Old 03-30-2012, 12:01 PM
"John A. Sullivan III"

Default sharing desktop on debian - freenx?

On Fri, 2012-03-30 at 11:49 +0200, Alberto Fuentes wrote:
> Ive seen that the most optimal sharing desktop is freenx but i
> "aptsearched" (new verb guys! if i can google something i can certanly
> aptsearch as well freenx does not give any result back on
> repositories. Searching freenx and debian in the internet give guides
> ranging from 3 to 6 years old.
>
> I know lots of people here can handle just fine without sharing desktop,
> but when you give remote support over the net is a must, and vnc does
> not cut it over the internet on low bandwidth links.
>
> Since its so hard to install anything like this from repositories, I
> think im not moving towards the more popular and tested solution. Are
> you people using freenx or is there any other implementation/protocol i
> dont know of?

<snip>
I would strongly suggest looking at X2Go - also NX based. It is a
relatively young progress but has been making significant progress over
the last year - www.x2go.org and wiki.x2go.org. I think you'll be
pleasantly surprised - John

Old 03-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Jon Dowland

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 08:01:30AM -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> I would strongly suggest looking at X2Go - also NX based. It is a
> relatively young progress but has been making significant progress over
> the last year - www.x2go.org and wiki.x2go.org. I think you'll be
> pleasantly surprised - John

>From my limited understanding of the situation, the original NX is a bit
of a nightmare to package (very messy collection of scripts and technologies)
and the x2go people are gradually unwinding and resolving this. There was
a recent discussion about attempting to package x2go in Debian on the
development mailing list. I think it will happen one day, but perhaps not
before more clean-up has taken place.

Another technology worth a look (not sure of situation wrt packages in Debian)
is 'SPICE', being developed by Red Hat: http://www.spicespace.org/

Old 03-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Freitag, 30. März 2012 schrieb John A. Sullivan III:
> On Fri, 2012-03-30 at 11:49 +0200, Alberto Fuentes wrote:
> > Ive seen that the most optimal sharing desktop is freenx but i
> > "aptsearched" (new verb guys! if i can google something i can
> > certanly aptsearch as well freenx does not give any result back
> > on repositories. Searching freenx and debian in the internet give
> > guides ranging from 3 to 6 years old.
> >
> > I know lots of people here can handle just fine without sharing
> > desktop, but when you give remote support over the net is a must,
> > and vnc does not cut it over the internet on low bandwidth links.
> >
> > Since its so hard to install anything like this from repositories, I
> > think im not moving towards the more popular and tested solution. Are
> > you people using freenx or is there any other implementation/protocol
> > i dont know of?
>
> <snip>
> I would strongly suggest looking at X2Go - also NX based. It is a
> relatively young progress but has been making significant progress over
> the last year - www.x2go.org and wiki.x2go.org. I think you'll be
> pleasantly surprised - John

Yes. The client and mozille client plugin are even available in Debian´s
standard repositories for Wheezy/Sid.

I installed FreeNX once. It basically worked, but it was quite difficult to
maintain and I had to adapt way more than is necessary when I today just
install X2go and be done with it - for simple cases at least. LDAP
integration, PostgreSQL and stuff needs some manual work that is
documented.

Ciao,

Old 03-30-2012, 03:32 PM
"John A. Sullivan III"

On Fri, 2012-03-30 at 13:45 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 08:01:30AM -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> > I would strongly suggest looking at X2Go - also NX based. It is a
> > relatively young progress but has been making significant progress over
> > the last year - www.x2go.org and wiki.x2go.org. I think you'll be
> > pleasantly surprised - John
>
> >From my limited understanding of the situation, the original NX is a bit
> of a nightmare to package (very messy collection of scripts and technologies)
> and the x2go people are gradually unwinding and resolving this. There was
> a recent discussion about attempting to package x2go in Debian on the
> development mailing list. I think it will happen one day, but perhaps not
> before more clean-up has taken place.
>
> Another technology worth a look (not sure of situation wrt packages in Debian)
> is 'SPICE', being developed by Red Hat: http://www.spicespace.org/

Yes, SPICE has excellent potential. It is still in very heavy
development and has some serious holes. It also is still not quite as
fast as NX on WAN links. Nonetheless, we are watching the technology
very seriously - John

Old 03-31-2012, 02:57 AM
"Christofer C. Bell"

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 4:49 AM, Alberto Fuentes
<alberto.fuentes@qindel.com> wrote:
> Ive seen that the most optimal sharing desktop is freenx but i "aptsearched"
> (new verb guys! if i can google something i can certanly aptsearch as well
> freenx does not give any result back on repositories. Searching freenx
> and debian in the internet give guides ranging from 3 to 6 years old.

xrdp is in Squeeze and Microsoft Terminal Client is all you need to
connect (meaning from Microsoft themselves or something like tsclient
on Linux, which is also in Squeeze).

--
Chris

Old 03-31-2012, 03:14 AM
"John A. Sullivan III"

On Fri, 2012-03-30 at 21:57 -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 4:49 AM, Alberto Fuentes
> <alberto.fuentes@qindel.com> wrote:
> > Ive seen that the most optimal sharing desktop is freenx but i "aptsearched"
> > (new verb guys! if i can google something i can certanly aptsearch as well
> > freenx does not give any result back on repositories. Searching freenx
> > and debian in the internet give guides ranging from 3 to 6 years old.
>
> xrdp is in Squeeze and Microsoft Terminal Client is all you need to
> connect (meaning from Microsoft themselves or something like tsclient
> on Linux, which is also in Squeeze).
>
> --
> Chris

Yes but doesn't xrdp rely upon VNC and thus have the same performance
issues as VNC? I would be delighted to be wrong. RDP on Windows has
show remarkable improvement with versions 6 and 7 to the point that it
is almost as responsive as NX but I do not think xrdp takes advantage of
that - John

Old 03-31-2012, 03:38 AM
"Christofer C. Bell"

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM, John A. Sullivan III
<jsullivan@opensourcedevel.com> wrote:

> Yes but doesn't xrdp rely upon VNC and thus have the same performance
> issues as VNC? I would be delighted to be wrong. *RDP on Windows has
> show remarkable improvement with versions 6 and 7 to the point that it
> is almost as responsive as NX but I do not think xrdp takes advantage of
> that - John

Yes, xrdp does rely on VNC and so performance is not great, but it's
certainly passable for remote administration tasks and light web
browsing.

As for freenx, the OP can get nxserver itself from NoMachine's site.
It's limited to 2 simultaneous connections, however, but it's the real
deal. I don't know how much longer version 3 will be available there
(it will not be released freely in version 4).

--
Chris

Old 03-31-2012, 04:05 AM
"John A. Sullivan III"

On Fri, 2012-03-30 at 22:38 -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM, John A. Sullivan III
> <jsullivan@opensourcedevel.com> wrote:
> >>
> > Yes but doesn't xrdp rely upon VNC and thus have the same performance
> > issues as VNC? I would be delighted to be wrong. RDP on Windows has
> > show remarkable improvement with versions 6 and 7 to the point that it
> > is almost as responsive as NX but I do not think xrdp takes advantage of
> > that - John
>
> Yes, xrdp does rely on VNC and so performance is not great, but it's
> certainly passable for remote administration tasks and light web
> browsing.
>
> As for freenx, the OP can get nxserver itself from NoMachine's site.
> It's limited to 2 simultaneous connections, however, but it's the real
> deal. I don't know how much longer version 3 will be available there
> (it will not be released freely in version 4).
>
> --
> Chris

Thanks for the confirmation because I was not 100% sure.
I was disappointed to see NoMachine's proprietary approach to version 4
but that is why I recommended X2Go (www.x2go.org) - John

Old 03-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Vi, 30 mar 12, 22:38:53, Christofer C. Bell wrote:

> Yes, xrdp does rely on VNC and so performance is not great, but it's
> certainly passable for remote administration tasks and light web
> browsing.

I've had good experiences with x11vnc, especially for remote assistance.

Kind regards,
Andrei