2012/3/30 Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk>:

(...)

>> The PDF file is unlikely to be the problem.
>>
> It is obviously not a driver problem, as the driver from Kyocera is the
> most recent and works fine on other systems (such as Ubuntu 11.10).

(...)

You can't know unless you try with a different driver (either generic PS
or PCL6) ;-)

You can also try to print a different PDF file with the usual PPD to
discard a problem in the pdfLaTex generated file. With a bit of luck
you'll be able to find a failure pattern.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón