Old 03-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Rogério Brito

Default Compiling samba (almost) minimally for a NAS

Dear people,

I have an ARM NAS that runs Debian, and it is currently serving files via
NFS to some machines of mine.

Unfortunately, my wife has to professionally use Windows and, as the NAS
only has 128MB, I would like to cut back both the number of programs and the
memory footprint of them.

For sharing files, I plan on using a stripped down version of samba (taken
from Debian's samba packages), with, essentially, only file sharing being
enabled (and browsing the network, so that my wife can find the NAS).

I don't need things like directory services, authentication, roaming
profiles, printing support etc.

Is there anybody that has attempted to create such a smaller package? If
yes, which options did you disable? And which build-dependencies did you
strip from the package to get it as small as possible?

Thanks in advance for any help,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
http://rb.doesntexist.org/blog : Projects : https://github.com/rbrito/

Old 03-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Vi, 30 mar 12, 06:34:23, Rogério Brito wrote:
> Dear people,
>
> I have an ARM NAS that runs Debian, and it is currently serving files via
> NFS to some machines of mine.
>
> Unfortunately, my wife has to professionally use Windows and, as the NAS
> only has 128MB, I would like to cut back both the number of programs and the
> memory footprint of them.

Are you aware that Windows can access NFS (not sure how complicated and
if it requires administrator password though)

> For sharing files, I plan on using a stripped down version of samba (taken
> from Debian's samba packages), with, essentially, only file sharing being
> enabled (and browsing the network, so that my wife can find the NAS).
>
> I don't need things like directory services, authentication, roaming
> profiles, printing support etc.

Did you consider ftp?

Kind regards,
Andrei